Anybody else been laid off due to the COViD

Definitely a good read :+1:t2:

3 Likes

This is the new news we got today.

Hahaā€¦ If you are eating 2 pounds of red meat every day.

Why would you even worry about gettin the flu?

Links, you slay meā€¦

1 Like

On semi-paid leave (84% of salary). Glad to live in France !
Iā€™ll have time for:

• the kids
  • a bit of works on the house (though Iā€™ll quickly miss some materials)
  • improving my 6-balls juggling (only around 10 catches ATM)
  • and learning new yoyo tricks !!
5 Likes

Worth a listenā€¦Who knewā€¦Government Chickens.

Im on self isolation for a couple weeks. Not laid off (yet) but could be a real possibility here real soon.

Have to work. Thinking of putting a sign on my door saying ā€œsocial distancing in effect- for your safety and mineā€ if I ask someone to step back. Before this,situation it would have sounded like something from a looney bin.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Orlando Airport Chiliā€™s asks servers to come in and clean, then fires them

Posted By Dave Plotkin on Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 6:50 PM

PHOTO VIA URW AIRPORTS WEBSITE

Craftworks did the same to all their employeeā€™s nationwide. All staff was called in and were scrubbing the entire restaurant with a bleach dilution for a couple of days, then fired. Many people got sick from the fumes, or at a minimum burning throat and eyeā€™s, including guest. The servers make $2.13hr.

Speaking of mothballs. Have you ever smelled mothballs? Youā€™ll have to look up the punchline yourself.

2 Likes

$2.31/hour? Canā€™t even live of of thatā€¦

1 Like

The lady who lives in the apartment next to mine works at a chemical making company that is still open. Three of her co-workers got sent for testing because they showed signs. She does not show signs but it takes 3 wks to show up in peopleā€¦
EDIT: I was corrected below about 3 wks to show up. Sorry.

1 Like

No they canā€™t live off of that at all. Many are on food stamps even working 60+ hours a week at 2 or 3 jobs. That is how they get servers to do all kinds of work outside of their job requirements for dirt cheap. The restaurant industry in our country takes full advantage of them since they are the biggest employer in the country as all the manufacturing jobs that paid well left decades ago. Look up the data on how we are the last nation in the world not to pay servers a living wage, but lets corporations force that cost onto the customers, or as managers have to call them, ā€˜guestā€™. It is despicable and all the studies have shown it does not lead to any better ā€˜serviceā€™.

Itā€™s been mentioned ad nauseam in all the industry papers for years and even the ā€˜Adam Ruins Everythingā€™ show had an episode about it 5 years ago. It is a massive multi billion $ hustle.

This is the same reason employeeā€™s were designated with the title ā€˜assistantā€™ or ā€˜coā€™ manager all across the food industry since 2003/2004 iirc and the new law said all ā€˜managersā€™ of title did not have to be paid overtime. So you ended up with a $16k a year salary ā€˜managerā€™ working 80hr weeks.

There is up to a 5 day incubation period in humans according to the current studies. Lives on porous surfaces like cardboard or paper 24hrs and plastic or metal up to 3 days. Wash your hands. :wink:

2 Likes

When a server doesnā€™t make at least the states minimum wage between the $2.31 and tips, the employer has to pay the additional wage to compensate. Minimum wage isnā€™t great buts itā€™s much less shocking than the $2.31 implied here.

1 Like

The incubation period for covid-19 is 2-14 days (source: CDC).

We need to be careful about sharing correct information about something like this.

Also, before symptoms become significant, it is very contagious. People will not know they are spreading it because they do not know that they have it.

3 Likes

I guess in this case they called them into an empty restauraunt just to clean?

One thing I do hope ā€¦ I hope landlords, who are generally quite rich, are willing to forgo at least a few months of rent payments for both individuals (their apartments, homes, etc) and businesses to give things time to get back to normal.

2 Likes

Just thinking out loud here, most of us are safe under the roofs of our houses yet there are people who are homeless and on streets. I just hope they receive help.

3 Likes

My cousin is a nurse practitioner who works at nursing homes. She has no masks and no way to get any. She even went to the hospital and asked if she could have one mask. They said no.

1 Like

decent read for sure. the mortality rate combined with the sheer amount of infectionsā€¦ and then the unknown infection rate that appears to be acceleratingā€¦ those are the numbers that concern meā€¦

1 in 7 mortality rate in his age group is very bad, china is currently tapering off at 4%, italy at 10%ā€¦ globally averaging 1%ā€¦

NYC mayor estimated anywhere from 40-80% of the population could get the virus. california governor estimated 56% of the state could get the virusā€¦

itā€™s not looking pretty

They are not reusable though, but probably are being used as such.

Doesnā€™t a mask that uses replaceable filters make more sense? The filters could be cut from big rolls.

Donā€™t forget about the living wage for the Chinese families who manufacture cheap yoyos. Surely theyā€™d be appreciative of higher protein diet as well.

Some Yoyo manufacturers are not the best Corporate-Citizens they can be. Nor Eco-Stewards.