Big Problem Urgent Help Please my yoyo is cutting strings

Guys my yoyo is cutting strings due to removing the yoyo with plyers. iwas new to plyers so when using i made a lot of scratches on the surface near the bearing . its cutting my yoyo string . check the picture below . what should i do now ? please

Call an ambulance or go right to the emergency room. That yo-yo is in dire condition and I’m not sure you can do much for him.

2 Likes

Get some fine sandpaper, remove the response pad, do very light sanding around the area. A dremel with a polishing wheel could work too.

5 Likes

also in addition to this, best works when you dunk a little bit of water on the fine sanpaper for smoother finish for your yoyo.

2 Likes

The question is who told you to use pliers?
At least if you are willing to risk it, use multiple layers of thick fabric before gripping to prevent scratches.

Depending on how deep the scratch is, you may or may not be able to sand it down. Try 600 grit then go up in increments to at least 2000-ish, finish with some metal polish.

2 Likes

Oouch!

Get a decent yoyo tool like the one from Zgrt.

brooo no jokes

some guy said plyers are better than buying a bearing tool .i believed cuz i was new to yoyoing

Can you show a better picture of the damage on the Yoyo? Sounds like you may have a little Burr.

Emery Board for polishing finger nails could work well. You want to flatten out the burr but NOT remove as much finish as possible.

3 Likes

Don’t use pliers.
They probably work just fine for some people but the problem is that you risk damaging your yoyo.
Using a bearing tool is totally worth it considering you won’t damage any $50+ yoyo’s. They are also relatively inexpensive with yoyo factory multi tools only costing around $6, and magic yoyo has some available that are only $2.

What yoyo are you using?

1 Like

Great excuse to get a new yo-yo; along with a bearing-removal tool. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

And never listen to “some guy”

3 Likes

he’s using a deviant at the pic… I reckon he saw brandons vid using pliers

2 Likes

I saw that video too and I believe I commented about this. Unfortunately he skipped explaining that most metal yoyos are made of aluminum and steel scratch aluminum way too easily.
Either use cloth on top of the bearing before using the pliers or get a bearing remover.

1 Like

I used pliers for ages without issues (and I am sure many other people), also when the bearing tool didn’t exist, it’s all about be careful when you handle the pliers.

Now the damage is done, I would say to buy another throw if you don’t want to stress yourself with sanding and stuff, it happen to all of us to break yoyos, I did thousand times destroying the axl cause the various dings

yes exactly

Have you been able to repair your throw?

I’ve used the inside part of the jaws of my multi tool to remove bearings but do so very gently as to not contact the area around the response pads with no issue (Gerber Dime fits perfect around the bearing and small enough).

Depending on how rough the surface is, I’ve heard also taking the yoyo and rubbing a leather belt or some denim along the area could smooth out the burr.

To remove a C size bearing a 1/4 drill bit works just fine. Same as most bearing tools. For other size bearings experiment with various drill bits if available.

1 Like

This is good advice, but if you don’t live in the US chances are your drill bit isn’t imperial, also finding one is not that easy.

I have tried all sorts of things, trust me getting a proper bearing remover is a no brainer after considering all of those.

1 Like