Any Old Guys Here?

In that case…don’t forget to get your prostate checked.

3 Likes

Well, it looks like only magritte has me beat at this point.

http://tinyurl.com/d6f2n3o

Just turned 42 and so happy to throw…
Fell in love with yoyos at the age of 16 but didn’t learn any tricks by then… took over 22 yrs to get me hooked again at the end of 2008. This time trying to learn the first few tricks. Got as far as braintwister, but interest drifted again due to advanced training next to my full-time job, which took about 2 yrs.
So in the spring of 2011, I got myself a DM2 and have thrown continously since then, though not every day. I am trying to make steady progress and am quite happy with my skills so far. Right now trying to make up some combos and put elements together and get the whole thing look smoother.
What fascinates me most is the fact, that I when I throw, my mind becomes totally focused on nothing else but throwing. Everything else like stress, frustration, anger feels like it has vanished completely. And after I finish throwing, I feel totally relaxed, euphoric, happy - it gives me strength and challenges me at the same moment… So, I don’t think, I’ll ever put my throws down again.

@hadoq: Good luck with your shop! I have a lot of respect for what you’re doing. Wishing you all the best.

Awesome! Glad to hear you back to yo’ing. Welcome to yoyoexpert too!

1 Like

43 going on 44. Still learning new tricks. Still skateboarding too. Longboarding if you care.

I still skate too, but it takes forever to recover!

I’m 11 but ifeel old maybe it’s cause I’m lazy does that count? XD

Cliff Coleman is an avid yoyo player as well… he’s one of the godfathers of downhill skateboarding, been doing it since he was a teenager, he’s in his 60s now.

Kyle

1 Like

What is technically “old” in the yoyo world now?
I’ve been wondering that for awhile because if you see the top competitors right now they are between the ages of 16-25ish around there give and take.

I’m 25 going on 26, and to be honest I’ve aged with the community, albeit a far distance.
and to be perfectly honest I feel a bit too old now to really relate to the community even if its strong with connections and stuff.

Just how it is.

~Z

I’ve had a few 29th birthdays. ::slight_smile:

That’s one of the signs of getting old…you forget how to count! ;D

db

53 here, and not the greatest thrower, but I’m getting closer to finding ‘my’ style . . I even attempt sports ladders at contests sometimes, (2010 3rd place @ Va states!! uhh, . . out of 3 guys that competed though . . :-X, but I got 12-13 tricks as opposed to my time before when I only got like 6 . .so my personal best is yet to come I feel). I’m constantly blown away by the level of play the younger folks just ‘get’. Every year, I feel as though the bar keeps getting lifted higher, on a creative and athletic level. I do get a bit frustrated in truth when I can’t land a suicide or a hook without any regularity, and I see the youngsters using them as mere elements in their routines. I love the whole sport/art of yoyo, I’m probably a lifer . . :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gee, I feel kinda proud that I started this thread which now has waay more responses than I expected.

However, I’m now older than when I first posted.

::slight_smile:

Me too!

Even though I am not old, well it depends on whose perspective your looking from… :smiley:

The part that I find most interesting is the number of people starting to take this up in their late 30’s and beyond. There’s so many reasons for this. Some might be trying to reclaim a lost childhoor, some may be refusing to let go of childhood. I’m sure, most are like me, either had a long held interest or a new discovery of this and want to pursue this.

I don’t think the reason is really all that important. I think what is important is that despite the yoyo being one of the world’s oldest toys, it surpasses culture, gender and age constraints. It’s an item almost anyone can enjoy. That’s why the yoyo is so timeless as a toy.

Sorry some people have issues with this post. It’s sound health advice for males over 50.
There is no sexual connotation tied to this whatsoever.
Keep it in mind. All of you guys will have to deal with it sooner or later.

Gonna back him upon this. It is a very common recommended procedure for men that age. That and a few other procedures.

Not looking forward to turning 50 and having to be “explored” in such a manner.

WHOA! I’m the OP and VERY sorry if I’ve offended anyone. As mentioned in my original post…I’m an older guy and yes, prostate exams (like breast exams) will save your life and become part of your life at a certain age. And yes…older guys do joke about this stuff with one another. I was just attempting to be funny with the young man who “felt old” at age 14. I have kids and a wife and no offense meant to anyone in the slightest. Again, my apologies.

I didn’t see a need to worry about someone being offended. Don’t worry about it. Some people just look for things to get offended about, nothing you can do about them.

I have a wife and 4 kids. This yoyo thing is already expensive enough for me, but now having to “feed” 4 kids yoyos(and possibly the wife)… I think I need to find a way to bring in MORE income!

Case and point: I got a diabolo at BAC. The two eldest want one now, but they have to achieve certain yoyo AND diabolo objectives first. The next ones, at 3 and 15 months, are trying to play with it. The 3 year old can at least spin it. My wife is even trying it and can do a few basic things with it.

Nobody should really be getting offended by a post like that. It’s not aggressive, not hateful, doesn’t evoke any negative feelings, (other than the acceptance that we’ll all have to go through this some day :P). If somebody’s getting offended they just need to man up a bit, (do you use that phrase in the states? …or in France :P)