Anyone listen to hardcore, pop-punk?

Japanese finest (imo)…

Back in my human form after the sickness finally I can write here again and listen to a bit more aggressive more without die inside even more lol

Great you sent over Caust I was years without listening them, I never heard of Dawn Treader, such an amazing band to be honest, literally first time I hear about them, I am looking for more info I just liked everything you posted about them, looking at work you wrote I think I have to sadly download from youtube to have them in my music reader, such a powerful style! Where are they from? As always you nail it with vocals, remind me a bit the Saetia’s singer when they have this sort of “high pitch” scream.

Broooo I can’t believe you posted nervous light of sunday ahahahaha literally they was on a drawer in my memory from how long I did not listen to them, I was obsessed with them in my 20s ahahah never thought to see them posted as I did not even remember myself about them, great throw back memory and indeed amazing band!

As you wrote couple of post ago, it’s hard to remember about everything and everyone and mostly if you listen a lot of new band, the only shame in this is that you forgot about some amazing bands until you rediscover them again and is basically like you discover them for the first time again, it’s a nice feeling but in it’s own way sad, I think it’s still related to the time that pass and how things change.

My recommendation for today is one of the most famous bands in the genre Suis La lune, I cannot have a thread like this and do not see any of their pieces here, one of my biggest inspirations during the years, is one of those bands where I have literally everything vinyls, cds, shirts, I am quite sure I have everything they have released, Henning (singer guitarist) in my opinion is such a genius, great guitar riff, tasteful use of the pedals and great voice!

And also their side band which does a short of shoegaze, Sore Eyelids:

1 Like

Down By Law 1991

2 Likes

Really enjoyed them, did not knew this band, reminded me of the Italians “Eversor” (or viceversa actually lol), great music!

1 Like

Dave Smalley, the singer is the same singer from Dag Nasty which I posted here 3 weeks or so ago…

Hey @Albertino,

nice to hear/read you are doing better :+1:t5:

Yeah, Suis la Lune needs to be on any list concerning Screamo. I also put them on a lot of Screamo/Hardcore/Punk sampler I made for myself in the past. I‘m not into all of their discography but the songs I like really clicked with me.

Dawn Treader sure is amazing. I‘m really glad that with them I could show something new to you. When I discovered them there wasn’t a single day without listening everything I had found from them for weeks. It’s funny though that on their Bandcamp site they stated that they aren’t a Screamo band. After listening to them extensively and also after listening to Screamo for about 12 years or so this statement feels like Nofx‘ Fat Mike would say they aren’t a Punk band or if Metallica were to say they don’t play Metal. But from now on I won’t call them Screamo but just ‚An awesome band‘ :upside_down_face:

And also yeah, Nervous Light of Sunday is where it’s at. They are so outstanding to me. When I first heard one of their songs I was totally dumbfounded and didn’t know what’s going on. I was just smiling and headbanging and listened to their discography over and over again. Till this day they are in my frequent rotation. It’s also pretty interesting how they developed their style. They started out pretty playful and diverse but gradually became more and more raw and bitter. Today it‘s just balls to wall slap in your face kick in the guts Hardcore…and I love it.

Concerning the style of Screamo voices you like I also have to say that I prefer that style in Screamo. For me that’s pretty much what makes it Scream-o besides the more chaotic and diverse song structures. With this vocal style I can feel the desperation and raw emotions the singers are conveying. It feels so very authentic and most of the time even unplanned. It feels more like sharing an intense moment with the band then listening to an act. Not that I want to deminish the passion and authenticity of other bands/genres/vocal styles but with this style something special comes through for me.

Todays band are also in that wheel house when it comes to that typical Screamo voice. In this one the screams are particularly high pitched and almost hysterical. I like it very much. The name of the band is ‚Love like…Electrocution‘. They are from Adelaide, Australia. I guess you know them already but I also think they deserve a spot under our topic at hand…

2 Likes

Today I also want to share a Hungarian super group. Those guys played in various Hungary based bands. They are very creative, skillful, passionate and varied in their styles of playing Hardcore music.

