Back to school blues

Whoa, what college?

nah I live in NC.

Haha, its in Stockton California.

University of the Pacific?

My old bro goes to rutgers university. Heā€™s going in to his second year.

School sucks because it is an institutionalized system to keep children from being innovative and thinking for themselves. It also setups the entry into ā€˜workhoodā€™ and making the consumption of goods of upmost importance.

If only we could live as nature intendedā€¦

I moved to a different city during the summer so that means Iā€™m starting at a new school. It sucks cause Iā€™ll be a sophomore at the highschool, but Iā€™ll feel like a freshman all over again. Gotta find new friends and find my way through the building. Just sucks!

But I really didnā€™t mind going to school at my old high school. I didnā€™t have anyone in my classes that annoyed me, much, so I never really dreaded going to classes. Waking up was a different story though. My teachers were all pretty awesome so my classes were awesome. My math teacher actually yoyoed! When I showed him my collection and some of the tricks at the end of the year he really enjoyed it. He had a really old Duncan Imperial from the 1950ā€™s, wish I had given him my classic, so I gave him some polyester string to replace his old and dirty cotton one.

Sorry for the super long reply

Itā€™s self-evident that we ARE living the way that nature intended. :wink: Something in our nature got us to where we are right now, typing away on a yoyo forum!

Teachers are taught to encourage, not stifle, creativity. The best teachers are the ones who assist students in making discoveries of their own. That doesnā€™t mean it always happens, and Iā€™m sure there are plenty of teachers still misguidedly using rote learning methods. But those are dwindling and dying.

The flipside of this is that there is a much higher expectation for students to engage in work. The work is usually more ā€œfunā€ with this style of teaching, but that doesnā€™t stop students from pouting and saying ā€œI donā€™t want to do this.ā€ Not every student fully understands the contract thatā€™s in place, no matter how many times it is explained to themā€¦ and if they donā€™t fulfil their side of the bargain, their learning AND their fun levels will both suffer.

3 Likes

So are you saying schooling keeps you from thinking critically? And essentially keeping you stupid? If you want to live as nature intended whatā€™s stopping you? And why not do it now? This would mean no modern electronics, no grocery store shopping, no cars, no first world goodies.

Nature is great but without a splash of the new you are missing out on the good things in life (imagine travel the way nature intended youā€™d likely not see much more then a 50 or 75 mile radius from the place you were born in your lifetime without modern stuff and thatā€™s just one example.). so yes I agree we should live as naturally as possible we shouldnā€™t do it at the expense of education and the freedom that comes with the modern technological advances.

Trilateral Commission - ā€œThe education system is a system of indoctrination of the young.ā€

ā€œEducation is what remains after you have forgotten everything you learned in school.ā€  - Albert Einstein

ā€œMore than 75 percent of students at two-year colleges and more than 50 percent of students at four-year colleges do not score at the proficient level of literacy.ā€

• AIR (American Institutes for Research)
    Another study found that 24% of 4 year college graduates in the US are illiterate.

ā€œNational Center of Education Statistics, which reveals that only 31 percent of college graduates can read a complex book and extrapolate from it.ā€

ā€œThere are over 42 million American adults, 20 percent of whom hold high school diplomas, who cannot read, as well as the 50 million who read at a fourth- or fifth-grade level. Nearly a third of the nationā€™s population is illiterate or barely literate. And their numbers are growing by an estimated 2 million a year. But even those who are supposedly literate retreat in huge numbers into this image-based existence. A third of high school graduates, along with 42 percent of college graduates, never read a book after they finish school. Eighty percent of the families in the United States last year did not buy a book.ā€ 
-Chris Hedges

ā€œWe believe that education is one of the principal causes of discontent of late years manifesting itself among the laboring classes.ā€  - Senate Committee Report on Education, 1888

ā€œConan Oā€™ Brien may be about to push the envelopeļ»æ on late night television.ā€

Einstein is from an era when rote learning was the norm. Itā€™s still around, but discounting all of the creative teachers with passionate students because you subscribe a dated ā€œdown with the institutionā€ point of view is unfortunate. There are great things happening in education, particularly outside of the United States. Moreover, Einstein is an anomaly. Itā€™s not like weā€™re all Einsteins waiting to bloom if not for the oppressive yoke of education. :wink: More likely, without our formal educations, we wouldnā€™t even know what an atom is.

