How to fix several sharp dings with no tools and no experience?

Hello everyone,

I write because I need your help please, my poor Qi is arrived at a point where it is very heavily dinged and while still play perfectly fine some dings are so sharp that start to cut the string while playing which is annoying and also cut my hands a bit while playing.
There is please a way to smooth the rims properly without any tools or experience in DIY?
I seriously have no idea how to fix something like that and also without destroy the weight/balance of the yoyo, I do not mind about the final look of it so it doesn’t have to look pretty but just be smooth both at the feel and also in playing.

Thanks,
Alberto

3 Likes

Get yourself some 400 grit sandpaper from your local hardware store and rub it over the dinged rims until they are smooth.

3 Likes

The most rough dings you can take a metal spoon and roll over the sharp spot that should help flatten it out. Then you can take some denim you don’t care about scrap denim or old jeans pants keg or whatever. Rub the spots with the jeans then if still rough take 1000grit sand paper and sand dine the areas if that’s not enough you can get courser grit sand paper 400 or 600 and sand.

I try to avoid sanding as your removing material and that’s going to affect balance a tad but in extreme cases the dings are probably enough the balance question doesn’t really matter. Once you start sanding it really doesn’t matter if you sand more so at that point you can play with polishing the yoyo or whatever. I have an Invictus that was sanded and polished due to so many dings it still plays fine.

4 Likes

Rub it gently on the sidewalk this is what I do when I’m out and about playing 5A and get a ding that leaves a scuff you can feel.

No tools or experience necessary and this method doesn’t add any more vibe than the ding you put on it in the first place. Easy peasy back to throwing.

2 Likes

Emery Boards (Ladies use them to shape and polish their Finger Nails. Use it like mentione above to “Sand” the spots that need it.

1 Like

+1

Works like a charm, sidewalk or a brick building, just knock off or flatten the sharp points.

I second the metal spoon trick. It might help to drag the edge across the burr a few time too.

I had a sharp crater in my RBC while away from home. I wanted to take the edge off so I worked away at it with a metal prying tool I had in my micro tool kit (not sure what kind of metal it is) and it worked like a charm and rounded down all the metal while hardly affecting the ano around it. I then rubbed it a bit on a piece of leather and BAM - That was it! Looks great now and I never needed to sand it, which would have taken a lot more material off.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the answers everyone, it actually worked perfectly with the spoon and a little bit of sandpaper as you suggest, no problems anymore with the string!

4 Likes