The genres they covered are…

Chaotic Hardcore (Dawncore)

Melodic Hardcore (Newborn)

and Metalcore (Bridge to Solace)

I cherish everything they put out without exception.

wow, i like it buddy:)

1 Like

@ozzey49
Nice :+1:t5: Very happy to hear that.

1 Like

Great post and great band I did knew them and good shout I have the cd bought in a random distro during a show in my city ages ago without even knew them by the time, I just did like the name and bought it and it was a great discover!
This have to become and encyclopaedia of screamo with the difference that is in a yoyo forum ahahah

Agree with what you said about the voice, I like it more when it is not “studied” also I am not a big fun of growl as a style, the high pitch one cut the instrumental a lot and stand out and I agree that show some bit more “raw emotions” plus it keep the chaos going on, also I have been infected a lot by Saetia in my listening as it is one of the band I approached in the genre so they influenced me a lot!

Today 2 screamo bands and one doom metal (which is one of my favourite bands ever)

For the italian one I want to share “One dying wish” quite a recent band, always great guitar riff, in Italy we do not have a lot but I can say that I can recognise when a screamo band comes from Italy, we have quite a way and a style to write guitar, I think we all get quite influenced by La Quite and Raein.

The other ones which probably you know are Beau Navire a “super band” if we want to call it like that with members of quite famous band in the genre, this album is soooo good so I post all of it!

And this is the doom metal band, they are from Italy and are called “Novembre” probably one of my favourite bands of all time, every album they did is a masterpiece, great atmosphere and sound and great lyrics, I think now I am around 15 years listening to them and never get tired.
I post here my favourite track “Geppetto” but the whole album “Materia” is absolutely stunning.

@Albertino

Yeah, totally :grin: To me it seems very fitting though…the two things I‘m most passionate about are at the same place.

I can totally relate to the aspect of one’s preferences being influenced by the first bands one came across in a particular genre. I started out with Hot Cross with their album ‚A New Set of Lungs‘…

…so I‘ve taken a liking to fast, frantic, Punk induced Screamo.

One Dying Wish is an absolute blast, man. Awesome recommendation. I like it very much.
Beau Navire is so so good. I prefer Loma Prieta a bit more to be honest but I do have all of Beau Navire‘s work on vinyl and listened to it up and down. Their album ‚Lumens‘ is my favorite.

Novembre is quit nice. Not my particular style of music but nice to listen to for a change. The title ‚Gepetto‘ seems very fitting for that track. I‘m sure if I would understand the lyrics I would have a different approach to this band since I believe with that style of music the lyrics add a lot to the overall tone and feeling.

With my todays recommendation we‘ll get into the depths of sheer raw epicness. The band is from Spain and has the German name ‚Drei Affen‘. It‘s a mixture of Neo-Crust and Screamo/Emo-Violence quite like Battle of Wolf 359. A little bit more melodic though. Her screams are gut-wrenching and the overall skill of this band is highly sophisticated. They do have a split with Coma Regalia which already is pretty epic but their latest EP ‚Seguimos Ciegxs’ is pure insanity…

Maaan Hot cross such a great band, I have in vinyl Cryonics and Risk revival but never get the chance to find the other ones.

Oh my god I am listening the full album from Drei Affen, amazing! Llama viva just killed me while I am at work, those guitars maaaaaaaaaan! Pieces like that make me want to have a band again, immediately saving those for download later, will listen the full album while writing but omg, this is such my type of band.
The tempo in 3/4 and the chromatic scales in power chords they do are insane such a classic in the genre, I am seriously loving this band amazing recommendation, they blowing me away lmao
Love their titles, I have to read the lyrics, totally emo violence from the sound, also man I did not seen Battle of wolf nominated from at least 10 years lmao much respect for you!

Spanish band are always quite amazing quality, thinking also at Viva Belgrado.

Coma regalia is another great band, I love the split with Kaoru Nagisa and love the album The mirror.

After this band you recommended today I do not really know how to match this quality lmao

I will go today with a band that you know for sure but needs to be in this topic, Indian summer, another band I grew up with and helped to shape my taste.
Angry son is the first one I listened from them and help me to appreciate a more “dilated” time in a song with a crescendo that slowly goes until explode, it helped and thought me also how to love post rock, the whole album Science is a classic.

