At what point should you get your first bimetal?

from what i’ve noticed, hitting hooks depends on string and yoyo shape, not necessarily anything else. if i’m wrong please correct me, i’d love to know

1 Like

I feel when you like the ascetic and trick capabilities

1 Like

In my experience it’s mostly technique. When you’re learning, strings and shape will have a lot to do with it for sure, which is probably why it was so easy on the Miracle. But once you’ve got it it’s about the same with anything. I can hook with about the same consistency on my Diorama as I can on the Durendal.

1 Like

Shape doesn’t matter really like slimlines will be harder bc the catch zone is smaller. It’s kinda just about the width of the catch zone.

I do think strings matter for hooks at first, like with a pure laceration hook. I hit 1.5 the first day I got whippy strings just bc they were easier to whip. Higher hooks and when you get better you learn to carry the slack and then the whippyness doesn’t matter as much bc the technique is different.

2 Likes

When you see a yoyo you think is cool and have the money for it.

12 Likes

At the point you want one, at that point you should get one.

6 Likes

Whenever.

2 Likes

I would say as soon as you feel like it and can afford one.

I don’t think it necessarily boils down to reaching a certain point on the trick ladder.

Because there are people that can do every trick on the trick ladder using a Monometal. And there’s certainly a few guys, that could do most tricks all the way to the top of the trick ladder with a well modified plastic yo-yo. And… There’s a few guys out there that could do a whole Lotta tricks with any decent yo-yo no matter what it’s made out of.

So, in my personal opinion, obviously, you don’t have to be a certain level of good to feel like you qualify for a bimetal.

And there are some buy metals nowadays that are actually more economical than some Monometal’s.

Bottom line… If you got the money… And you feel like, at least for the foreseeable future, you’re going to be throwing yo-yos… Then, that’s the point when you should get a bimetal. Period.

I’ve been throwing for a long time and I’m still not very good. But I have a few bi-metals, no doubt about that.

11 Likes

I think bimetals help you as a beginner as much as they help you as an advanced player.

Just get something you can beat up and cheap!

6 Likes

For my progression in yoyo I found that I needed something can handle learning tricks. It needed to be stable and spin a long time. Many of the bimetals I have are designed for flow and can’t handle learning new tricks as much as I expected. So far in my experience the Duncan bimetals seem to have the power and stability for learning tricks

I am kinda debating if it was necessary for all the money spent on mono metals right now. I recently tried the r2fg Halbert and it has the power and stability of $80 bimetals. And it only costs me around $20.

1 Like

the real answer is to get one when you want one or can afford one.

we cant really answer this question based on skill because if we tried to, most of us would still be maining $30 6061 monometals.

I’d rather get you buy something that gets you exciting about playing, so you would play as much as you can.

14 Likes

Damn now I want one!

What other throws do you have in your collection?

There are some pretty inexpensive bimetals now. So as soon as you can would be my answer to anyone that would ask that. If you know enough to ask about them then you probably can see the advantages. I think they are great for learning because longer spin equals longer time to play and practice.

6 Likes

While I do agree that the more skilled you’re getting the more you’ll feel the benefits I also kind of disagree with you on that that means they’re only for you once you start doing harder stuff.

My skillset isn’t anywhere near you, but I can do some basic zontals by now. And yes, I can use monometals for that.

But first learning the basics of these was a LOT easier on bimetals. They just seemed to have more stability and tilt resistance which is really nice when you’re still figiring out the basic movements and they aren’t muscle memory yet.

I’ve been playing for a little over two years now, I still remember starting out with monometals and getting my first Bimetal very well.

The Bimetal blew me away. Spin times were much longer, it got so much easier to practise tricks because after trying and missing the string I still had enough speed to try it again without binding and rethrowing.

The added stability (from what I was used to) meant that tilting happened much slower and I had more time to respond and correct, learning to figure out what I was doing wrong and learning better habits because of it in some cases instead of getting frustrated of not being able to make it do what I wanted.

So yes, and advanced player will be able to pull more benefits out of a Bimetal versus a mono.

But that doesn’t mean a basic player won’t have a lot of added advantage from it.

Look at it this way.

You have two cars,

A basic thing that’s normally mostly used to get groceries, and a lovely decked out rally ready car.

Both can ride the rally track.

A basic or beginning driver might not gain as much benefit from the rally car as an advanced and experienced race car driver would.

But that doesn’t mean it won’t help the novice to a large degree.

Let’s face it…most bimetals are just better at being comp/modern style yoyos. And as a novice you some times need all the help you can get.

That said…if you ARE a novice and you get that prized bimetal you’ve been eyeing for weeks now…

Maybe best play over carpet or grass. Otherwise you might have to pound back the rings on that nift bimetals once…or twice…or more (ask me how I know).

6 Likes

I started typing out my favorites, but the full list is easier:

At Design Lab

• Zero

Duncan

• Bumblebee (bimetal)
  • Butterfly
  • Glow Imperial
  • Haymaker (monometal)
  • HaymakerX
  • Hornet
  • Imperial
  • Jewel
  • Midnight Special
  • Professional

Few And Far Between

• Taijitu

Ilinx

• Melatonin

iYoyo

• Iceberg
  • Kickstart
  • Shooting Star
  • Spire

One Drop

• Aitch
  • Deep State
  • Diorama

Rain City Skills

• Ouroboros

Reticulated

• Death Adder

Throwback

• Civility

Shuriken

• Roppo

Smothers Brothers

• KODAK

Yomega

• Maverick
  • RBII

Yoyo Factory

• Miracle

YoyoFriends

• Paragraph
  • Vulture

Yoyorecreation

• 5ive
  • Futura
  • GOPA
  • PNIR
  • SYFO

Zero Gravity

• Durendal

Zipline

• Honey Badger 2023 (prototype)

There’s a few others I gave to my kid that he liked a lot (One Drop Reboot and Wizard) or I disliked a lot (YoyoFriends Koi).

2 Likes

That’s really saying something if you think your miracle is better than all of those.

My only concern is if I drop it.

2 Likes

I only ever play it over carpet or a thick rug. :joy:

Ooo may i ask what bi metals you have that are for flow?

Technically my first yoyo was a Duncan Butterfly XT, got it for 6.99 originally for gag party bag item to give away at a gathering, well it was never claimed so i opened it up and threw it and went “heh this was fun” so I ordered a Duncan FreehI then ordered the Duncan Cold Fusion GT, it was my third yoyo and my first Bi-Metal Yoyo. Honestly feel like I have spoiled myself when I played with it, dont think I will ever play with a plastic yoyo, idkk lol Honestly have fallen in love with yoyoing and I recently purchased the YoshikudaX, really enjoying that one right now a LOT

2 Likes

Get a bimetal right away , it will make it easier to learn tricks and I think will help most people stick with the hobby.

4 Likes