Anyone else's collection far "outskill" them?

I feel as if my collection of throws far outweighs the amount of skill I have. I have over a dozen bimetals, and 20+ monometals, but I know I’m no where near the skill level required to truly push them to their limits.

Though I love collecting them, which I guess is a hobby on it’s own haha.

18 Likes

I would guess that it is rare for most active players to grow their skills faster than their collection…

13 Likes

Yes. In my opinion my collection far outweighs my skill tenfold I believe, but then again I am usually doubtful of my ability to yoyo well lol.

5 Likes

every collection of every yoyoer outskills them.

14 Likes

I already Won this Contest.

Possessing a Tablespoon of playing skill out of a Gallon of potential.

With over 1500 yo-yos and the ability to write every trick I know on the back of my thumb…

Suspense over…… but let’s find out who wants to wrestle for 2nd?

I’d explain more but I gotta go.

I’m expecting mail today and tomorrow and Saturday…

19 Likes

Oh 110 percent. I do not have the skills to push my Ari to its limits. But dang I still love it.

4 Likes

Yes. :pleading_face: (Sadly looks at my Duncan Imperial)

4 Likes

+1 here. Was true the day I got my first yoyo and is true now that yoyo collecting has become my main hobby (followed by reading this forum and actually yoyoing).

3 Likes

i could still be throwing around my magicyoyo hertz that i got when i first got back into modern yoyoing and it would STILL be more than enough yoyo for my skills. that being said, it’s nice to have options and explore other kinds (and more expensive) yoyos because they all offer different experiences

5 Likes

I will challenge you to this title. I think I last learned something new in 2006… intense job, kids, life… stalls out the skills, but the collection still grows. The good news is that sales of older pieces fund the new acquisitions. Self-sustaining!

5 Likes

Not Evan Nagao

Only Jesus throws better combos……:innocent:

2 Likes

I didn’t say that. I said exactly what I said and meant exactly what that specific wording indicated.

Nothing more.

3 Likes

If you enjoy your collection, no skill is needed!

That’s just what I tell myself to sleep easier with the money I’ve spent.

4 Likes

Once you factor in all the prize money and endorsement deal income, collecting really makes sense. There is a category at worlds for collecting, right?

1 Like

I feel that way about my bimetals. They can spin much longer than any several tricks I know. But they are great when you need all the sleep time you can get to learn more complicated tricks.

3 Likes

Even my Duncan Butterfly from the 80s outskills me lol

3 Likes

Before @jhb8426 spidey senses get triggered, please notice that the term “outskill” is in quotes in the subject. This is a fun thought in a forum about a toy, no need for “pedantics” (or made up words for that matter). :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I have been “collecting” for decades. Whenever I saw a new or different yoyo in my travels, it was a goto purchase. Then I found YoyoExpert and Yoyo Tricks. Always amazed at the skill level of players. All way above my paygrade. Alas, a Ti throw is also above my paygrade. :wink:

1 Like

You are barking up the wrong tree, genius.

“Not Evan Nagao”……… yup, that’s what I said no doubt.

Now, you decide to put that in your ‘Semantics machine’ and tell me what I meant when I said it.

You are suggesting that even though I said what I said, ‘you’ are the true scholar that can interpret the actual meaning of that statement.

What I said was an opinion. It wasn’t fodder to dissect and redirect with some personal spin on it.

It wasn’t to generate an argument.

Working within the realm of reality and sheer logic none of us are at a level of yo-yo skills or equipment expertise to arbitrarily draw the conclusion that a person is out skilled by his equipment when we don’t know the ultimate potential of either. So how can one be bold enough to make a statement that Evan is out skilled by his collection when you don’t know the performance limitations and or potential of the equipment and you don’t know the actual performance level potential of Evan Nagao.

I decline good sir, to pursue this at a level of argument for arguments sake simply because there is no argument that could be justified in this particular instance. I suggest that this is more of your misinterpretation of what I said and getting me to defend what I said which is kind of ridiculous when you consider the fact that I know what I said and you don’t. You’re only trying to put your own twist on it which is perfectly fine but I suggest you just go out in the backyard and argue with a tree. You would certainly make more headway than getting in an argument with me.

6 Likes

I started with good intentions.

Goal: Learn tricks then buy more throws, but that didn’t work too well. The good news is I have pretty much gotten over the guilt.

6 Likes