Without education, I wouldnā€™t understand what the quote about the laboring classes actually refers to. :wink: Without education, most of you wouldnā€™t be here, with computers, writing reasonably coherent sentences, and exchanging information about a completely frivolous hobby like yoyoing.

Jut gonna say something about the whole ā€˜schoolā€™s unnaturalā€™ biz:
As humans, the dominant species, we naturally progress. Weā€™re smart and can think. So itā€™d be more unnatural to NOT train your offspring with the wisdom/knowledge weā€™ve obtained, than it would be to train and teach them.

And I dot know if you were joking or not. Butā€¦ Yeah, thatā€™s my useless $.02 (lolzeez)

1 Like

I was just providing proof to another post and nothing about education world wide, just the US, which ranked 17th worldwide in the last report I read, Canada was 10th.  I didnā€™t say anything about my personal opinion either, much less discount the 1 out of 100, or 1000 decent teachers, you projected all that into my post yourself.  Just because you say it is a dated point of view doesnā€™t make it any less factual.  Truth/facts are just that and they donā€™t change if we like them or dislike them, they are still the truth and factual.  ;)  Proof other than opinion is in the system and its results as posted.  Millions of high school and even college graduates are illiterate.  That is deplorable and a failure of our educational system imho.  Which is also closely related to income disparity.  The truth is unfortunate that millions who are high school and college graduates in the US are illiterate and as Hedges found, 50 million others are only at a 4th or 5th grade reading level.  If you wish to praise such ā€˜educationā€™ which produces those factual results thatā€™s fine, I donā€™t.

Einstein didnā€™t do well in school and flunked out of his entrance exams to college a few times until he studied more and passed.  Many have learned well more on their own than in school as he did.  That is why there are more billionaires that didnā€™t attend or finish college than have.

You seem to think that learning is only capable in an educational system which is actually rather naive.  Learning is learning and can be accomplished just fine outside of an educational system.  There are many self taught intelligent people.  You should learn from life more than anything else, not school.  Life should teach you from beginning to end, and that will far outweigh the lessons learned in a short & compromised educational system.  That system teaches you plenty of useless and stupid things like the rote memorization and input/output mentioned.  That is what Einstein was referring too imho and wasnā€™t wrong whether he was a rarity or not.

I guess you missed the whole point of the Senate Committee quote on laboring classes from 1888, which is that the system has been set up long ago to conform 1st and educate 2nd.  And worse, to educate in a way as not to question the system or its authority and your obedience to it as a ā€˜laborā€™ product, not an individual.

To any critical and free thinker it is quiet obvious the educational system itself is severely lacking and rotten with egotism and the things the ego spawns, like social class, popularity, current trends/fads/celebrity, tribalism/nationality etc. etc.  As Chomsky said, but we put up with it just to get through it.  Doesnā€™t mean we are unaware of the truth of it.

Not to mention all the false ideology and history they teach in school.  Again to conform your thinking, not to teach you to think for yourself and look for the truth of matters.  A good book on that, although 80% of families in the US donā€™t buy them, is, Lies My Teacher Told Me, by James Loewen

Of course George Carlin has a great riff on this topic too, but a bit too profanity laden for me to post a link here.  Just search youtube for ā€˜George Carlin educationā€™ and some will show up.  :slight_smile:

Or listen to Dr. Michio Kakuā€¦

Iā€™d go back to middle school. :confused:

Iā€™d go back to no school

1 Like

haha, lolzeez

Am I the only one who is actually seriously happy and relieved to be going back this semester?

. <

Nope! d(^_^o)

Iā€™m semi-happy because i havenā€™t seen my friends in a while but the future is whatā€™s doubting me. I donā€™t know what I am going to do with my future like what major to pursue and higher competition for colleges and scholarship due to lacking funds once I gradate. And Iā€™m only a sophomore! And that is why i have a yoyo with me 24/7, to chill and just relax for a bit before i do school stuff.