Best yoyos of 2021

It was an instant favorite as soon as I got it, honestly if I was going to design a yoyo the Guitarist is very much like what I’d design myself. When I got my Daredevil, my first thought was that it feels a lot like the Guitarist but smaller. So if you like the Daredevil, you’ll probably like the Guitarist too. Both have a similar profile, which is very comfortable in the hand. The Guitarist is only about 1mm bigger in diameter and maybe 2-3mm wider, but that small size difference makes the yoyos feel very different. They’re both in my top 5 favorites I’ve ever played.

Besides the size, the other main difference is the cup: the Daredevil has that matador spike, while the Guitarist has a flatter cup that reminds me of the Metalhead, but flattened out and widened. The Guitarist is a little more rim-weighted than the Daredevil. The way I’d describe them is the Guitarist is a little more floaty/casual, while the Daredevil is a little more zippy and compact. They’re really about on par for me, I don’t know if I like one or the other more because they’re both absolutely fantastic. They might as well have been made for me lol.

Edited to add the side-by-side photo because I’m dumb and forgot to put it in. Whoops.

6 Likes

Very cool. Thanks a lot. I think I’ll have to get a Guitarist as well…

2 Likes

Man, this year really was a blur. I had to look back on when I got all my yo-yos this year and I can’t believe I got my Recess Komodo right at the end of 2020. It feels like I’ve had it forever.

The only one I got that was actually released this year was the Daredevil, which has become one of my favorites. However, the best that I got this year is the Legendary Terrarian. I got it in February and it’s been my most thrown since by a large margin. There’s just something magical about it :yo-yo: :heart:

4 Likes

Well I just started this year but my favorite releases so far are the Thesis Da Capo and the Mod44

14 Likes

I know exactly how you feel. The Legendary Terrarian was the first yo-yo that totally ’clicked’ for me. A few others have done that since then, but the LT will always be a favorite of mine based on how much time I’ve spent with it.

3 Likes

An underrated throw, and my personal favourite, the Goji!

A unique feeling to any other organics I own. Atmos doesn’t miss.

22 Likes

I’m not sure if these all came out this year but, mcmo, burnside 20/20, pockeht, pv44, and day tripper.

17 Likes

I forgot the vow and aitch!

I like every yo-yo that works though. It’s hard for me to not like a yo-yo.
The only thing that makes me not like or want to buy one is the name or artwork.

14 Likes

1st: recog 2nd: overdrive draupnir

4 Likes

From the ones I bought this year: shooting star, otter, Backstage Pass, panorama, mcmo

11 Likes

My favorite has to be the Assassin. It practically lives in my jacket pocket.

18 Likes

For me I am torn between two. Both undersized due to my undersized yoyo love and obsession. The goji and the 138 are both getting an obscene amount of pocket time from me. @fatguysnacks247 and @rnsy both knocked it out of the park again with these throws.

Best throws I let go this year would hands down be a chief and a draupnir.

And the two throws I regret missing are the panorama and a stormberry (I know there are some left but the funds just aren’t there for me with the holidays)

9 Likes

Mod 44

6 Likes

I am seriously lovin’ the GWAY Daredevil.

8 Likes

thank you bro, shout out to the cats repping FTY pieces, it’s humbling and appreciated

9 Likes

I have two favorites from this year. (In no particular order)

Both of these yoyos are part of a small group of yoyos that I have taken the time to review.

The first is the Redacted by yoyoworkshop. This yo-yo and I go way back, and it can handle pretty much anything with ease. A real all around performer. It does this better than the vast majority of yoyos that try to do the same thing.

The second is the Sengoku Shinobi. This was a little controversial due to its odd trimetal design, and an M shape, so I wasn’t sure what to expect when I got it.
I was quite surprised to find that it’s the most powerful yo-yo I own, that it excels at horizontal, and refuses to die on speed combos. An exceptionally good competition throw, accomplished in an unusual way.

Here are my reviews:
REDEACTED:

SHINOBI:
Sengoku SHINOBI Review and Demo (Trimetal M Shape) - YouTube

17 Likes

Gonna put in another vote for the Assassin. It’s price point, Ability, size, and fun level make it so good.

8 Likes

I think I voted already but I appreciate all the love for the assassin and 5050!! Besides those 2 probably the daredevil, 138, or hybrid!

8 Likes

I haven’t tried everything, but the one I’ve enjoyed the most unresponsive wise, is the End 2. It’s everything I wanted the Eetsit to be perfected.

24 Likes

I vote for the Spinworthy x MK1 RBC.
For me it’s a game changer in metal responsive yoyos.

15 Likes