Astrojax discussion

All things astrojax. We don’t really have an active forum for orbiting so I thought I would make one here. If you play let us know. If you are thinking about orbiting hopefully this thread can help you. Show your collection, share history, mods, maintenance, or share tricks.

4 Likes

CLYW’s Anthony Rojas is really good at using these, I know he did some astrojax-style double-dice 5a tricks a long long time ago. Can’t seem to find any footage.

Also we haven’t seen @CizreK in a bit but I know he used to do astrojax on instagram:

9 Likes

i still have an old set of these from when they first hit the shelves in toys r us years ago… what counts as a trick with them always seemed kinda nebulous and vague to me… i definitely preferred yoyos. introducing astro to freehand play was pretty genius. Doc Pop is the man.

3 Likes

@fradiger great video

1 Like

Not me in the video.

4 Likes

Post more pics for collectors to use to identify old stock. Thanks guys!

Found my set, chuckled at the name vmax cuz its also the name of a big data storage array in my industry…

4 Likes

I just placed an order for some.

Wonder why ive never seen anyone using these as counterweights…

They’re typically a little heavier than most yoyo counterweights, last I checked.
Some of the soft ones have internal, removable weights, though, I bet you could replace them with slightly lighter weights

1 Like

Here’s a clip of the creator of astrojax Larry Shaw dressed up giving a demonstration and a small stand.

1 Like

What i find interesting about Astrojax is the whole legality side around it.

Laurence/Larry Shaw invented Astrojax then sourced them through a larger corporation in the 90s, what we all remember. That corporation stopped paying him royalties a long time ago without any word of this. He took them to court once he found out, won in the USA courts, but something to do with the really grey area Swiss legal system allows the company to still produce/market/trademark “Astrojax” even though he won the court cases…

This is Laruence’s company he started a couple years ago.

This is the original company he partnered with who is still profiting off Astrojax even though he won the court case.

1 Like

he said its the future of the yoyo? 5a astro maybe but i mean, the yoyo part isn’t going anywhere, lol.

I was wondering why there was two sites. Interesting

1 Like

Yes, they’re the ones who he took to court.

The latest ones that are hand knit are made by the original creator of astrojax.

I found the thread on reddit that I read a while back so I don’t spread rumors.

https://www.reddit.com/r/toys/comments/kdv5gn/remember_astrojax_were_back/

3 Likes

I’m so lost.

Laurence the creator of Astrojax made astrojax.com which he started in 2018 after winning his court case.

Active people, the swiss company you’re referring to, the ones he took to court = usastrojax.com which is the brand we all know from childhood, still selling astrojax even after being taken to court.

3 Likes

I use the plastic ones as counterweights all the time, It’s easy to just pull the string through and start orbiting.

I would be more interested in pushing them and playing them but as you also said the tricks are vague. It’s also hard to film anything with them unless you film top down which isn’t always convenient. Plus a yoyo fits in my pocket easier.

I have a couple pairs of the newer crochet ones and they’re very well made and play like a dream! I usually only take them to festivals and to work otherwise they kind of gather dust.

1 Like

Without Honor, you are Nothing…

Active people entered in to a Business agreement with Larry Shaw. An Honest, well intended Business agreement allowing both the Product Inventor and the Seller to make some money.
Years go by and no problems.

Then, somebody at Active People has a bright idea. Maybe Astrojaxs isn’t bringing in enough profit ‘on number of sales’, so we can increase our Profit per unit by simply disregarding our ‘Business Agreement’ with Larry. We will just keep the Royalties and he can go suck eggs. What can he do from across the Pond? Nothing.

Larry goes through the legal process and wins. Uh…… the Swiss stick together like Cheese, so his win gains Nothing and these Honor free Punks are still selling his invention and could care less.

They got a lot of Class…… unfortunately, it’s all ‘Low’.

They should be embarrassed for pulling a fast one on Larry. But then again, the kind of people that pull stunts like that, don’t get embarrassed.

Trading your Honor for Peanuts?

Active People…. Bad Look……

2 Likes

I don’t orbit much but i tried, and my friend / teamate @DedHed got me back into them 2 years ago… Mike also makes some awesome videos.

Edit… for some reason the link doesn’t work, but if you click on it a second time (“watch it on YouTube” the link works)

2 Likes