Boingy Boing (Need help)

Pretty sure an xt is for the basics and looping and that’s it I would prefer a fixie as well. Not saying you can’t do more advanced stuff but that’s definitely it’s purpose

5 Likes

Don’t blame the tool!!!

I know what people are saying. It’s not necessary to start with a difficult yoyo to do it on. Just don’t say it can’t be done.

4 Likes

Never blamed the tool. If you want a beginner to learn boingy on an xt cool but it would do nothing but turn me off to the yoyo. Y’all can post links all day idc not changing my opinion. Wouldn’t learn boingy on that more like a challenge to land it on later. Facts. Also if he’s working on rock the baby I’d say boingy is a bit out of reach… but whatever y’all can have your opinions

3 Likes

I hate boingy e boing . I can do it but it’s super ugly. I have never been able to keep it in rhythm for more than 10 seconds

2 Likes

Honestly, I did not post that video to prove anything. I just thought it was cool to watch a pro do tough stuff on an XT and show it CAN be done…after a person has mastered their throw and plane-keeping which for some of us is a struggle.

4 Likes

He’s obviously WAY better than I’ll ever be, but still only saw him do 4 boings and get it back to his hand. Yeah it’s definitely possible to do em on the XT, but not ideal for learning this trick imo.

2 Likes

Okay, I just did 10 on my Oak Harbinger! A personal record for a fixie!

However, I found my son’s XT and was only able to do 5, and did get 6 a couple of times.
That was with the loop out at the end, but I had to really throw it hard, and hit the boings perfectly! I had to practice it before I could do more than 4.

I do the slit bottom with one continuous motion, but when I did it the traditional way, I barked my knuckles a few good times. Took me a bit to be able to do it at all that way.

So I’ve come around a bit to others’ opinions. It is possible to do it on the XT, but it’s a bit like trying to learn Little Wing on a fretless guitar as a beginner.

If you want to stick with responsive, maybe?

Anybody have ideas for responsives that would be a bit easier than the XT?

Happy Anniversary @KiLbUcK !!!

3 Likes

Anything without starburst response or YYF thick pads!!!

4 Likes

@Roy_Dodge does boingy in every yoyo he review he does on his youtube channel, Casual Throw. He does the trick with yoyos of all kinds of sizes of unresponsive yoyos and I think the Turbo Bumble Bee, a responsive. If this is the main trick you really want to do then pretty much any unresponsive yoyo would be great and it does not have to be an expensive one either.

3 Likes

I hate starburst… makes the yoyo useless after a while too looking at my Duncan dragonfly I wish played like it used to that they don’t make anymore

1 Like

Not sure if this will help, but here’s a couple angles, with some slow-mo mixed in. This thread gave me the urge to mess around with my Butterfly XT a bit so I figured I might as well record something.

8 Likes

You’re a swell guy! I never saw you use an XT before. That was pretty impressive!

3 Likes

Thanks! It was marooned in my office for most of the pandemic but I brought it home after the new year so I could give it some love. Sweet throw for $5.

5 Likes

I managed to get 3-4 bounces (short ones) every 2 hours or more, i dont remember. I had some really energizing music on. REALLY loud.

I had no idea i was trying it the hard way, i know nothing about yoyos. When i was in elementary school in the 90s… they had people perform and give out free yoyos.

I got the butterfly from them, but it was white and it glowed in the dark and i couldn’t make it sleep.

Glad it CAN be done on the XT… butterfly XT takes me back to the good ol days.

I’m ok with just 3… but not every trillions of tries untill i get it Lol.

thanks guys, keep yoyoing!

3 Likes

Butterfly XT is all they have at the stores here, but im glad anyway because duncans are ORIGINAL.

I use to hate them, and i remember everybody in class hated them because well they thought the duncans don’t sleep or something.

I hated them too… i was a fan of my yomega x-brain… if you had the longest sleep time on you’re yoyo, you where considered the greatest yoyo player at school!

3 Likes

ChrisFrancz Boingy-Boing is all i want really… i wouldn’t be using a yoyo if it wern’t for that. Don’t think i will be learning anything else.

Roy_Doge you made it look easy! I can get it… just got to wait couple hours.

I aint going to lie… i jumped in the air and did a 360 degree turn when i did it the first time, i was in disbelief.

Music helps if you are starting out. Skateboarding is hard too… it took me 2 years to flip the board and land it with both feet.

I’m just thinking of this trick like im skateboarding or something, helps alot.

6 Likes

Awesome, man! For more boings you really want an unresponsive yoyo because the gap is much wider and you will get soooo much more spin time. I’m happy you’re getting it! I know the feeling!

3 Likes

It’s a great start! You are well on your way to having it down. Just a matter of getting it to “click” and then you’ve got it. There wasn’t much progression for me with this one. For months I couldn’t do it at all and then one day it came together pretty well. There wasn’t much of an “I kinda got it” phase.

2 Likes

You beat me to it, lining up your strings, RHYTHM and timing are the key to this gem.

Did one this morning.

2 Likes