Atmos Projects presents: Butterball

I intentionally didn’t set an alarm. Can’t afford it even at such great deals. Hoping anything I wanted is gone so I don’t even have the temptation. Y’all go buy them all. Lol

5 Likes

Yeah, I guess that was me! I was sitting on go and already had my cart full at drop time :rofl:

3 Likes

Meet the Tide – our new flagship organic that embodies rhythm and flow.

Specs
Diameter 54.9mm
Width 47.6mm
Weight 64.5g
Material Titanium

The Noah was released in 2021 and has since represented the Atmos organic playfeel more than any of our other designs. It marked a departure from a form factor we used over the first two years of our existence (beginning with the Cloudberry), and it captured the light, relaxed, sense of play that characterized the taste of the time. The minimalist design, unapologetically round form factor, and weight distribution worked in concert to produce a floaty, zippy and bubbly design that eventually went on to become one of our best releases and a crowd favorite; it remains one of my personal favorites in our lineup.

The conversation surrounding a titanium reincarnation of the Noah naturally emerged multiple times since its launch, and it’s one of the few designs in our lineup that merits an aluminum-to-titanium translation. Titanium versions of aluminum models don’t always make sense; they’re not always a compelling concept, unless there’s something fundamentally interesting or creative you can do with the specifics of titanium as a material that justifies the translation. With the Noah, the notion was that it might be possible to add power and spin in a titanium version whilst entirely replicating and preserving the Noah’s lithe signature by creatively reapportioning mass – in other words, it could preserve everything the Noah is loved for, but turn out more capable, more full, without compromise.

Also, as a slight note – different metals have different “feels” – for this reason, we’ve never felt the appeal of stainless steel designs. They feel incredibly rigid, and we’ve never tried a stainless steel throw that didn’t feel awkwardly maximalist in its weight distribution – they’re often paper thin in some areas to compensate for density of the material. Titanium is tough and durable but retains a pliability that feels comfortable and less extreme – anything crafted from it feels like it’s made to last a lifetime, and yet safe from the exaggerated playfeel of steel throws. Titanium has a material profile that is dense and strong, which allows us to be incredibly intentional and precise with fine tuning weight distribution, but still natural feeling – and it served as a perfect canvas for an iteration of the Noah.

We machined a first Tide prototype in early 2022. The first prototype had a very similar weight distribution to that of the Noah, which featured zero bias towards the rims. The hubs were a clean, lipless cup with unbroken curvature. We sent one to Coleman, who had just joined Team Atmos at the time, for testing and feedback. His response resonated with what we were thinking, too – which was that it was too airy. Light and floaty is good, but there’s a threshold in distributing weight where it just gets too sparse, and it starts to feel anemic and weak. This often happens with “purer” organics, since the initial instinct is to be stingy with rim weight. Yet the solution to the issue was not just to pile on mass at the rim, which would have altered the profile of the playfeel, but to very gently overhaul the entire structure of the hub, and increase rim weight judiciously while maintaining a commensurate relation to its overall mass.

In simpler terms, in our second prototype, we enlarged the overall diameter by 0.6mm, while giving it 2.2g of muscle. Tiny numbers, but to great effect.

Coleman wrote in after receiving the second prototype, saying, “The new prototype is incredible. Much more substantial on the string but still zippy and fast. I really like how you’ve changed this one.” The second Tide prototype, which eventually was used as our production version, played with a nice presence and a fuller playfeel, while capturing the floaty, maneuverable signature of the Noah. It has a quicker rhythm in movement and is actually – surprisingly – less reluctant than the Noah.

We’ve paired the Tide with AL Flat Caps as the stock Side Effects of choice, which add a nice bit of centerweight to its overall frame. They also blend in with the hub; it looks nearly like a feature machined out of the titanium block.

For those that prefer Ultra Lights installed, we’ll have a couple of Tides with those installed available at drop.

Fullness seems to describe the Tide best – not just physically, in the way its bubbly, rounded minimalist form rests in your hand, but also dynamically – it moves a lot more confidently, paces well, and takes the stress of more strenuous tricks easily. It’s the most fully integrated organic design in our lineup.

With obvious reference to the Flood, the Tide represents power and energy in the Noah story, while preserving its capacity for flow.

