Anybody else been laid off due to the COViD

I live in a town where majority of the folks work in factories. The factories and non essential retailers are laying off like crazy. I work for a small loan company so I am speaking to a fair number of the community being affected. Please see below for information that is helpful for anyone experiencing this.

The government has fast tracked the unemployment process and for them to apply for it online asap. In conjunction with the unemployment, it is highly likely the govt will be issuing checks to families as well as early as April. It is possible they will do this more than once. Many electric companies are allowing the electric to keep flowing even if the bill is not paid, reach out to your local electric companies to see if this applies in your area.

Not to play into conspiracies, but thousands of people die every year from the flu. Never in our history have we as a society shut down the economy to stop the spread of the flu. While I understand this virus is supposedly exponentially worse, you have to wonder if there are not things going on behind the scenes and this pandemic is being used as a cover to what is actually happening. I hope that that conjecture is completely wrong and what you are seeing in the media is to be taken at face value, but I care for this community and feel it necessary that you all error on the side of caution just in case.

4 Likes

I wonder if folks would be as surprised had they known the corona virus disease is caused by a SARS virus, specifically SARS-CoV-2. I think WHO screwed up on this one, not using SARS for fear of panic. People need to understand why itā€™s so important to stay home, avoid interaction, etc., and avoiding using the term SARS for fear of panic only helped to serve people not understanding the risks involved. Pisses me off. Theyā€™re anticipating this homebound period could last anywhere from 1-3 months IF people abide by it. If not, it will continue indefinitely. It only lasts on surfaces for 1-3 days, depending on what it is; it needs a host. Incubation can be up to 14 days. Hence the everybody go home and stay home so it wonā€™t continue to be transmitted so it can end. Sorry you lost your job. Theyā€™re planning on sending out checks, $1,000-$2000 is what I read because they are anticipating unemployment from this.

2 Likes

The death toll from SARs was 774. Long term, you canā€™t just shut down everything until a disease dies out, but precautions should be taken. I think that (at least in the US), the constant virus hype by the press has lead to unnecessary panic. What else would lead to people hoarding massive toilet paper supplies? I will do what the authorities tell me to but Iā€™m sick of hearing about corona 24/7. Wash your hands, be cautious, but donā€™t panic is my motto for now.

4 Likes

Agree that folks need to be following all protocol to prevent the spread and keep themselves and their family safe. They should not live in fear, but they should also question if what is happening is not a ruse by the most powerful to make drastic changes to our society for their benefit at the cost of our freedoms. The virus is clearly real and I am not saying otherwise, but the actions being put in place just leave me questioning.

4 Likes

You mean the ā€œemergency powersā€ certain governers are giving themselves to suspend certain constitutional rights if they see fit?

2 Likes

Yes, itā€™s just wild. What is worse, putting the economy at a stand still and creating a depression that would make the Great Depression look like an afterthought in hopes that it saves a few thousand lives or letting the economy continue to thrive, take the necessary sanitary protocols, and letting it run itā€™s course like we have done with all other contagious flus?

I donā€™t know the answer but itā€™s two sides of the coin and the media is acting like their is only one side.

2 Likes

I think of my grandparents however, Iā€™d hate to see them succumb to this stuff. While of course I think the media is way too into this for me to trust them, I also think that if it isnā€™t treated seriously(which it is), we could have a much worse problem on our hands.

2 Likes

Agreed, I donā€™t want anyone to lose their lives from this because it isnā€™t being taken seriously enough. My wife has a very weak immune system so I am being extremely careful at work so as to not bring anything home. I just hope that their isnā€™t a hidden agenda to all of this.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what are your educational backgrounds? Epidemiology? Medicine? Armchair epidemiologist or doctor?

2 Likes

I canā€™t speak for him, but I think itā€™s fair to say that none of the three of us are qualified to give medical advice, but we are qualified to speak freely though without having to try to shut down conversation channels between us because we may or may not agree with what is being said.

Everyone should be taking this seriously and washing their hands, following social distancing protocol and doing our best to lift each other up in these trying times.

