Are you more of a yoyo collector or a player?

I wanted to ask the community:
Would you consider yourself more of a yoyo collector or more of a player?

For me a collector is someone who … well they collect yoyos. Cares about their collection, is proud of the many different throws they have and they enjoy casual throwing but they’re not putting their focus on developing their skill.

And a player would be someone who doesn’t care much about the yoyos they’re throwing. It’s all about the skill they are learning and not about the yoyo they are learning them on.

So where do you see yourself? Maybe you’re something in-between? Maybe both? I’m curious to hear where you see yourself :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

If you have more than 5 yoyos, you’re a collector. If you throw a yoyo semi often, you’re a player. I highly doubt anyone is one or the other.

Can you imagine someone with a huge shelf of rare or hard to get pretty yoyos and they don’t throw or haven’t thrown ever lol

I consider myself a yoyo hobbyist. It isn’t my job but I do it for fun, which includes both.

9 Likes

Curious…. Why ‘5’ yo-yos= a collector?

And what is ‘semi often’? <if you throw semi often, you’re a player?

I toss yo-yos around all the time, yet, I am not really a Player(in my opinion).

And I have over 1500 yo-yos, yet, I certainly don’t consider myself a ‘collector’.

I don’t have a log inventory of everything I have. I don’t record the specs of everything I have. I don’t memorize the history of all my yo-yos. Like first gen Peak or 2nd run Peak or limited edition model, etc.

And… I don’t display my herd of yo-yos. I don’t have to have one of everything. Or hell bent on scoring certain color ways no matter what. Or keeping up on sell values of this or that. And when I just randomly pick something out of the crowd to throw, I have zero concern about possibly smacking it and lowering its value.

So I don’t consider myself a player or a collector. I’m just an old guy that has a lot of yo-yos and throws them around for fun…

22 Likes

I see you as a fanatic
But…

4 Likes

I don’t see much of a reason for anybody to label themselves as either of these things unless they fall onto an extreme end of the spectrum. People only concerned with how a yoyo plays and not it’s value will still frequently amass a large “collection” of stuff just because they all play differently.

Alternatively there’s plenty of people like me who don’t have any interest in collecting, but they like having certain colorways or releases just because it’s more fun to throw something you think actually looks cool. I couldn’t care less about the value or rarity of what I have, and it’s all being purchased to get played with, but maybe others would consider it “collecting” to seek out things for aesthetics rather than performance.

8 Likes

I’m a player (throws for at least 3-4 hrs per day) that loves collecting :blush:

15 Likes

I’m trying to be a player more than a collector. It’s hard to resist staring at the screen and wanting every yoyo in the world, but it’s harder to work on getting new tricks down and get better at older ones.

8 Likes

i try to learn atleast 1 new trick a week minimum. The more the better though. Just depends on how hard the trick you’re learning is

8 Likes

I am a small collector who plays with his entire collection;)

12 Likes

I would label myself as a player. But you would label me as a collector.
Im not actively trying to get better. I learn an occasional trick if I like how it looks. I throw everyday coz its fun but its not aimed towards progress. I do like getting new yoyos, trying them out. I like having a collection of yoyos that all fulfill their own unique spot. But I dont feel like a collector. My “collection” has no purpose. Its not all yoyofactory yoyos from 2009. I feel like collectors often have goals for their collections. I dont.

11 Likes

I got into this with the intention of learning a new skill and subsequently ended up with a dozen yo-yos because I wanted to experience how each one feels. It seems like you have to go down the collecting rabbit hole to some degree to figure out what your preferences are.

I guess you could call me a player with collective tendencies.

9 Likes

@Chaman @Upmanyu @Shapapy Agreed and well said all of you. @Theycallmecotton I wish! Been working on cleaning up Rewind for over a month and barely started zipper.

8 Likes

I think about and value PLAYING far more than I do collecting, but I don’t really worry about which boxes I fit into. :slight_smile:

18 Likes

I collect yo-yos so that I can play with them :wink:

12 Likes

A little of both. I’ve really enjoyed collecting nothing but green throws these last few years :green_heart:. I don’t have a huge budget for my hobbies, but I’ve done pretty dang well and am pretty proud of my collection of 60’ish.

But I throw as well. I don’t own anything so rare that I feel like I can’t use it.

I’ve taken a huge step back from the hobby…but I still try to put in 15 minutes a day. It’s not enough to really advance much skill wise, but it’s enough to retain a bit of muscle memory I hope. I’d like to jump back in more heavily eventually.

7 Likes

…yeah. Me either.
:wink: :upside_down_face: :joy: :green_heart:

2 Likes

I’d say that I’m both. I will rarely buy a yoyo just to put it on display and never play with it so that it’s always in pristine condition. I do have a couple that are like that, but in those cases, I still play with them every once in a while to get more enjoyment out of them. I’ll also buy a second one in the same or different colorway to use daily so that I don’t care if it gets beaten up. But whenever I buy a yoyo, it’s 100% because I plan on playing with it.

4 Likes

I’ll say I’m both. I’m actively trying to better my yoyo skills while collecting new throws that interest me, look nice or are rare. I think most people will be like me because it’s unlikely that anyone is going to be a pure collector or a pure player yeah.

8 Likes

I am definitely more of a player. I collect yoyos with the sole purpose of playing with them. I do have a fair collection, but everyone one of those throws has been my edc at some point.

9 Likes

Let’s just say I’m much better at collecting than I am at playing. But like most folks here, I do both.

12 Likes