Brent Stole help

So, it seems as though Brent Stole has "un-clicked’ for me. I went from being able to hit it 75% of the time to like 5% of the time. Has this ever happened to you?

I never felt like I had it perfectly locked down, it always felt more like an educated guess.

Now, Hidemasa hook is a trick that I 100% have nailed down. I know that BS is mechanically really similar.

Any advise?

7 Likes

Something that has helped me is really accentuating the whipping motion of your arm. With hook I kinda snap my hand, but with BS I almost bring it around in a big circle

2 Likes

K, I’ll try this and get back to you. Thanks fam

1 Like

This is how I learned it.

2 Likes

happened to me. I don’t know what happened but I feel like I got hit by one of the men in black memory erase pens. can’t land a Brent to save my life and I had them down

4 Likes

It’s weird, huh? What’s up with that?

2 Likes

H hook is a straight whip, while with BS - you need to bring your TH out towards the right (2 o’clock)

3 Likes

This is how I’m feelin about 3a trapeze right now :roll_eyes:

Anyway, Brent stole, hook, laceration, and the inverses were all tricks that were kinda once I got it I got it kind of thing. Once I landed it a few times it just clicked altogether.

I’ve been trying to get comfortable with those tricks with my left hand though and they are most definitely not clicking like they did with my dominant hand, I’m having the same feeling you are.

Honestly I just think it’s because I’m not very comfortable with the motion, because I know what to do and what I’m doing wrong. So maybe the first step is to make sure you really understand what’s going on and what’s supposed to happen with the string.

I feel like from there it’s just about getting comfortable with the motion

1 Like

The exact same thing happened to me when I learned hook lol. I could hit stole pretty consistently now I can’t at all.

1 Like

There must be something about hook that conflicts with the subtle mechanics of stole. It’s interesting that so many people have had the same experience. I even had someone contact me in private message confirming that they too had the same problem.

Curious… :thinking:

It’s all in the TH - telling youuu

I personally didn’t have an issue with one vs the other but they are definitely subtly different motions.

TH movement might be the key, also you could try exaggerating your laceration motion more.

I’ve noticed a lot of people that don’t have the trick on lock don’t have a large enough swing and their TH tends to look stiff

The best Brent Stole tutorial ever made:

2 Likes

^ this is the video that helped me learn

1 Like

Go and ask Brent nicely for it back.

4 Likes

I have this exact same problem. I really like the way lord of the flies looks but I just can’t get the BS portion consistent. Even just doing it from a sleeper I do good to land it 40% of the time.

2 Likes

@ClaytonDM care to run through the element/motion after the iron whip? I don’t understand that part but can do literally everything else with my eyes closed

1 Like

I’m going to say something different here because I know you’re making your own strings. With Brent Stole, different string types play a big role in how you should do the trick. To analyze this further, if I’m using Kitty string, I have to put more force into the whipping motion. On the other hand, if I’m using a string with a lot of “bounce,” I try to use as little force as possible. Less is more sometimes. In other words, use more force for strings made out of cotton and less for nylon strings. Blends are somewhere in the middle. But you’ll have to experiment on your own.

3 Likes

Film yourself in slow motion, both landing it and missing it. Several times if you feel like you’re missing it in different ways. Then you can scrub through the footage and nail down what’s actually happening. Since you already likely understand what’s mechanically happening this can help you spot what you need to work on specifically.

2 Likes