At what point should you get your first bimetal?

Just a question I had while walking across campus today, I got my first bimetal when i was considerably less skilled, probably around boing e boing and basic eli hop range and barely one slack trick, and i guess that since it was a pretty good deal it doesn’t matter. Anyways, I wanna know y’all’s thoughts on this, what do y’all think?

6 Likes

I got my first one, the Miracle, this year, probably two months after my return to yoyoing. My kids first “real” yoyo was the Hummingbird. Before that he’d only been throwing for maybe a month with a Duncan Reflex and a Yomega Glide.

3 Likes

Very nice choices :hugs:

2 Likes

Well, I think the word “should” is sort of problematic. I say just get one when you want one.

20 Likes

getting a miracle as your first bimetal is an insane jump, all power to you

2 Likes

yeah good point, i think i meant at what point your player skill gets to the level where you’d get the most benefit from the bimetal, a new player probably isn’t going to understand the differences too much ya know

I can go back and look but I think I got my GTX and Legato 2 maybe 2-3 months into yo-yoing again. And it wasn’t because I thought I was “good enough” or knew enough to get one, I wanted one to help me learn and progress. Knowing they were prone to having better spin time and stability, I figured it would make learning tricks a heck of a lot easier (it has).

3 Likes

Whenever you get one is really up to you. However, it’s not gonna make a whole lot of difference until you start doing much more advanced tricks with stress on the Yoyo and stability matters.

2 Likes

In general, a bi-metal has more spin time and better stability. These are two qualities that I would argue make learning unresponsive 1A yoyoing easier and less frustrating. I’m a big fan of taking away as many obstacles to learning as possible so that a person doesn’t get so discouraged that they quit before things get fun. So I would say that as soon as a new player has decided to get into unresponsive 1A play, there’s no reason not to get a bi-metal if they can afford a decent one.

14 Likes

My first bimetal was an edge, and I got that two years into yo-yoing after already perfecting tricks like spirit bomb in black hops.

4 Likes

Honestly I’m of the opinion let’s not make people think they need an expensive yoyo to do cool stuff. Buy any yoyo you like and think looks nice when you like at a price you can afford in your own budget. If that’s plastic fluvia or first base then those are the perfect yoyo. If that’s 200 dollar yoyo that’s cool too.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend a bimetal to someone as their first unresponsive Yoyo bc they won’t know how to bind yet and might not like playing unresponsive. I think whenever someone wants to get one, after they feel comfortable binding and know they like playing Yoyo enough to warrant the higher price tag.

5 Likes

The dad in me also feels like being a parent to everyone else in the world and wants to advise them not to spend bi-metal money until they know they intend to “stick with it”, but then I remember that I’m not everyone’s parent, or even their wise old uncle, and, assuming we are talking about adults here, I would simply advise them to get a bi-metal when they feel ready for one, whatever that means to them.

Giving advice to kids is different because they can’t be counted on to make responsible financial decisions on their own. But that’s the job of their parents, not me.

5 Likes

Based on this post I would say you’re already a little bi-curious. Go ahead and get one. What’s stopping you?

5 Likes

Hahaha yeah, I love that yoyo. I got Miri’s variant because she impresses the hell outta me, oh and because it looks best. :grin:

Shocker, but I disagree with a few folks’ not recommending a bi-metal as their first unresponsive. I think bi-metal makes learning way, way easier than most monometals. As an example my kid was having a rough time doing tricks with his Glide. When he got the Hummingbird it was like he was a different person. He was landing tricks with ease, the same tricks he had a terribly hard time with the same day.

Hell, it was like that when I got the Miracle. First throw on it I landed things I had only ever done when I was a kid, and even then only once or twice. Again, I love that yoyo.

3 Likes

I got my first bi-metal (outlier 3) 1 month after throwing.

3 Likes

There’s no noticeable difference when you play some basic and simple tricks.
When you started learning some combo tricks with playing with some speed, you will started to aware the difference of monometal and bimetal.
The bimetal will be more stable and holding the axles easier, even you made some accidental tiltation while the speedy play. And of course, you can aware the benefit of long spinning time of bimetal when you started playing some long combo tricks.

3 Likes

How does the miracle play?

1 Like

Just… omfg. When I got it my kid came over to watch me put on the string and start throwing. Literally the first thing I said was, “Oh my f’ing gawd,” and he just nods and goes, “Oh my gawd is right, daaaaaaang!”

I put up a review in the yoyoexpert store, but to summarize it plays like it already knows what you’re going to do and then does it all for you. Like when I was learning the hook, for example. I was struggling on the Durendal or the SYFO, I can’t remember. I grab the Miracle and nail it first try. No joke.

It’s super smooth, plays fast and light, is extremely stable, has a beautiful finish, and spins for days. It has exactly zero flaws. If you could only ever buy one yoyo, the Miracle would be my recommendation.

4 Likes

Skill-wise? Probably around the time you begin to consider learning intermediate-level stuff. Arguably at that level, the benefits of bimetals start to become more apparent than like… if you’re learning stuff like Yuuki Slack or Wasabi triangle you’re not gonna feel the benefits.

Even entry-level zontals/zoning like Banana Turnover and the body rotation stuff like 1A Arm Wraps, TMNT Cafe, etc. are the same way. A good monometal can adequately boost you through all of these.

When you get to learning things like zontal 8’s, zontal whips, full-fledged arm combos, and tech at and above the level of string switch, you feel the benefits more.

Want wise/Realistically? Literally whenever man. Who cares about benefits if you’re having fun doing tricks. If it looks cool just cop, you’ll either have a yoyo you like or have a yoyo you like AND get to push its potential. It literally doesn’t matter.

7 Likes