Best yoyos of 2021

Yoyorecreation TORU0.9

15 Likes

Personally would like to give a shoutout to @fatguysnacks247 and @hobbygod for absolutely killing it releasing their first yoyos this year. Hope to see you guys at the next Boutique Yoyo Collective table at Worlds :slight_smile:

On a side note, most definitely a biased plug, but I was super proud of how the ResTi-W came out. Anyone who remembers me knows my Dert obsession and it took a lot of design tweaking to bring the titanium body/tungsten ring ResTi-W to life. It was a nice progression from the mini Medallion who drew direct inspiration from the Eli Dert.

Here she is next to the Resto

22 Likes

Love the Bastet. I’ll have to check out the Deuce!

2 Likes

Tiramisu 2 all the way!

15 Likes

My favoritepickups this year
Speedy MAX, DA Capo, Civility (Purple Majesty!!!)

12 Likes

Wow!!! Thank you Patrick. A lovely surprise to see this really wasn’t expected to see my throw on the list !!!

2 Likes

For me it would have to be the Panorama or the Freehand one AL large bearing.

But objectively, mod44 is so cool, it can be a modern responsive, off-string, organic, competition style, etc all in one. Also the 3D printable rims just make it even better. Imagine if a big company released a yoyo like that and made the rims proprietary. The fact that anyone can make the yoyo their own is really cool. That has to be worth something.

6 Likes

Can’t believe there are still 33 of these in stock on the YYE site! What’s the deal?!?

5 Likes

Yeah that stock number hasn’t moved much since they dropped. May see a few of these in next years AMayzing Sale. As to why ?

1. Maybe the 30 players that like this type of YoYo already have one of the 30 Daytona SBs

2. Its an expensive YoYo thats hard to play, few hundred dollars for a sparker, isn’t that much of a cheap thrill.

3. Doesn’t fall in line with the current META specs for ultralight Modern Responsives

4. 0A is hard, and not many players understand the finesse required. Its difficult to DNA

@yyfben2.deactivated I really do like this yoyo and I want other players to know what its capable of. I would love to see some Play Clips from the YYF championship team. Play clips on TicToc or IG from @Gentry_Stein @Evan_Nagao Betty Gallegos, and a YouTube video from Lucas Decker or even a guest appearance on your Friday yoyo show with @YOHANS Skinning the Cat would help promote the Ti Confusion.

7 Likes

We make yoyos we want. I wanted this yoyo to exist. I love it. I’m stoked to own it. If there aren’t 30 more ppl I guess eventually stores won’t carry them and we will just make fewer… but I’m still going to keep making yoyos I want from time to time with zero guilt :sunglasses:. Im not into ultralight play. I want my yoyo to come back with a thud. I believe the confusion at $35 is probably one of the best value metal yoyos for someone not super skilled to learn the basics on. There isn’t much else in it’s category. The Ti is a bit lux and really only offers sparks more but yeah, if you are looking for the best yoyo to master basics or something pocketable I think it exists in a space no other yoyo does. It might not be a popular class but it’s definitely the best in it and it may be the only in it. :unicorn:

16 Likes

Well said, like I keep saying, I really like this one as well. I think you all did a great job on it, and I get it :wink: . Still would like to see the YYF team playing with it, a montage video like the old Basecamp Moonshine video, the TiFussion deserves it.

7 Likes

It didn’t get traction, we moved on. That video got 11k views, over 5 years. Today it would garner less than 1000 in the first 6 months. Times are different. I wish we could justify the time and resources

Previously… A yoyo like this I could rely on word of mouth to transmit.

We didn’t just drop this into the ether.

We put 100+ into peoples hands at launch and It didn’t garner a single review.

We ran an online contest to create a new trick named 'confusion, it received less than 10 entries.

Throughout our history we have CONSTANTLY made yoyos that eschewed the mainstream trends. We made organics when it wasn’t cool. Titanium when no-one else did, micro and undersized when everything else wanted to be a draupnier. Maybe this just isn’t different enough…

13 Likes

Yes, thanks Patrick for pointing this out. I’ve been following Manxyoyos on Instagram (probably an “because you follow…” suggested follow). Now I know what to keep an eye out for. Design and color are really nice.

3 Likes

FWIW, I’m a relative newb and was moreso when this came out. I’m pretty sure I’d never heard of the Confusion or GT let alone the Cold Fusion. I couldn’t pass up the two for one offer though and got them both (one for unresponsive and one for responsive). I like the way the Ti feels and loops so I kept that one as responsive. I think the 0A category is just not interesting to the same number of people that 1a or even 5a is. Like @Exmime said, it’s hard and those of us who are trying to learn a few different styles probably have to prioritize something and modern responsive ends up…not first.

Selling out is not the ideal situation for good releases. I think keeping the good stuff in print and available is preferable and if you can’t justify a second run of something, the ideal situation would be to sell 90% and for the remaining 10% to be in stock for a while.

5 Likes

I’m certainly ok with it still being available, I mean it’s hard to share something you are stoked with if it’s unavailable. I’m appreciative of YoYoExpert for supporting the drop and I know They have a bigger picture view than short run sellout too.

Evan image for hype :rofl:

18 Likes

Valhalla

18 Likes

Top 5 for me. Freehand AL, Gravity, Bape, Anithesis, Acadia :facepunch::slightly_smiling_face:

18 Likes

All the freehand love has me wondering if I should just…get a freehand.

5 Likes

I think I got all of these this year? Idk man, the last year or two are just a blur in my mind lol. When you’re working from home and barely leaving the house it all runs together. Anywho here’s my favorite recent acquisitions:

Back row: RCS Guitarist, Duncan Orbital GTX, @ThatFlippinGuy Saboteur
Front row: @hobbygod Assassin, GWAY Daredevil, @TSAF PWRhouse

Honestly I can’t think of any bad throws from this year, all the ones pictured above are 9 or 10 out of 10 for me but even the worst throws I got this year were at least 7s.

10 Likes

I’ve been very curious about the Guitarist as well…still wondering if that’s the next one I should get.

How do you like it? how does it compare to the Daredevil and Saboteur (which I both own)

3 Likes