We also couldn’t resist the hidden “ti” embedded in its name.

Yuji ft. Tide

Coleman’s Tide Test

The Tide is a ball of fun, and fully represents our philosophy towards organic designs.

//

The Tide comes equipped with premier kit in white Stratos Pads by Atmos, NSK DS Platinum bearings by Yoyorecreation, Side Effects by One Drop, and First Class XL String by Kitty.

Note – we hand-tune each Tide for smooth play before we send them out, but as it is with any Side Effects design, players should expect that, should faint vibe occur, some degree of tuning is part of the game.

21 Likes

The Tide looks so nice, those curves were made for Ti

3 Likes

Wow. The Tide looks amazing!

The Noah is one of my favorites (The Gravity is my all time favorite)
I got a thing for Titanium organic SE throws. This one checks all the boxes. :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:

Also, I always enjoy reading your design notes. Good stuff! :+1:

5 Likes

I love it so much

2 Likes

Finally got my November market Pomodoro in the other day. Great throw guys! It honestly plays almost exactly like I expected based on the descriptions you gave in the design journal for it. I’m definitely going to be paying attention to future releases!

4 Likes

Hey, everyone.

We’ll be releasing the first batch of Tides real soon.

Tides will be available in Raw only, but we’ll have AL Flat Cap and Ultra Light options, for a range of preferences.

Tides come equipped with NSK DS Bearings by Yoyorecreation, White Stratos Pads by Atmos Projects, and First Class XL by Kitty Strings.

Full details are fully laid out on our blog post, 025, here:

As always, reach out if we can be of any help, and we’ll take care of you.

Love,

Team Atmos

14 Likes

Hi, Rueben.

You have called these a pilot run release. Does that mean there is a production run to follow? If so, is there any change to the prod run?

2 Likes

Hey Josh! This is the production run :slight_smile: by pilot we just meant first release!

2 Likes

Is an anodized run in the works? Maybe a crack coated version?

1 Like

Unfortunately just Raws this time around - no other versions in the works at the moment!

2 Likes

@rnsy hey Reuben, what strings are those that come with the Pomodoro?

2 Likes

Hey Perry! Pomodoros come with Kitty Classic Fat strings :slight_smile:

1 Like

Our Archive Drops include rare models, retired colorways, prototypes, or pieces that never made it to a general release. They’re few and far between and are often the last of their type.

Amongst this haul includes Arias, Lunar Gravities, Cephas (in amazing half swaps combinations), Pomodoro Spoil Grades, Fruitloops, some prototypes, and a whole host of Berries, Pomelos, and Gojis in retired, crowd-favourite colorways – and they are live now. Here’s a tease:

Please note — not all colorways will be available in similar quantities; a fair number of Spoil Grades will be available at lower price points as well.

Archive pieces will come with Kitty First Class XL, and all other spare parts included with general releases. They may however come in different packaging from general releases.

More information at our IG, @atmos.projects.

Come through! As always, if you have any questions, please reach out to us via DM or in the comments, and we’ll take care of you.

11 Likes

Welcome to Team Atmos, Vladimir Glazkov.

Vladimir is a former Russian National Champion, and currently serves as a contributor to the Segment44 project. Vladimir began his journey in 2008 and is a veteran in both the local and global community. His play style embodies an infusion of technical difficulty with artistic flow and elegance, and his magnetic and creative approach to tricks, performances and video remain extremely influential to the scene, and a fixture in yo-yoing today.

Here’s Vladimir featuring our upcoming winter release — coming soon.

We’re incredibly excited to have him on board, and for the future!

11 Likes

We’re kicking off the year with the Polaris – a design that encapsulates fluid power.

SPECS
Diameter 54.9mm
Width 46.0mm
Weight 67.5g
Material Titanium

Atmos’ roots lie in organic design, but working on various performance-oriented, high function designs has been such a joy.

While this segment in the market has been saturated, particularly over the past couple of years, we’ve found gaps and niches that make the space a welcome challenger to tinker in. That’s been the raison d’etre of the Weatherman Line – a product line dedicated to experimentation and fresh expression in the high performance yoyo space.

