Board Game Players

Memorizing the two letter word list is way more important than having a deep vocabulary of long, fancy words to draw from. Scrabble is more about positioning, words just happen to be the medium in which you play.

2 Likes

Yeah, shogi time controls need to be trimmed in order to bring the game into the 21st century, IMO. But you know those Japanese…traditional to the core. I’m kinda surprised they use any time controls at all.

My favorite is chess, but Risk, Stratego, and Connect Four get played pretty often with my daughters. Never forget how happy my 8 year old daughter was first time she won Risk.

Technically not a board game I guess, but we love KnifeTank by @DocPop too. Such a good game.

2 Likes

Thanks for the shoutout. I’m really proud of KnifeTank!

I have another game that some of y’all might like. It’s called One Dimensional Chess and it’s pay-what-you-want on Itch. It’s a chess variant with a special board that you can print out (or make out of wood if you want).

9 Likes

Eclipse & Scythe are my current favorites.

1 Like

Ha. That would imply I have people to play said games with.

I didn’t have friends to play board games with growing up. I used to play Magic the Gathering all the time. Not a board game but it was the first time I had people to play a game with. Then we moved and we don’t see each other anymore so that’s when my yo-yo collection got out of hand haha.

I’m loving seeing all these games though! I picked up Brandubh and really wanted to try Go at some point. Chess is a favorite. Maybe I’ll take out a small business loan and buy one of those cool magnetic chess boards you hook up to the internet and play with people around the world.

2 Likes

Chess.

4 Likes

I love playing scythe also. Dead of winter is one of my favorites also

2 Likes

Dead of Winter is another of my favorites; I was just talking last night about wanting to get a game in.

Does X-Wing Miniatures count? Me and my mom freaking loved that game!

4 Likes

Love me some board games. In no particular order here are some of my favourites:

• Mysterium
  • Keyflower
  • Castles of Burgundy
  • Concordia
  • Puerto Rico
  • Azul
4 Likes

I’ve only played American but would love to try the original Indian version!

I like playing American Carrom with an Indian striker instead of a wooden cue.

1 Like

Chess and checkers and such. Actually just picked up an old chess set we had as kids my mom held onto. Nothing fancy but I always liked the pieces. Surprised it only has one knife broken off a piece. Not my picture but it’s the Classic Games Ancient Rome set.

5 Likes

I love this game SO much! I’ve got all the expansions except for the newest one. It’s frustrating that I wasn’t able to hook my friend on the game…but there was some solo rules made that are pretty fun.

There’s a new Star Wars version of the game coming out this fall! :smiley:

1 Like

Oh snap! Good looking out!!! :sunglasses::heart_eyes::partying_face:

In my experience Villainous is tough to get folks started sometimes but I haven’t found anyone who hasn’t enjoyed it if we’ve been able to bring them around to play their first game. Even some non-Disney folks have asked for a re-play afterward.

We’re not huge on the Marvel, but they have that expansion too (only one we don’t have). Besides the obvious greedy reasons I’m excited for this new Star Wars one because it’s going to bring a lot more people to the game!

Most of the time we just play two players. The new expansion is capital O so good. Madam Mim scared the pants off me waaaay back when. Such a fantastic addition. Other two characters are pretty ok too :grin::wink:.

1 Like

I suppose I should drop my go to games:

• 7 Wonders Duel
  • Sagrada
  • Azul
  • Eldritch Horror
  • Too Many Bones
1 Like

I love chess! I have never heard of 99.9% of the games mentioned here. They all sound very cool and as if they’d be difficult to learn.

1 Like

Most of them are easier to learn than Chess.

1 Like

A lot of them have rules more complex then chess, but chess has more complicated strategies in my opinion.

1 Like