Anybody else been laid off due to the COViD

And yet, you give credence to their stories on hording. Did you really need 33 lbs of ground beef?

8 Likes

I eat 2 lbs of ground beef a day. So yes, I do.

1 Like

That’s bad for your heart. I am not judging you, but don’t put yourself in a situation where you will regret it later.

3 Likes

In his defense your post intensely suggested a conspiracy.

What did you mean by this comment then?

Sorry dude, but you taking the moral high ground on this sounds pretty disingenuous to me, this part in particular:

JustJ is just trying to be informative, and invoking conspiracy paranoia is counterproductive to the obvious current state of panic.

3 Likes

Wasn’t laid off, but my company laid off a bunch of folks a month ago for unrelated reasons, and since a lot of our clients are closed (theme parks, cruise lines) we’re all on 80% hours/salary for the foreseeable future, and remote work only if possible.

5 Likes

Never tried to put a youtube vid in before so here goes.
1976 advert - uncanny

4 Likes

I did not say nor imply you said that, it’s hyperbole. As far as debate goes, debating this is akin to debating things like the earth is flat, the sun revolves around the earth, there is no such thing as global warming… We know the earth is not flat, we know the earth revolves around the sun… I see no point in furthering this conversation as it’s like trying to convince or educate an anti-vaxxer on how vaccinating works and why vaccinating is important. As eternalmetal stated, I am trying to be informative, and he is absolutely correct, invoking conspiracy paranoia is counterproductive to the obvious current state of panic. So with this, I bid you adieu. Good day, sir. I said GOOD DAY! :mask:

1 Like

Our entire holding company shut down all their stores nation wide and also filed for bankruptcy this month. https://www.craftworksrestaurants.com/brands

People who tested positive in some states have had to have the police stationed outside their homes since they refuse to self isolate. This is the mentality of some.

Gates did a TED talk on it too in 2015. Sorry if that’s repeating the link. The Pandemic response team and lab in the US that was fired by Trump and Bolton in 2018 had the same conclusions. The team was not happy as they had forecast a very deadly pandemic by 2021 iirc.

Many scientist have been on the ‘wake up people’ bandwagon for years and said it was only when, not if, same as the antibiotic race. The way I remember it reading was it’s like a treadmill always running, these virus’s and bacteria are always evolving. If we stop progressing we fall behind, if we don’t keep up with the current pace, we fall behind. They have been sounding the alarm because we fell behind years ago.

The latest Imperial college report is what finally got the US to act. It isn’t pretty. Dr’s and nurses across the country are already out of protective gear. Some have set up sewing centers in hospitals to make mask and gowns out of OR materials. There are no where near the critical care beds or respiratory equipment to handle what’s coming. It isn’t alarmist, it’s a fact. The math doesn’t lie.

2 Likes

I wasn’t implying that you were, but there is undeniable panic among the general public. What I am seeing lately is people afraid of touching door handles, people washing their hands excessively in bathrooms (at work in the medical facility I am employed at I have observed this several times while using the restrooms), and an almost toxic aversion to someone coughing. And those are only some things. My point was that people are already scared, and your post suggesting a hidden agenda behind the pandemic is dangerous speculation that will only spur the uninformed to jump to conclusions.

I will let the mods do their work on this one. Imo leniency should be granted on this issue since it is very real and current; people are all experiencing the fallout, and censoring opinions on such a serious current issue (even on a “family friendly” forum), could proliferate the spread of misinformation. But again, ill let the mods decide what is and isn’t acceptable here and continue to post my opinions.

4 Likes

I just want to say this is a genuinely interesting topic and I want to hear from those who have actually been laid off (and maybe a little context), like the title suggests. So, thanks to @jsn for starting it.

However, I’m seeing a lot of individuals mistaking anecdotes for data and logical fallacies as legitimate arguments. So, for those who enjoy admonishing and scolding others in public, that is better suited to private messages.

There are plenty of authoritative places to get info on our current situation – a yoyo forum should not be one of them.

4 Likes

It was unwise for me to offer that speculation. I know good and well that I hold a minority stance on many things in this community, not the least of which is worldview.

It is important to me that people are safe, sober-minded, and have emotional and psychological support as the next few weeks unfold.

4 Likes

I hesitate to recommend this to … anyone … really… but if you truly feel in your heart of hearts that this is all made up BS or some kind of “conspiracy” by “the man”…

Go watch the 2011 movie Contagion. Seriously.

The emergence of the virus in a wet market in Asia is exactly, exactly what happened with COVID-19. The primary difference between the movie and real life is the 25-30% mortality rate, everything else in that movie is based on the science of how virus transmission occurs between humans in a modern, mobile, interconnected, jet-setting world.

Note that if you ARE serious about Covid I would STRONGLY recommend you DO NOT watch this movie. It’s… terrifying. I mean it scared the heck out of me back in 2013 or whenever when I watched it. I can’t imagine watching it now, it would melt my whole brain into a gooey puddle.

This is not a drill, people. This is as real as real gets. And in many ways, to be honest with you, we got lucky. :point_up:

13 Likes

Sorry couldn’t resist

2 Likes

I’ll probably be getting laid off this week :upside_down_face: my bosses warned me about it on Friday. I work(ed) in the commercial flooring industry. Construction has definitely been affected by this pandemic. Lots of delays/postponed dates and such, so we can’t really make any money.

3 Likes

This is no help whatsoever. But hang in there, it will get better.
Are you in raised flooring ? or a bit of both ? Don’t forget domestic, people always want carpet / vinyl / laminate.

1 Like

This was the senior technical advisor for that movie.

This is surely not a drill and many have said we owe China a ‘thank you’ for locking down 50+ million people because it gave the rest of the world time to prepare, which we didn’t.

3 Likes

I don’t think I doubted the reality of the virus, I was just saying to be wary of the government using this extremely serious reality to accomplish things that would benefit them and hurt us in the coming months. I also had a few beverages last night and started getting tin foil hatty, I apologize if anything I said came off in any way off putting.

The virus is clearly a reality and to not be taken lightly in any fashion. I am sending love to all members in heavily impacted regions and embracing the yo while being isolated is very comforting.

5 Likes

Yup! Me too. The business I work for supplies all the meat for Disney and Disney Cruise lines.

Like Senators getting a briefing weeks ago about how bad the virus was really going to be and selling off millions in stocks to make $. Already happened. Disaster Capitalism is very real. If you want to read, ‘Shock Doctrine’ by the below author is from 2007 and very informative.

4 Likes

That article is amazing. It might be the single best thing I have read on COVID. Everyone should read it. Linking it again:

Read it please :point_up::point_up_2::point_up::point_up_2::point_up::point_up_2::point_up::point_up_2: … and it does end on a hopeful, even inspiring note. I was kinda moved to tears to be quite honest with you :sob:

8 Likes