Anyone else's collection far "outskill" them?

Hey, we should be trick buddies! I’m just starting to work on Kwijibo and I still do McBride Rollercoaster every day to make sure I don’t forget how to do one of my favorite tricks.

2 Likes

But don’t you ever feel like the OP? Like someone saying “I know how to play three notes on guitar, but just bought a $3000 gibson?” Or buying your 16 year old a Ferarri for their first car. It’s not (depending on your view of capitalism) “wrong” per se, but, at least to me, it feels a little indulgent.

2 Likes

The many different types, shapes and sizes of throws I have, every throw I have, will be able to do more tricks than I can, in more capable hands. So I try to alleviate this by learning new tricks as often as possible ( not often enough ). Also learning and relearning old ticks I have passed over
( boingy boing… now I can not stop )

For me in the beginning. I have been told… if you keep signature throws out on a shelf, not in a case. If you arrange signature yo-yos in a specific order a mystic force will emanate from the throws bestowing all the combined skills of the signature players each throw represents into who ever stands in front of the emanating force.
I have not found out the correct combination of signature throws to creat the force yet. Anyone have a clue on the combination?

Have a great weekend boingy boing

4 Likes

I have an $1800 Strat…

It’s like my parents Cadillac.

4 Likes

But buying a beginner a decent yoyo for $20-$40 is better than going to Dollar Tree…

3 Likes

Of course. If you want to do/learn anything you need to get at least passable tools. I’m just agreeing with the OP about that feeling some of us have about our yoyo collections (“we’re not worthy”). It’s not like hang your head in shame kind of thing. Just a little reflecting on how silly it can feel sometimes.

3 Likes

Sure, but it’s a toy. At it’s base point you’re indulging yourself by spending time developing a skill that isn’t really transferable outside of playtime. Can you really look at a toy from a purely utilitarian point of view?

No one needs more than 200hp and two seats and a wheel for commuting, or maybe a diesel with a bed for hauling and work – you can argue the mid-life crisis people looking to buy a Porsche are indulging themselves, and sure it might be a waste if they aren’t racecar drivers looking to hone their skills. However, if the cost-benefit of the object and their perceived enjoyment works for them then how can an outsider say otherwise? For all we know them letting the idea of having a Porsche living in their head rent free for years is more detrimental and the purchase could very well be worth it to them.

If you consider it from a minimalist/utilitarian POV, then its dumb, but thats being too reductionist for the beauty of throwing and the minutia between different throws, shapes, finishes, features. Passion is inherently going to be excess, and an ideal where you can say passion is unnecessary is not for me.

Then again, that’s just me :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh, I’m right there with you. Yoyos are my indulgence in excessive consumerism aka collecting aka hoarding. But knowing and accepting it doesn’t stop the feeling “these are too good for me.”

2 Likes

For me it drives the need to get better and feel worthy. They rekindle my passion sometimes and get me throwing more than I would otherwise.

2 Likes

I have about 20 yoyos at the moment. I’d say about 5 of them really belong in a pro’s competing hands rather than mine. I’m just a laid back casual thrower that’ll learn a new trick once in a blue moon. But man, do I love collecting them. I have a habit of buying multiples General Yo throws because of their limited releases and I think theyre some of the best, for me.

same!

Without US yoyos can not do a darned thing. Yoyos are utterly helpless without us and can do nothing on their own. Yoyos should be thankful and humbled every time a human uses one whether it’s to walk the dog or some really advanced trick.

5 Likes

Don’t drink tea… don’t drink coffee…don’t drink alcohol… don’t smoke cigarettes… don’t vape… don’t smoke weed… no drugs… no nothing.

If…. You ever see a guy that looks like me but he looks ‘nervous’, it isn’t Me…

4 Likes

Haha I came here to post a similar opinion!

I outskill every yoyo I own. Because not one of them even knows how to bind, walk the dog or skin the gerbil without me helping it.

I, on the other hand, can walk a dog, skin a gerbil and, especially after hogging an entire order of cheese fries, bind rather well without the assistance of any of my yoyos.

Ivan

9 Likes

Anyone else’s collection far “outskill” them?

Ehhh, Nope, not here… :nauseated_face:

5 Likes

My throws sent me a thank you card last Christmas for smashing them into the front door.

It’s called respect.

2 Likes

LOL! Totally! I got really excited when I got into it just this past year. I totally geeked out and love the beauty of the yo-yo’s as well, so I kind of went nuts. I have some really nice ones (including some titanium) even though my skill is just at the starter level. I’m practicing to improve though and hope to do my collection some justice! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The logical argument here seems to be that a certain yo-yo (subjective…) should be representative of a certain player’s skill-level (also subjective…). By this logic; all Ferrari’s should be owned by professional race-drivers. They are, however, mostly owned by old men that rarely drive them.

A basketball does not magically fly through a hoop; an (American) football does not spontaneously fly into the hands of a receiver with two seconds left. Clearly the user of the object causes that.

I buy yo-yo’s to feel how a particular shape, or combination of materials plays or “feels” vs. others. My relatively low skill level attests to the fact that the yo-yo imparts absolutely no skill at all.

6 Likes

Right. But…I do believe a particular yoyo can make a person (me) come off as more skilled than with another yoyo. Like, a person with wider V shape yoyo could awe a crowd but if someone handed the person their Duncan Imperial it may not end so well unless they are just as good with both shapes and can do tricks best suited for each yoyo. I forget what this Topic is supposed to be about…but it’s fun to read.

1 Like

If you are using your yoyos you are indeed doing them justice.

5 Likes