Cake’s String Reviews

This string is like my favorite dish at a local restaurant. I just can’t order anything else no matter how many times I visit. I love the way these react to response pads and I just love the cushy feel they have. Thanks for the review. Glad they feel the same to someone else. :grin:

2 Likes

About to get a TRT Buoy and it said it came with these, so hyped to try this string!

3 Likes

hey everyone, finals is kind of ruining me, so i wasn’t able to review anything today. had to reach into my secret pile of reviews i made when i was ultra Not Busy, enjoy :beers:

Twisted Strings Normal || F+ (58/100)
IMG_6117

I feel kind of bad for this string. I never like reviewing bad things, especially if it’s not by a big company that doesn’t specialize in string. To be completely honest, I didn’t like this. I just didn’t see any personality in this. It came out good, and it played fine. Similar to some other poly strings, though, it died fast and violent. By the end of the hour, It become really gross-looking, has NO stretch (I kind of laughed at this, i’m sorry), and felt like sandpaper. Along with this, it was too thin for me, and I’m using a 4.5 gap Monarch with HMY pads, which is a bit standard for 1A. Slacks would be better if the tension didn’t get in the way. The only redeeming part was whips, which felt pretty good. Overall, the thinness and subpar quality doesn’t really make this string all that fun. Props to the branding though, probably one of my favorites i’ve seen. Stats below :broken_heart::broken_heart:

Durability 30 min (3.5) surviving
Durability 1 hr (1) it’s so dead
Personal Thickness Feel (3) too thin
Whip Feel Break-In (3.5)
Whip Feel 1 hr (3.5) still solid, confusingly
Slack Feel Break-In (4) well and good, just have to deal with the tension
Slack Feel 1 hr (2) light, floppy, sad
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (3) eh
Softness during break-in (2.5) yuck
Overall consistency over 1 hour (3) eh
Total: 29, 29 x 2 = 58, 58 = F graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

by this time next week, i’ll be free from finals week :handshake: can’t wait

9 Likes

Make sure to try the thick too. I’m interested if you think that has more redeeming qualities cus I think it’s at least decent (and better than the normal)

1 Like

hehehe

Back at it, another twisted string review for you :index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

Twisted Strings Fat || C (76/100)

This was surprisingly good in the beginning, way better feeling than the normal thickness one. Thickness was GREAT, and it was perfect on my pragma. Had some fun, felt like good ol string, nothing special. Around the 40 minute mark of play is when i started noticing some snag popping up, and i have no idea what caused it. Maybe it’s the frays, maybe it’s the surface of the string worsening, maybe it’s my kinda naturally moist hands, but it got bad faster than alphaline. alphaline was more of a medium but then evened out downward slope, this was falling off of a cliff. It did have trouble sliding across itself near the gap, which i hate with all my heart. You can still get the job done with this if you’re better at yoyoing than i am, and whips and slacks feel, dare i say, fine after the hour. If you don’t mind your string looking and feeling like it went through a digestive system, this is worth it depending on price. tension holding was also great for this batch, but it can vary. Kitty Fat has some competition. Stats below!

Durability 30 min (4)
Durability 1 hr (2.5) fine playing but snaggy and frayed
Personal Thickness Feel (4) bit too thick but i bet some ppl would love this feeling
Whip Feel Break-In (4)
Whip Feel 1 hr (3.5) gotta be clean
Slack Feel Break-In (4)
Slack Feel 1 hr (3.5) hurt by snag
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall(4)
Softness during break-in (4.5)
Overall consistency over 1 hour (4) not bad!!
Total: 38 x 2 = 76, 76 = C graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

11 Likes

forgot today was saturday, christmas planning has been hectic. no string review this week, merry christmas and/or happy holidays to every one of yall :beers:

10 Likes

hellooo it’s review time:3

Twisted Strings Super Fat || D- (61/100)

This is the pinnacle of decent. It gets the job done, but i wouldn’t go out of my way to buy it. It felt fine, a lot like Ot Fat in terms of thickness, maybe a small bit softer too. Whips felt pretty good, and it can definitely move in the air well enough. Slacks were kind of slow and had some weight to them while also being pretty noticeable. It started off ok, and in true Twisted Strings fashion, kind of plummeted in quality. Slacks got a bit slower, whips got floppier, and the bad tension holding and thickness combined into the snaggy knotty gross feeling puddle that’s kind of common for poly strings like this. Maybe we’re familiar with this by now. Lastly, the consistency felt pretty weird if i’m being honest. I never felt like I could hit the same trick the same way twice if that makes sense. Overall, nothing special. Hope my cat likes playing with it. Stats below.

Durability 30 min (3) does the thing
Durability 1 hr (3)
Personal Thickness Feel (3.5) i get this, feels like ot fat
Whip Feel Break-In (4)
Whip Feel 1 hr (2.5)
Slack Feel Break-In (3) weighted, FEELABLE
Slack Feel 1 hr (3) more slow than anything, not my taste
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (2.5) eh
Softness during break-in (4) nice!
Overall consistency over 1 hour (2) just not good, i wish i could pinpoint a cause
Total: 30.5 x 2 = 61, 61 = D- graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

bout it, super sleepy :pensive:

7 Likes

Could you review C3’s Pro String when you can? Got it from my bastet (it felt PERFECT), and wanted to see your thoughts on it.