Bonus italian band as always :joy:

2 Likes

@Albertino
I‘m really happy to hear you are enjoying Drei Affen that much. I know the feeling discovering a band where everything just feels right and surprising at the same time. Glad I could share that with you.
Yeah, Battle of Wolf 359 seems pretty much underrated or people just seem to have forgotten about them. Maybe because their Black Metal influence isn‘t everyone’s cup of tea, I don’t know. I find the mixture of Screamo and blackened Crust very fitting and appealing though. And obviously I‘m not the only one :wink:

As always the Italian recommendation meets my taste pretty well. They reminded me of a bit rougher Adorno.
Indian Summer is such a classic in the genre. With them I pretty much made the same experience as you learning to appreciate a longer stretched out build up. I haven’t been listening to them for a while now. Maybe I take this opportunity to go through their discography again.

Since you liked Drei Affen so much I‘d like to introduce to you (in case you don’t know them already) a band from Klagenfurt, Austria called ‚Unable to Fully Embrace this Happiness‘, which by the way is the greatest name for a band in this genre I’ve ever heard. They are playing a style in the vein of Drei Affen combined with Tristan Tzara but a bit more lo-fi with some more Punk influences. I hope you enjoy this one too…

Happy that you like the italian recommendation, also my friend you are such a memories enhancer ahahah even Adorno is a name that I do not hear from ages, I have the split with Syn Error!

I didn’t knew this band you recommended today, very much more unpolished compared Drei Affen which I found to have an order in their chaos (I listened them soooo much in those days), while the band you post today seems much more raw and untechnical which I really appreciated tbh I am looking for a bandcamp in a moment so I can download very good advice!

Today band for me is the very underrated Kias Fansuri from Malaysia, I had this album gifted to me from a friend that had a distro and used to deal only with skramz and emo, he was in contact with this band just to speak about music and similar and at some point he send them some italian screamo album and they also sent him their ones.

We listened this album together and we said “damn”, this is such a tight and good album, sound veeery classic in influences but has a very good sound and all the pieces sounds great, all the tracks are good to be honest, I do not know much about the scene over there but if all the bands are like this one than it’s a great scene.
Also the album was done in such a nice way I mean about the packaging itself, I can see that they took care of it, I do not know why this is a band I always take close to my heart.

2 Likes

Good day Sir @Albertino

I have to go work now. Todays recommendation will follow later this day :wink:

2 Likes

Washington, DC.1986

4 Likes

So nice to hear all this old school stuff here to see where all the other stuff originated from.

2 Likes

Kias Fansuri is such a great band. I found out about them through the Connections Part 2 Six-Way Split with Suis la Lune, The Saddest Landscape, Captain Your Ship Is Sinking, Isaiah and Adorno and after that I intensely listend to their album you‘ve posted. Very nice melodies. Unfortunately I never got to own a physical copy and after hearing it‘s also put together so nicely I envy you a bit to be frank. The way you came to listening to their music is the perfect way in my opinion. Being able to connect personal experiences and good memories with their music is such a wholesome thing.

Since you said you like Drei Affen so much I also did listen to them again and over and over again :upside_down_face: Nice that you also liked ‚Unable to Fully Embrace this Happiness‘. I really like their rawness (I in general do like raw and lo-fi stuff pretty much). My favorite tracks are ‚I‘m ashamed that I wrote so cheesy teenage lyrics‘ and the untitled one. Especially the untitled one because it‘s like if ‚Me and Goliath‘ and ‚Danse Macabre‘ would have shared one short song for a compilation album or something. And those screams and squeals in the beginning always get me, man.

For today I’ve chosen ‚Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep‘. A political Post-Punk-ish Screamo/Emo-Violence Band from Belgium. A friend of mine promoted and organized a show for them in Munich and I was immediately hooked. Nice Melodie’s, nice screams, pretty varied and quite powerful at times with a nice Punk Diy attitude.

The first four tracks are my favorites from this band.
Unfortunately I wasn’t able to find them on Bandcamp though :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Washington, DC. 1984

2 Likes

Nice :+1:t5: Thanks for sharing. I feel bands like these (I in particular liked Identity) with the sound they created are the giants on which shoulders more modern bands like this are standing on…