Anyone else's collection far "outskill" them?

I’m probably nearing 200 yoyos at this point, but I still suck big time and I can’t do any trick after McBride Roller Coaster in the Advanced section here.

So yeah, my collection far out-skills me.

6 Likes

I wish somebody called me a genius every day.

I consider myself to be smarter than the average bear not by much but by a little bit. I’ve certainly been around the block a couple of times and with age sometimes as in my case comes wisdom. Now before you misinterpret that, wisdom regardless of what the definition in Webster’s dictionary says wisdom does not necessarily mean a high intelligent quotient. Wisdom means that you are wise to certain things about certain things of certain things as opposed to be an ignorant of said things you start off ignorant and overtime if you pay attention you get wise. Sorry about the run-on sentence I’m doing talk to text right now. Now if you make it to my age 71 and you’ve been paying attention you’re definitely not as ignorant as you were when you were let’s say 17.
So at least my theory is if I can think of something that I’m going to say and I draw the conclusion of the wording I’m using to specifically state and mean what I’m going to say with the words I’m using to say it and I type out the words. I know what I thought, I know what I said, I know what I meant. If you think that you are a better judge of what I meant by what I said then you have to be a genius. I don’t know you well enough to not like you. That’s an old saying I don’t know you well enough to not like you, give it time. It’s easy for us to all come on this board on this forum at this meeting place and try to pit our brains against each other try to share information with each other try to outsmart each other in the meantime not one of us learning a trick while we’re on the board fiddling around trying to play one upsmanship.

Just a bunch of friendly clowns leaning out their kitchen window taking shots at each other.

I enjoy all the input on this board mostly. I enjoyed the diversity of ideas facts theories hypotheticals everybody has a different angle. Variety definitely is a spice of life no man is a mountain and we all learn from each other. Very few exceptions to that and I’ve been around this forum for many many years since there was a forum the yo-yo yo-yo nation yoyoing.com all the forms go way back. One exception where I draw the line is when people tell me their interpretation of what I said which wasn’t what I meant. Obviously I don’t go for that, never have never will. Having a difference of opinion fine. Saying I’m wrong fine. Having your own diametrically opposite opinion to mine fine. But picking out something I said and telling me what I meant……… not fine.

Then again, that’s just my opinion.

The tree in my backyard told me to say that. :scream_cat:

3 Likes

Exactly lol, I was just trying to start a conversation ;~;

1 Like

Interesting concept, I get the thinking of a $300 titanium throw deserves to be owned by a serious thrower who can do it justice whereby a $20 mono should be happy being thrown by begginers despite the fact that both are likely capable of performing any trick regardless.

How does this translate to a collection though? Like if you have a case with 6 throws and two are titanium, does having two Duncan Imperials in there even out the collections “Skill” rating so to speak? Or is this metric mainly based on cost ?

More importantly… my collection has made me better

10 Likes

I totally understand the idea behind like ‘my skills don’t justify my spending in this hobby’ I think there is a concern on that on lots of hobbies (magic the gathering decks not often played, twisty puzzles not solved often, etc) that mean to answer the question ‘if you don’t do X with them why have them?’

I have had this thought before actually and normally I try to learn at least 1-3 tricks when I get a new yoyo if I can (even on the new yoyo if possible)

I certainly throw typically 3-6 of the collection on a low day just when I get up and breaks from work but some days are ‘throw the case’ days for sure just comparing them all over and trying the new tricks learned on them to practice. So from a time spent aspect I am at least throwing still versus the possibility of it becoming just a collection hobby.

I think also learning tech elements (and creating 2 tricks of my own) helped me not have this feeling. Also just an objective looking at where my level is at. I am no pro by any means but I am not simply at a ‘starting out’ stage after making a couple tricks and after landing some harder to land tricks such as

• beefhooks on a slimline (#diorama boiii) fairly consistently
  • a trapeze horizontally+bind
  • fingerspin+tornado bind

I heard someone say to learn tricks when the tricks you’re doing feel stale and that has more or less been a fair cadence towards when I feel the need to learn more tricks or another style (like actually doing 5a may)

Though I would also say my collection is soon completed as well so I am sure for myself at least that plays a part towards just doing more tricks with what I have as there are only a couple more throws I’d like to try that aren’t new/restocking to my knowledge in the foreseeable future (ti-vayder prime example) so if its ‘done’ and I still like it time in it will eventually branch to new styles I imagine and lots of 1a/5a since my throws already have that theme.

Fun question!

