Best performing monometal?

Well said (sleep time equate trick combo & width vrs dia)

2 Likes

Too many nuances, too many variables. If you kept he combo the same and changed yo-yos with the bearings all being the same (and even then some. Bearings perform better with a particular shape or performing yo-yo) you might be able to start to put down some actual data-

This thread is about the best performing monometal.

I forgot what I said yesterday however today I’m going with: G2 Banshee AL7

I’ve yet to lay hands on an SF. Maybe one day. [^_^]

1 Like

Well, I was casually asked for spin times and a description of my combo chain. I wasn’t asked to do a rigorous scientific analysis under highly controlled conditions using a wide sample base and a statistically vetted testing protocol. I think the best way to obtain results you approve of is to do the performance study yourself. Otherwise all you’re going to get are a few data points from which only very general impressions can be formed, along with lots of subjective, anecdotal assessments based on factors you can’t control.

4 Likes

I am still going with “massive rim weight”. Yeah, width is a factor, but rim weight is where all (sustained) spin comes from.

That’s why the real answer to this is none of the above: get a bimetal!

(Best closest thing to that in a monometal is a 7068 with lots of rim weight, since the walls can be thinnest elsewhere?)

2 Likes

If your trick repertoire contains a lot of grinds, you’d have to be careful to only get bimetals with inner cup rings, which might be somewhat limiting.

1 Like

I think it’s kinda funny that people say 7068 monometals can have almost as much spin time/stablilty as a bimetal. The thing is that bimetals can ALSO use 7068 aluminum in conjunction with stainless steel rims, extending the gap between monometals and bimetals quite a bit, imo. A good example of this would probably be the Hummingbird.

5 Likes

Yeah I was dealing with the (arbitrary) constraint of “must be monometal” per the topic title.

2 Likes

To be fair, you have said multiple times monometals can be just as good as bimetals thanks to 7075/68 aluminum

2 Likes

I think they can be, if you can deal with bulk on the rims. With Al, to add weight, you add bulk.

1 Like

In regards to this I just tried a Kenshin recently and it blew me away.

6 Likes

It’s expensive in comparison to 6061 or 7003 - might as well include titanium and magnesium.

2 Likes

My favourite aspect of a monometal against a bimetal is the ringing sound that monometals produce that is largely eliminated with the rings with a bimetal.
Though it’s hard to say no to a bimetal when it comes to stability and power and rim-weight!

3 Likes

I seriously dispute that 7068 Alu is anywhere near the price of magnesium or titanium.

1 Like

The masamaxx was a ton of fun, but terrifying at the same time :joy: the power is real! I attempted a speed combo on it once, it can move decently even with all that weight

2 Likes

Vibe comes with the turf - (for bi-metal)

1 Like

Funny that you bring up 7068 bimetals. This is actually a bit of a misconception that a 7068 bimetal would perform any better than a 7075 bimetal, same with titanium bimetals. The reason for this is while the metal may have a higher tensile strength and what not, it can only be machined so thin, about to the same thickness as you can with 7075. The reason a 7075 bimetal may perform better than a 6061 bi metal is the strength difference is high enough to over come the increase in density. The idea of bimetal yoyos is to make the body as light as possible, and to put as much weight on the rims as possible. Between 7068 and 7075 aluminum, the weight of the body won’t be any difference since the metal has to have a certain thickness, any thinner and it doesn’t matter how much stronger 7068 is than 7075, the metal will warp. So the way to increase the gap between mono metals and bimetals is to go the other direction, a metal that is lighter but as strong as regular aluminum. Anyway, to add to the question of best performing mono metal, my vote goes to the Werrd Irony JP 2013. That yoyo was absolutely insane, performs better than pretty much every bimetal I’ve tried aside from a few.

4 Likes

Here’s the actual values from someone who definitely makes yo-yos!

6 Likes

Jeez you know everything about the forums huh lol

5 Likes

@codinghorror IS the forum itself.

5 Likes

You probably would too if you can scroll down the whole mail day thread post by post like him :rofl:

2 Likes