Any car guys?

I’ve got a '13 WRX hatch sitting at ~400whp. Just about full bolt-on upgrades and has been my DD since I bought it new! The hatchback is great practicality wise and my favorite style of the car aside from some of the blobeyes.

Fuel pump died today though :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

How many head gaskets have you gone through? :laughing:

Zero! Tbh the only real mechanical issues Ive had aside from this dang fuel pump is TGV gaskets cracking twice…one time being 100% my fault lol

2 Likes

I bought a brand new VW Tiguan couple months ago and i like it so far. It has pretty much basic equipment, but it is really all that you need for daily life. I think in the foreseeable future i will replace it with the same model, but just much more well-equipped one.

2 Likes

Always been a bike guy, but the ole Mercedes AMG E55 was fun. Built in front and rear bumper K40 radar was helpful. :joy: Electronically limited to 155 mph. :frowning_face:
Bike, GSXR1000 has been 138 mph on one wheel. Topped at 186 mph, also electronically limited.

Found some old pics.

This was our forever car. Been paid for, for years. Similar to Jason’s total, we just finished the 100,000 mile service and it was still perfect. Put a new set of Michelin sports all around. Two miles from the tire shop a guy with no license or insurance tried to pass traffic in the turning lane. Hit me in the door going 55mph. Car saved us with all the air bags. Geico paid us half what it was worth since they had become a cult classic so we didn’t replace it.

3 Likes

Anyone got any suggestions for a nice sounding exhaust setup for a 2007 Ford Ranger? I don’t want it to sound like a race car. I don’t like it when cars make that ultra loud ripping noise. I want a low rumble that increases a bit on acceleration.

SuperTrapp has adjustable exhaust. You add or subtract inner rings to get the sound/volume/power you want.

1 Like

That is a pretty cool function.

1 Like

I’d say I am a guy who happens to like cars haha. Here is my drift car the gf and I have been building over the last 4ish years.

Edit: The build is a stock 1997 BMW 328i motor that has been frankinsteined with another similar 325i motor. Pretty much put 325i pistons which have a different wrist pin location making it a 11:1 “high compression” motor (they come 10.5:1 stock from factory) when paired with 328i rods and crank. Then a cut-ring head gasket and copper spacer to drop compression to 9:1 and give a reliable seal. This is all paired with a Holset HX35 turbo off a diesel motor to keep costs down and bulletproof status points up.

BC coils, every bushing is poly, chassis mount shifter with DSSR, ZF 5 speed trans to hold the power, SLR Speed front tubular control arms/wide angle and the list can go on for days. Car made 430 whp on the mustang roller dyno but I tend to run it at 10 psi since skid pad events have limited space to use the extra power, plus it saves money on tires.

12 Likes

It takes a lot longer, but it’s so cathartic to step back and admire the hand-wash you just did.

I also recently tinted my tail lights. NOT my brake lights. So it’s still legal…probably.

7 Likes

I realized that the other day. My siblings and parents used to pay me a few bucks when I was little to wash their cars and I never enjoyed it but now I’m realizing I’m gonna REALLY enjoy washing my own car.

2 Likes

Interesting choice for donor car, what made you choose a 325i? Looks like you did a good job though

1 Like

The choice came down to what was available and proven as a good chassis for development. Luckily the 325i (e36 chassis in general) was a race proven and supported (in terms of aftermarket parts) chassis for development which also could be found for $500-1000 in running condition. Once I really started diving deeper into the specifics I found that the motors were extremely good with high performance driving abuse which meant cost of maintenance would be lower, not to mention BMW’s focus on creating a great handling suspension geometry.

2 Likes

Sharp pic! I loved turning off the traction control and drifting the E55. Not the best car to do so, especially when you wanted a stick shift but it was fun. Then the tires went way up in $ and that left it it rarely done. That and I got tired of replacing the motor mounts every 2 years!

1 Like

Anyone have experience painting emblems? I bought a 2004 F-250 tailgate emblem and I want to customize them. They look like this.

tailgate

It’s the F-250 emblem on the lower left.

What specifically do you want to do? If you just want to color them all one color, then I’ve read that Plastidip isn’t too bad. Just mask around the area and lay on a couple coats. Though I haven’t tried this myself.

If you want to remove the badges completely to paint them, then I’ve heard of people having success using a hair drier/hot water/or a solvent like Goo Gone to loosen the adhesive then using fishing line to ‘cut’ through it. But you have to be very careful not to damage your paint. Again, I haven’t tried this but that’s how I’ve seen it done.

1 Like

poly motor mounts or Alu are the way but that’s for a race car, not really a daily where you’d like a comfy ride :laughing:

Right! It was the power braking and hard launches that got their pillow mounts. Fine on down force but hard uplifts would wear them out quickly.

Anyone got sweet trucks?

Probably my best car spot:

7 Likes