3 Likes

I am completely not ‘getting’ the idea of having to ‘deserve’ acquiring a $300 Titanium yo-yo?

And…. Why do you need ‘skills’ to justify spending in this hobby?

(Richard) Just because a yo-yo may cost $300, you have to justify deserve it, lol.

Yo-yos and other skill toy purchases do not require certain skill levels. This is how the drill works: You like yo-yos…You like the idea of having a Titanium yo-yo… You have the money… you have the urge…. You buy the yo-yo.

And, just to point out a crazy misconception. A $300 Titanium yo-yo isn’t $300 because it has Magical potential. The primary reason it costs $300 is because it is more expensive to produce/are usually made in smaller batches and factor in the loss from the yo-yo halves that don’t pass Quality control. Obviously the price is premium, but the Awesomeness of the yo-yo is not necessarily cost based. I have dozens of Titanium yo-yos, from $200 something up to about $700 that don’t play any better than yo-yos costing $100.

I do understand if your mindset is budget based. Your wallet may be a bit on the ‘thin side’ and if you are considering buying a $300 yo-yo, you may convince yourself that you deserve to allow yourself to splash that much greenery on 1 Ti yoyo(I get that).
….But your skill level should have no bearing on ‘deserving an expensive throw’.
If… deserving a yo-yo was directly connected a skill level, I would have only one yoyo, haha.

(Nick) I was never aware that a person needs a certain skillset to justify spending money in ‘this hobby’. As long as you are taking care of your personal and financial responsibilities, you don’t have to justify spending money on yo-yos or anything.

Deserving and justifying have nothing to do with skill toy purchases.

If everybody thought that way, Worldwide yo-yo sales would be hurtin for certain.

….

5 Likes

I own two looping yoyos, so definitively yes.

5 Likes

I fully understand your situation. I know that you and Frank continue to make Great yo-yos, but you always end up selling them all simply because you know you don’t deserve to keep them.

Must be tough when you only know about 350 tricks. But I get it.

Admitting owning the 2 looping yo-yos must be the Saddest day of your life.

I would sent you 2 some cool deli sandwiches, but the bread would prolly be stale by the time they got to Germany.

Thanks for sharing, homie…

1 Like

I was hinting at not knowing how to loop.

Have a cup of tea for your nerves, Doc. It’s almost weekend.

4 Likes

I agree

2 Likes

“Though I love collecting them, which I guess is a hobby on it’s own”

The amount of satisfaction with each purchase may be less satisfying based on the law of diminishing marginal utility.

The law of diminishing marginal utility states that “the amount of satisfaction provided by the consumption of every additional unit of good decreases as we increase that good’s consumption”.

An example is you enjoy your first Ferrari more than the second, and the second more than the third, etc.

1 Like

There is nothing that I’m saying that ties the requirement of skill to money spent.

I related to that notion or thought process train of “well maybe I should know more tricks for how much I have spent”

I agree if you like the yo-yo and have the funds and you want to buy it then nothing prevents you from doing that

1 Like

the bulk of this conversation is just some petty nonsense.

4 Likes

If you have a lot of yoyos but feel you don’t have a lot of skills, that’s okay! It’s nice to have a variety of yoyos of different shapes / specs because some yoyos are better than others at learning some tricks. Plus, even though you may love certain yoyos it’s likely you will get bored with them at times so it’s nice to have others to use which will keep you enthusiastic about throwing. Enjoy what you have whether it’s 1,000 or 5 or 1.

5 Likes

I’m not exactly sure how it got here, I thought my question was pretty light hearted lol

3 Likes

Theres only a handful of people on this board who could honestly answer that no!

Most times I pick up a bimetal i feel like I’m taking drivers ed in a Ferrari. And even many mono metals.

4 Likes

Absolutely! I have been in manufacturing for many years. Even though my yoyo skill is hardly anything, I find the way many are machined and the differences in anodizing make them a sort of work of art. In my spare time I try and learn a new trick but for me the beauty of a lot of them is what I like and why I collect them.

1 Like

Considering you only need a plastic to win worlds, everyone is outshined by their collection. But you have a car, are you a driver only if you use it at full throttle all the time?

The saying “I paid for the whole speedometer so imma use the whole speedometer” is just as ridiculous in the context of throws.

5 Likes

I’m thinking I’m too skilled for my collection. Any yoyo I play with, even my “best” ones, tend to go off plane or snag when I push them as hard as I can. This must mean my yoyos are not capable of keeping up with my skills. Makers, please raise your yoyo design game!

4 Likes