any girl yoyoers out there?

Well how good are you?

It’s pretty sad that there are not too many female yoyoers. One of my favorite yoyoers is female, Corli du Toit.

Surprised you left out Maya Nakamura (aka Buko) who’s probably the best female yoyoer around.  Former 5A world champion and placed 7th in 5A at Worlds this year.

^ I knew about Carli from the YYE trading card deck, but never heard of Buko. I’m not sure why I haven’t heard of her. I haven’t been doing this long enough I guess that may be one reason. Carli and Buko are great, fantastic skills. I learned something today. Thanks for the list of females. I will look them all up.

My wife yo-yos. But she’s not quite pro level…yet.

That’s great! Were you the one who introduced her to yo-yoing? If so, what was her first reaction when she saw you doing it? What level is she playing at now? I know Andre’s wife Devon yo-yos too, she’s very talented in many ways. I will ask her if they met due to yo-yoing.

You pretty tight with the Boulays are you?

This thread has really become quite informative and objective. I know I certainly have been informed about many females players I was previously unaware of. Thanks so much for everyones participation in a thread that got off to a bit of a slow start. And thanks too to abby1371 for initiating a good topic and conversation.

Those holders I make are sold here on this site, so I do business with them. They are also just cool, bright, and talented people in general, so they are great to talk to outside of business too. I live local to YoyoExpert, so I see them at contests. They are a cute couple, always wondered if they met due to yo-yoing but always forget to ask. If it were true, it would be a cute story I think. I agree, Abby brought a few of us women to light, and she will be sponsored by YoyoJam someday too :slight_smile:

Yezzir. She didn’t know anything about the yo-yo sub-culture before she met me.

She thought it was nerdy for a good while. But after seeing me have fun throwing yo-yos all the time, she eventually caved and started learning to throw.

She knows most of the trick ladder tricks, but hasn’t gotten to a point of coming up with her own combos as of yet. She’s getting there though.

You are great. She is lucky to have you around, for sure. Sounds like she is doing great with the learning process too. I was always impressed by yo-yo tricks. It shows a guy is dedicated to building on a hobby, a passion about something, and a cool way to escape. In order to yo-yo, he has to have patience too and a willingness to learn something new.

That makes me feel happy about myself. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow, they’re are a lot of female yoyoers I’ve never heard of. Gotta look them up.

well i dont blame you because well you cant just have guys yoyoing hmm i wonder if we can have a females only competition that would show alot of the girls yoyoing so sponsors would know of them

You could try. I doubt that you would get very many though.

So? It’s just for the females so that they can emerge from there shell for how limited they are

so people know females can yoyo instead of them hiding in shadows

I have to give this more thought. It would be hard to pull this off, with so few women spread all around the globe. Enough of them would have to agree to meet in one place at the same time, which is hard to coordinate with schedules and everything. There are lots of ways for females to come to sponsors’ attention, but they have to be very skilled to start with. We don’t want females sponsored just because they are females who yo-yo. I think the ones who are really good will stand out among the guys anyway, and I’m fine with that, it seems fair.

1 Like

I think it would be better to start with an all female club first. Just get other females interested and once you have enough, then do a contest. It would definitely be hard to pull off, but I think if you put the effort into it, you could.

True all very good points I wonder if they can have a females division in the national competition think about it they give out the best female player award so why not best female overall kinda like in a separate division of it’s own?

I saw Ann Connolly got a “best female” award at either Nationals or Worlds, I forget which one. I’m not sure if it is an award offered consistently though.

Removed, by popular demand

1 Like