Brent stole and 1.5 hook help?

hey y’all, i’m finally getting around to learning more impressive tricks after drilling basic hops and mounts, but i just cant understand 1.5 hook or brent stole.
for the 1.5, i can pinch the string and send it over to my throw hand, but i can’t get the hook to land, either because there’s not enough slack or i miss.
for brent stole, any time i whip and pinch the string and move my throw hand forward i just end up landing in a trapeze
any advice helps, really wanna get these down :pray:

4 Likes

Don’t pinch the string on either tricks. You just intercept with your NTH and make a hook with your pointer.

2 Likes

that’s what i meant, sorry!

I can’t do 1.5 hook yet been trying here and there lately without luck so I look forward to what people say. I get confused on how much I need to whip compared to Brent stole/single hook. Is it a half rotation extra than a single hook?

When I learned brent stole I was swinging my arm hard at first like throwing a baseball. I found a quick but lighter whip motion works and it’s less tiring. I just did a few and noticed I dont really hook the string much with my non throw hand it just kinda catches on the bottom of my finger slightly bent. I found the best tip, for me atleast, to getting brent stole is soon as the yoyo reaches its peak and is about to descent back down to move my throw hand a few inches forward. That tip seems to be the movement that makes it catch for me.

1 Like

When you push your TH hand forward for brent stole, make sure your TH stays above the height of the yoyo. If your TH pushes forward below the height of the yoyo you’ll end up in that trapeze.

7 Likes

Watch this vid a bunch of times. There are two ways to do 1.5 hook. Intercept on the left or intercept on the right. Left side is easier imo.

Edit also keep you hands closer together like awkwardly close almost and you will get a bigger slack to open and hook it. But watch that video a bunch and it doesn’t matter if you know what he’s saying lol idk why but that’s the video that helped me learn it

6 Likes

i’m doing this and still ending up in a trapeze, not too keen on videotaping right now since i’m a mess but i’m keeping my throw hand always above the yoyo and hooking the string and moving my throw hand forward and still landing in a trapeze

this helped a lot! now im either not putting enough energy into it to form the whip or im landing in a brother mount, which is weird.

1 Like

How are you ending up in trapeze? You shouldn’t be landing on the string coming off your throw hand. On Brent stole you should:
1 pop and swing the string like hook
2 intercept one side of the loop with NTH
3 move TH outward to block the loop above the yoyo
4 profit

3 Likes

it’s definitely an issue with number 3, i feel like i’m intercepting it but i just end up with the string around my finger :broken_heart: i’ll see if i can video it eventually

Are you ending up in a knot?

1 Like

no, basic trapeze miss

For brentstole I always recommend this video. I would recommend whipping behind the yoyo the moving your throw hand forward. This causes the slack to come up and over the yoyo

For 1.5 hook Henry’s comment is gold. Catch with the yoyo on the outside. If your are right handed you want be to catch from the left of the yoyo, just like a regular hook. You might be trying from the right if you are landing in a brother mount. The slack/ hook loop should go over you TH. Also I want to echo the hands close together is a good idea since it creates a larger loop, but in my experience makes the slack travel slower. You can speed up the slack by pulling the string away from the yoyo with your NTH.

Whip tricks take time so be patient. It can be challenging to put all the pieces together at once, but once you understand the mechanics it’s a lot easier. Good luck.

2 Likes

I land in a trapeze sometimes when I just miss the brent stole, I think it’s normal. That’s actually a trick called laceration if I remember correctly? Id have to check in slow motion but from the feel of it I think it happens when the yoyo has fell just below where the triangle would be for the brent stole and catches on the string below.

Here is a whip I do that is a good stepping stone to 1.5 hook. It is basically 1.5 hook but without NTH. It’s fairly easy to add NTH if you can get this whip bc the hard part is getting the whip to hit right. Notice how my throw hand index cuts down into the top of the string. That helps the string come around to hook the yoyo.

You should never be landing in trapeze when you miss Brent stole bc both hands should be above the Yoyo. If you miss, the yoyo should just fall down bc the string is held above the Yoyo. You’re either whipping it too early or keeping nth too low.

I highly suggest you film yourself even if you don’t share it here yet. Seeing your self on video is a great way to identify what is wrong with your technique. Good luck these tricks are hard to learn at first but they get easier. Also check string tension very often bc missing them a few times in a row can have string tension totally out of whack and your shoulder will thank you for not wasting attempts. Also whip from the shoulder.

7 Likes

Nah both hands should be above the Yoyo and the whip should start from the inside so like the only way to land in trapeze is hands are too low or the string is whipped under the Yoyo which means TH was too far forward when initially throwing the whip. Both are easy mistakes to fix tho .

2 Likes

Brent Stole is a challenging trick. Here are my tips. The idea of filming is a good one. It helps you analyze your technique. Hope this helps best wishes on landing it!

Brent Stole YouTube

1 Like

this got me hitting it, thanks!! next is 1.5 hook :saluting_face:

update practiced it for a while, but can’t figure out how to make the triangle part bigger so i’m taking a break since my arm hurts bad

2 Likes

bring hands closer together

2 Likes