The Weatherman Line currently comprises the Khuno, Ari, Aria, and other designs that are still in the works. The Aria evolved from the Ari, a titanium, Side-Effects and cap-enabled iteration of the Khuno. The Khuno was the first-ever bimetal in history to accept Side Effects, and the Ari remains one of our most beloved designs to date.

In the Aria we tunneled into a performance focus; we kept the general form factor, but removed the Side Effects components of design for players who treasured play and performance over customizability and modularity. What emerged was a performance-optimized, 57mm-diametqer beast. It had a big frame, and was technically heavier than average at 68g – but the Aria was one project where we learned an enormous amount about how to make powerful designs in the high 60+g range feel fluid and nimble, breaking conventions and expectations of how heavy yoyos generally feel sluggish and reluctant.

The Aria turned out feeling like a muscle car that hummed silently with torque – it had a low-center-of-gravity smoothness of movement, immense stability, and gave players superb control over pace, with the play experience never coming close to being overbearing, or bricky.

We’ve had questions regarding the width of our designs, and why they’re always as wide as they are. Our slimmest design clocks in at 45.6mm, but the rest mostly hang around the 48mm-range. In terms of ergonomics, we make sure they feel nice and full in the hand, though it can feel large for some. Our decisions about the width of our designs are intentional – they allow us the space to do creative things with weight distribution that produces a signature litheness with surprising power. The Aria is a specimen of that formula.

For our first release of the year, the Polaris is a fresh reimagination of the Aria concept that dials up performance, power and control, but packed into a smaller form factor. We were incredibly inspired by the Chopsticks Gorilla and Toru 0.99 by Yoyorecreation, as well as the Cetus by Turning Point, which we regard as industry-leading examples of designs that have compact frames, but are outsized in performance.

In conversations with Yuji, Coleman and Vladimir, we got excited to work on a model that embodied that fluidity and power, without a “min-max” approach to weight distribution, or bombastic physical frames.

Going small while increasing power requires some tinkering, as the two aims are not instinctively compatible. Generally, all things held constant, a larger diameter leads to more rotational power. Reducing overall size while stepping up power required a structural overhaul, as well as a shift towards a more extreme diameter-to-width ratio.

We scrapped the rim design in the Aria, and redesigned it to further optimize it for power. The Aria’s rim was a simple, even extrusion, whereas the Polaris sports an angled, dipped rim that packs a deceptive amount of mass. The Polaris also features a gradual domed hub – which, alongside the heftier rim design, provides a distribution of weight that perfectly balances power with fluidity.

On the surface of the Polaris, we kept the signature cuts and lines that call back to the Khuno, and have been present in the Weatherman Line. It’s extremely comfortable in hand, and it doesn’t feel like you have a traditionally performant model in hand. It’s elegant and minimalist, but extremely functional.

Playwise, it weaves in and out of technical mounts without sacrificing stability and power, and even improving upon the agility and maneuverability of the Aria. It’s just as stable, but has a degree of fluidity that its predecessor lacks.

Polaris is Latin for pole star, which is beautifully evocative of the celestial, and etymologically it also draws from polus, which translates to “end of an axis” – which is an interesting play on design terminology.

Polaris also pays homage to the Weatherman Line in that ari is embedded in its name.

The turn of the year represents many new things – including a refreshed direction in our product design philosophy.

The Polaris typifies that, and we’re incredibly excited to share that with you.

The Polaris is equipped with premier kit in Stratos Pads by Atmos, Type II Concave Bearings by Atmos, and First Class XL String by Kitty. We’re also excited to announce that Atmos pouches come included with every Polaris.

11 Likes

Hey, everyone.

We’ll be releasing the first batch of Polaris real soon.

The Polaris will be available in Raw only, and come equipped with Type II Concave Bearings by Atmos Projects, Black Stratos Pads by Atmos Projects, and First Class XL by Kitty Strings.

Full details are fully laid out on our blog post, 027, here:

As always, reach out if we can be of any help, and we’ll take care of you.

Love,

Team Atmos

10 Likes

Cant wait for the drop tonight! :fire:

2 Likes

Back to back Ti releases…. Me, love it…. Wife and wallet, not so much.

Polaris looks FASTastic!! I can’t wait.

Ps. Did anyone guess the name?

5 Likes