Bootleg yoyos not allowed in competition?

Prepare for a lock.

Anyways, I think that yoyos are yoyos, and that competitions and yoyo politics should not mix.

ears twitch curiously

Arf, now now children, lets all play nice, no need to call out any companies or individuals here.

The no bootleg rule was really only active around 08 when it was a big deal. But this rule is no longer kept track of at any contest as if it were the case, it would be too difficult and take too much time to deal with for a contest to run smoothly.

Also, if this had been the case, I know quite a few players who would have been disqualified from contest the last few years, but none have.

That said, throw what plays good, simple as that. And dont over-think things, and you’ll be fine.

Awroof!

Haru

1 Like

I was jw because the Slepnir says china version I don’t actually plan on buying it I’m one of those people that wants the original ;D

the point being… someone knowly buying a bootleg Turning Point they are buying it because Kentaro designed the yoyo and it is know to perform well. There are 100s of generic non bootlegs out there that also serve this function. There is a reason he wants a bootleg Turning Point.

Kentaro is not getting paid. He did the work. That is theft.

There are many fake YYR now available that even use YYR branding. This is misleading purchasers, clouding the resale market and taking money from kids who don’t know better.

You guys really want to argue this is ok?

smh.

If you don’t know what you are talking about it is best not to post. Your post is GROSSLY misleading.

YoYoFactory has worked with BOTH the brands you mention as partners of projects in China.

2 Likes

So wouldn’t that mean the Aoda Sunshine and Rainbow aren’t 888 bootlegs? And if you worked with Auldey for the Avant Garde, then why was Takuto upset after seeing the Avant Garde? I’m going to try and find those posts from the Chinese yoyo forum. And isn’t it funny YOU’RE telling me not to post if I don’t know what I’m talking about? Why don’t you explain to me how I am stealing, and how this is promoting bootlegs.

The JK is a Dancing Pearl you rebranded and sold for more.

This will get deleted, because every post criticizing YYF is. When Ben said YYF was the only company innovating in looping, I called him out for it, pointing out RecRev’s Reverb. It got deleted.

1 Like

Aoda Sunshine and Rainbow were straight up bootlegs. rather than shake our finger and point we tried to work WITH them. There was potential for win/win rather than fight/fight. Didn’t work out but we tried. Their latest yoyo is a straight up copy of Bandais motorized yoyo… such is life. Sometimes it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Takuto situation was some misunderstanding, some unprofessionalism and some BS. I don’t know how much of each but we had permission from Auldey, who we had a joint venture contract with and distributed our yoyos in China. Takuto had a falling out with Auldey during that time… They never made his yoyo a reality because (no disrespect intended) it needed some serious work. I (to this day) have not seen a production ready L4. We even offered design tips TO Auldey/ Takuto to make what he wanted commercially viable. We honored our part of the agreement, he was upset with us, but so was representatives from 3 other brands who accused us of stealing the same idea from them (4 if you count wacko Italian B!st).

1 Like

I am not a moderator… but I am a 2a player and I could give you my opinion of the reverb as a player if you want it.

Im also a very knowledgable historian and I can offer you a run down on yoyo design.

For example, B!ST invented the negative shape, Takuto the cut on the face of the yoyo, Tom Kuhn the ball bearing and the Reverb was a unique never before seen concept.

and in an unrelated matter here is an SKF yoyo.

3 Likes

Mind if I ask what those three other brands were? I’m guessing Henry’s.

None of them were S.kon, who was a UNDOUBTABLY a HUGE inspiration.

SW Vektor 2008

Those were like $500 though, so…

and we brought it back into vogue 8) (for less than $500) :wink:

seen any other brands take inspiration from it lately? and to bring it back to the original topic going on… to their credit none of these designs are dead set clones, they are being sold on the merit of them being variations to suit someones taste or style. They may be better, they may not be BUT they are not being sold on the merit of them being cheaper clones.

There is a base of knowledge in yoyo design. When a yoyo is made you take from all the work people have done before you BUT you also contribute to that base. It allows yoyos to get better. Bootlegging is taking without contributing.

2 Likes

Hey, I resent this.

Mr. B!st is a genius.

If you hired him on to do all of your product designing, that would be a match made in heaven. A genius paired with a company with the resources to back his visions.

Just because the guy also proves witty enough to make you look bad doesn’t make him wacko. He’s hilarious and you’re all way too serious.

Cool people “get” and respect B!st. Take your hate someplace else.

2 Likes

So this thread is about me?

Ok, I’ll play more.

"wacko[ wak-oh ]
noun

1. an eccentric, strange, or odd person."

I don’t think he would argue that description. I think most people of genius would fit it. Otherwise they would be average.

Why do you assume it is hate?

Ok, just seems like everyone is hating on the guy so I jumped to a conclusion. Wacko seems a little derogatory in your usage, and you slipped it in there so it seemed like you were trying to subtle-ly disparage him. We should all be supporting innovation, not trying to make innovators look crazy just because they aren’t involved in big business.

@ben: just out of curiosity, what’s your side of the story for the whole muffin top/replay thing? I know it’s quite an old topic, and this thread has far been derailed, but again, I’m just curious while you’re here.

Me B!ST makes me the arch nemesis to what he does. Every hero needs a villain. :slight_smile:

So who’s the hero and who’s the villain?

If you guys are opposed, I’m picturing David and Goliath. And he’s Goliath. Hahahah. You still win in the end, but ultimately, he’s bigger, badder, scarier and way cool.

Have you seen the Bandai StarFly? It is probably the best place to see what replay was to us. The body shape facilitated interchangeable inners to allow customization either by user or manufacturer. The concept of a non-body version was almost secondary to the design process. The fact a $10 plastic yoyo resembled a less than (?)piece unreleased metal yoyo - uncanny, not intended and for all intents and purposes not at all related. Were we going for the look? No, the feel? No, the performance?

Sadly we couldn’t get a product for our market out of the concept but Japan is & will get more.

I am yet to see anyone make a commercial metal yoyo in the concept and if manufacturers will get beaten up for trying I can’t see it happening. Metal replay with plastic inserts would be rad but if everyone is going to scream bootleg for us trying I guess it isn’t worth it.