Best Strings?

Agreed. If you operate on the assumption that you use one string every day and a half. That is a questionable assumption for many players. My limited experience has been that you really don’t need to change strings every single day. Maybe that’s a questionable assumption as well. Premium strings last longer. Twice as long? If so, then the math works out somewhat differently. Here’s the problem. I have read lots of threads where good players claim a need to change strings nearly constantly. I have tried to let that govern my own practice, but I honestly don’t see the need. I can leave strings on for a month (yep…a month) and there is only a slight difference between the way they play vs. the way new strings play. I’m sure that difference is significant to a world class player (which I am not) but just not to me. Now I know that we all strive to be world class players, so we tend to adhere to their practices, but there is a practical reality at work here. That reality translates to $$$. The same arguments are used in the guitar world. Some players change strings daily, but others, like Jakob Dylan, never change their strings. The analogy is not perfect, but I would contend that there are some really good players who would argue that changing strings every 30 minutes, might be overkill.

On the other hand, I could be wrong.

Incidentally, I dig those mad math skills.

And concerning the new YYSL stuff…I can’t wait!

I think I might try a pack of your strings but what is the difference between Ammo and type X? Also do you know anywhere that has bright red in stock?

Ammo is thicker and softer

If you do lots of layers in the gap or like regular thickness string go with Type X. Ammo is a thicker version of Type X with the tension tweaked to JD’s preference. It’s great for slack and due to its thickness it feels softer. (Oh, and it’s fun to be able to pull them out of the tube one at a time down to the last one by just grabbing a knot and holding the rest in with your thumb.)

Didn’t 100 packs used to come in larger tubes too? I think my friend used to have a 100 pack tubr

100’s are bundled with a laminated tag to identify the type. Like the tag shown in this travel bag. http://instagram.com/p/M_09c3G3Q-/

I’m glad this topic got brought up. A few years ago i bought a few hundred alchemy string and I’m finally starting to run out of them. I’ve used a number of different strings but nothing has been like alchemy strings (which i think may be 100% nylon but it does not feel like nylon kitty string). I love how slick they feel and how they last forever. Are there any strings out there like alchemy at all?

That may be where we get into variable milage. In the summer I can’t get any string to last more than 2-3 days. They are playable, but playability is noticeable degraded. I’d say best case I can regularly get premium strings to last about 2 times longer than kitty nylons.

When winter comes around I do treat myself to premium strings more frequently. I love toxic snakes. I bought 5 packs last time I found them in stock somewhere.

I find with my Kitty and Werrd strings that one lasts about half an hour with consistent play. Could they be used beyond that? Sure. They aren’t frayed, but they become less resistant to tension and have lost a lot of elasticity. I find slack routines to become a real chore after that.

By the way, does anyone know what string comes with the Gravitsky Protostar? That lasted at least 3 times longer than Kitty string and played and felt great. It couldn’t have been YYF string because I recognize the feel of that straight away (and toss them).

I’m glad this thread came up. I didn’t realize String Lab came in bulk. I might have a new string type next time I order strings.

Only sold on YYSL’s website. I bought a 100 pack of ammo myself a few weeks back.

$40 for Type X, $50 for Ammo, $55 for venom

Does anyone have the answer to my Gravitsky Protostar string question?

I’m almost positive it’s YYF string :stuck_out_tongue:

Well that would make sense, but It Is vastly different to any yyf string I’ve used. My Shutter came with some very horrible, fluffy string…

strings, we all think about strings…

I am a big fan of AMMO strings (read all yoyo String Lab strings,) I have some Type X that I have not used yet but will try out on one of the yoyo’s from my Mystery Pack I pick up today at post office.

I have many others packs of strings, I buy some with every order I make. love the things and some of the colors are just wonderful.

but AMMO and Kitty are my favorites.

ginny

matt is letting me try out all the strings ;D

1 Like

If you’re up for it, make your own! I started making strings pretty recently and I already favor them over anything else I’ve tried. Plus they’re cheaper than buying pre-made string.

Where the heck do you get the polyester from for it?

Any local sewing shop should have spools of polyester. Personally I 50/50 blend polyester with rayon for a type 8 string. Works great for me!

Sweet. By the way; I really dig the Werrd Hour too. So smooth, stable and easy to use. It is so close to being my favourite yoyo. Great choice!