Any fellow Coffee Drinkers?

Anyone here ever try the Four Sigmatic mushroom coffees? I picked up some with Lions Mane the other day and it tastes surprisingly good. I thought it would be weird, but honestly just tastes like a good cup of coffee. And kills 2 birds with one stone, I can’t forget to take a supplement if it’s already in my morning coffee. :smirk:

5 Likes

this is the first I’ve heard of it, the idea is intriguing to me.

2 Likes

This sounds cool, may have to try it later.

I will say in our current world, I’ve been entirely avoiding buying coffee that isnt from a local roaster. Trying to support local specialty coffee as much as I can. When things get better Ill prob start trying some more online ordering of interesting bags of stuff.

I totally get it though if your local places suck or if online ordering is your only recourse for quality beans.

3 Likes

I am happy to support smaller roasters all over and the delivery people in between.

6 Likes

Have you ever thought of roasting your own beans? While I love my local roasters and supporting the cafes when I travel, I get a bit of a sense of accomplishment when I drink something that I roasted to the level I wanted. Of course, when I mess it up, I still drink it and try to figure out how to do better next time.

3 Likes

Maybe for the fun of it, but I feel like the ones that really know what they are doing are going to do way better, and I’m happy to take advantage of their craft.

2 Likes

I was just thinking about this the other day, but I would have no idea where to start bean-wise. What do you look for in green beans for roasting? I read that 2 lbs green will yield 1 lb roasted, but then I wonder about type, region, how to determine freshness, & all the other things I haven’t thought of… any tips?

2 Likes

My brother (20) wanted to buy a beautiful building close to us to start a coffee shop but he decided to move a few hours away for school. Gonna miss the guy.

old building

Isn’t it a great coffee shop building?

6 Likes

I typically get my green beans from Sweet Maria’s, I’ve been dealing with them for probably 15 years, they only sell good beans (they take care of the “how do I know the beans are good” part of the equation).

A pound of green will yield about 12oz roasted beans - apparently there is a significant amount of water that evaporates out during the roasting.

No doubt that people who really know their craft can get the absolute best out of the beans, but, I’ve found that I do OK even with a roaster that has minimal control. Lots of people will start with a hot air popcorn popper or even cast iron skillet on the grill. Be aware that roasting produces smoke, if you want to roast inside, you need a good exhaust fan. I typically roast in the garage. In the summer, door open, in the winter door closed. Opening up the door after a 225g roast has a dramatic outpouring of smoke. However, the garage smells really good for a couple of days after each roast.

7 Likes

I drink it every other day, here in Arkansas we have a lot of local roasters and coffee shops. You guys may have heard about this brand, onyx coffee, they are based 20 minutes away from where we live. I’m enjoying me some coffee today. Not quite a connoisseur in the coffee realm yet, but hoping to become one.

2 Likes

Needs to be fixed up a bit, but great idea!

1 Like

The old time-y vibe about it is what makes it so great!

Never liked coffee…couldn’t stand the taste of it a bit. I’d have to add half a cup of sugar to it to touch it.

But I’m looking for something to give me a small boost in the mornings…so on a whim I picked some packets of instant coffee up to give a try along with some packets of steavia sweetener.

Now I can’t get enough of the stuff! lol…I’m only 4 days in and I’m totally hooked already!
I know ya’ll are cringing at the thought of instant…but I’m fine with the stuff for now.

It’s so weird to me how I like it now when in the past I couldn’t touch the stuff.

9 Likes

There’s been a lot of improvements to instant coffee. While yeah the stuff you get in the grocery store is meh (but certainly passable and drinkable IMO when it’s the only option like was the case when I was in Ireland with my family), there’s some pretty good stuff out there.

In fact, if you want to support a yo-yoer who loves coffee, Markmont is selling coffee in his store right now :grin: He even has instant (labeled as Quickies)

5 Likes

Different strokes for different folks. I keep some instant in my office and have also enjoyed it while camping. I prefer fresh ground and whatnot, but am not above making some instant from time to time.

As for store brands of pre-ground stuff… It’s good enough. I certainly prefer premium lines and blends, but in the midst of the pandemic especially I have resorted to cheap stuff. It works.

5 Likes

I have a coffee maker but don’t want to go through the hassle. I have a big stainless steel insulated mug. I dump what I feel is the right amount of instant Nescafe into it, dump in powdered creamer, add one packet of Sweet and Low, add cold water, close lid, shake vigorously, take to work. Good enough for me.

4 Likes

Are there any fans of Dutch Bros Coffee in the house?! If so, that is by far my favorite place!

I wanted a hands-on approach to making coffee. So I got a manual turn-the-crank grinder and a Bodum french press. Was fun the first week or two, then quickly became a pain. Now I don’t like the hassle so I no longer have coffee. I should probably get a good-ole drip maker sometime.

2 Likes

lol I’m such a coffee noob.

I just added a spoonful of this to my instant coffee and it legit blew my tiny mind!

2 Likes

This is what I’ve been drinking this week… very fruity notes and a good strength.

1 Like