2 Likes

i already reviewed it for someone, i’ll post it next week :))

1 Like

Hello again! This is a request from @Benthrowsyoyo which he sent along with a Hydrogen Crash for a trade (thanks again ben :beers:). Also requested from @Spaghider :smiling_face:

C3 Pro String (Fat) || D+ (67/100)
Pro String

Touching it kind of reminded me of just generic fat string, similar to Twisted Strings Fat or Kitty Fat. It was also pretty soft, and i really thought it would just be your average fat string. Over time, I slowly started to hate it. With the last 15 minutes, it started turning into a hot rough snaggy mess, even on my yo-yos with slip. Whips aren’t forgiving, unlike some other strings that make them incredibly easier. If you have the right technique it can fly, but if you don’t have it then you’re gonna have to start developing it. Slacks were heavy but fast, didn’t keep form amazingly well but it was serviceable. Everything felt a bit awkward, and i don’t know how else to describe it. I think that overall, it’s good string, but it doesn’t hit any marks really well besides the consistency of everything. It was always the same serviceable slack, and it always had the same serviceable feel to the whips and especially binds. And it was consistently a snaggy pain in my ■■■. I have a grudge against this string, but that’s just me. Stats below.

Durability 30 min (4.5) pretty good for pink string
Durability 1 hr (2) WHOA
Personal Thickness Feel (4) slightly awkward feeling fat string
Whip Feel Break-In (3.5)
Whip Feel 1 hr (3)
Slack Feel Break-In (3.5) fast and heavy, flops on occasion
Slack Feel 1 hr (3) bit more floppy but still same
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (1.5) torture
Softness during break-in (4) good!
Overall consistency over 1 hour (4.5)
Total: 33.5 x 2 = 67, 67 = D+ graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

Quick note, I live in a pretty humid environment and I have naturally sweaty hands, so my string probably wears out faster than most. Just something to keep in mind. First review of the new year, here’s to more :beers:

14 Likes

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

The non-pink variety is better trust

3 Likes

-Requests review
-Sends pink for review

“Non-pink variety is better trust”

:skull:

5 Likes

I am, how you call

A sore loser

2 Likes

Will you review the new kitty whip string?
It looks interesting.

2 Likes

i hope to, i think someone’s sending me some! l check again, and if i get it in i’ll prioritize it and tag you when it’s up :handshake:

2 Likes

Review Update: realized my Monarch’s pads (yoyo i use for thickness reviews) were getting pretty bad, so i changed them out and will break them in right now. im estimating it needed changing around the Twisted Strings Normal review, so all thickness ratings are getting a 0.5 boost or decrease based on if it was too thin or thick, which should change the score by +/- 1. This is to compensate for the lack of grip on the pads during those reviews. Hope that’s ok!

3 Likes

can confirm: c3 pro pink variant is specially bad. like, really bad. it plays awful when it close to its death.

5 Likes

review time! this was sent in by the fabulous @MarkD, thanks again :heart_hands: mk1 is one of my favorite companies, hope everyone’s enjoying their bathys and brexias

Fox Tails || D+ (68/100)

photo taken from @foxtails_yoyostring on instagram

I’m gonna be honest, this string did not feel like it was for me right off the bat. It feels scaley, has a super tight wind, and has a weird feeling when you bind, like there’s only either too little string or too much and it snaps back at it. This is very yoyo and pad dependent though, so don’t pay too much attention to it. It wasn’t “soft” like how some other strings are, but it was fairly good feeling, just different. REALLY different, like the string was thawing out. Slacks felt somewhat hefty, but moved so fast i would forget how thick it felt when it would touch me. I don’t know if it’s nylon, but it is VERY FAST, and while it’s not my personal style, i’ll commend it on being fun to use when my technique was down. Whip and slack feeling did not change, but how fast the string would move in the air messed with certain tricks that involved 3d slack elements. Whips specifically were CRAZY fast, and i struggled hitting basic 1.0 hooks, brent stoles, and 1.5 hooks given how violently whippy the string was. I’m finally learning negative hooks, and this string seems just a bit overtuned for those too. Consistently was about average and the tension holding was very manageable, it just builds up fast. Overall, pretty good string but it’s too uncomfortable for me. A review like this shows a flaw in my system, since nylon (or whatever this is) takes a few hours to fully break in, i only use it for an hour, and this string was BRAND new. I have lots of respect for the colorways though, one of the best i’ve seen. Stats below.

Durability 30 min (5) nope
Durability 1 hr (5) nope
Personal Thickness Feel (1.5) yuck
Whip Feel Break-In (3.5) so whippy it’s bad
Whip Feel 1 hr (3.5)
Slack Feel Break-In (3.5) fast and hefty, but super light w style, can’t really feel where it is bc
Slack Feel 1 hr (3.5)
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (4)
Softness during break-in (2)
Overall consistency over 1 hour (2.5)
Total: 34 x 2 = 68, 68 = D+ graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

7 Likes

I’m curious to know how MagicYoyo’s string holds up against these sought after strings. My (re-)entry into throwing is Crystal K2 Plus and didn’t even know strings could throw differently. I was about to pick up a sampler pack but 3 of the 5 samples included strings rated D or below on here. Now I’m planning to just buy a starter pack of Kitty and Sochi.
I am particularly enticed by Executive Class LITE, but a bit expensive for my taste compared to my current abilities and play style (casual af). If I personally notice a difference between stock MagicYoYo and Kitty/Sochi, I’ll spring for Executive Class LITE.

5 Likes

so happy to see you getting back into the hobby, things have changed a ton. lots of these are rated for slack and whip 1A tricks. some good early ones are plastic whip, jade whip, and hooks. once you get to a place where the string is actively moving as a part of the trick, i’m sure you’ll see a difference. feel free to dm me or start a thread here if you have any questions

2 Likes