4 Likes

I am just a normal observer. I am just saying that I donā€™t like how the media covers the corona virus with little or no criticism leveled at the Chinese government and while I appreciate most measures that are being taken, people are behaving in ways that are entirely illogical. Even my own mother, whom is extremely intelligent, was worried that the Illinois quarantine would make it hard to go out for groceries. I told her that essential trips and stores would still be possible under the guidlines issued by the governor.

I donā€™t want a pandemic any more then the next guy. If anyone here has a background that lets them speak more authoritatively in this subject, I would appreciate them. This is straying a bit too close to politics for this forum and I guess itā€™s kinda my fault.

1 Like

Agreed, which is why I did not say all I would have preferred to have said. While not a medical doctor, I was a scientist in a previous life (former occupation), and know many doctors in my personal life, as well as my wifeā€™s personal and professional life. I think Iā€™ll leave this alone and bow out now, as it is definitely heading into political territory, and unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) thatā€™s a no no on here. Google Spanish Flu 1918 to get an idea of what theyā€™re trying to avoid by having us avoid contact with one another. Take care. :mask:

4 Likes

Fortunately not, since my job is to do medical testing, but our volume has decreased substantially and I am worried that my hours might be cut.

Epidemiology is math and statistics. Math does not have a hidden agenda:

If that does not convince you, read up on the 1918 influenza epidemic.

Bill Gates said in 2015 the only thing he was afraid of was a flu epidemic. The below article is literally from 2015:

This is very serious stuff indeed.

12 Likes

Itā€™s not at all coincidental. Theyā€™ve been expecting this to happen for quite some time, which is why they were rather panicky and reactive in recent years whenever a bug hit. Remember when H1N1 appeared in 2009/2010 and the media was fearmongering? Thatā€™s because they have been expecting a pandemic to hit because they appear to be cyclical in nature and we have been due for another. Science, information, knowledge, history, this is how they predicted a pandemic, itā€™s not some some crazy conspiracy to plot against the humans in the 99% or something crazy like that. Itā€™s amazing the conclusion folks jump to without ever having educating themselves on a subject.

5 Likes

I think itā€™s important to disconnect from the news sometimes.

Social distance, wash hands, and do your best to stay healthy (which is good anyway)

Stress lowers the immune system too, and it makes me nervous and feel powerless to continuously watch the news.

Take extra precautions, but enjoy life.

7 Likes

I hear ya. I watched a lot of local news and the Big 3 cable news channels over the last 5 days but itā€™s just the same 5 minutes of information over and over. We canā€™t all just sit at home in a panic. Iā€™ll be out of work for at least 5 weeks and want to have something to show for that timeā€¦like finishing a few books and mastering PLASTIC WHIP. I wish everyone the best!

7 Likes

This is not the flu, this is not a drill. Just because the symptoms of the flu and COVID-19 are similar does not mean itā€™s the same thing.

COVID-19 is twice as infectious as the flu, longer incubation time of up to 14 days, order of magnitude higher hospitalization rate, order of magnitude higher fatality rate. Source: CDC, WHO, NCBI

If you live in a rural area, you may never see it. Hopefully it is that way for my parents, for example. If you live in a city, the potential for catastrophe is extra high in densely populated places. Some of my friends in cities are living under lockdown right now.

It is dangerous to not take this seriously. It is also important to keep in mind that the cases being reported now could have come from exposures up to 14 days prior.

7 Likes

You do them like my cousin and her husband is being done. She is 77 and her husband has COPD. High risk factors. Their children do not let them go anywhere. The children deliver groceries, necessities and medicine.

3 Likes

Iā€™m fortunate enough to not have been laid off, though a few of my coworkers have and Iā€™ve taken a few of their responsibilities so my job got a bit ā€˜saferā€™, but in my industry, our facility would be the first to go.

Probably the most annoying thing about all this for me is that itā€™s affecting my diet and gym time. Iā€™m on a high-protein, high-fat diet and I had to get up early to get to the supermarket to stock up on ground beef before they sell out. Nabbed 33lbs :grin:. Working out at home blows, though.

Yeah the media may be hyping this up a little more than necessary (who knows), but the government never letā€™s a crisis go to waste. I donā€™t have a good feeling about any of this.

Oh fun fact, today is the day of the Purge in the titular movie.

3 Likes