American Yoyo companies? Canadian yoyo companies?

Interesting thread.

I am not a flag-waving patriot - but I do care about my country. If you say you do not care about the USA; you need to spend some time outside of it. Trust me - you will quickly learn to appreciate what you do have.

I do not think JetEyeKnight was saying that you couldn’t find a good foreign made yoyo. He was just stating a preference for those that are made here

Interestingly - the foreign exchange rate for most yo-yos made outside of the USA - usually steers Americans to US and Canadian companies. That is because yo-yos from YYR, ILYY and C3 are usually much higher in price due to the depressed value of the Dollar.

Adding fuel to the anti-china fire: I do note that yo-yos made in China do not seem to suffer such markup due to currency exchange. I think this is the real indictment of Chinese yo-yos. They are artificially low-priced due to currency manipulation (it is called dumping). That is why I avoid Chinese-made yo-yos as much as I can.

you do not have to be “patriotic” to care about your country. This is where you live. It’s called wanting to see this land you live in thrive instead of die. If you don’t care about where you live much then try living in a another country. Educate yourself before making remarks like that. The worse a country does, the worse the people suffer.

Worth noting, I have actually lived outside of the US before in many different locations.
Just so people don’t think Im all talk with nothing of experience.

Im done, I don’t see this going anywhere good

Interesting conjecture. Do you have some facts to back up this claim? How many yoyos did all of us manufacturers make last year? Do tell. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Buy a yoyo because it appeals to YOU, not because it’s from a specific country.

1 Like

“YYR stuff is amazing, yeah their last run had a few issues…”

NOW, idk about you, but i seem to remember some other companies stamping a letter or a symbol on some of their yo-yos that they had “issues” with and selling them at a reduced price to make up for it. or am i crazy? i think i saw an h-spin antipodes (swiss-made, tippy top quality) somewhere that had an anno flaw and it was like, super duper cheap?

on the other side of the coin, it’s worth noting that even a noticeable amount of vibe will do next to nothing to the average players style. and the world yo-yo contest has been (rather recently) won with a plastic yo-yo. several times as a matter of fact. all within the last decade.

as for the buy american arguement, i’m for it because it is my PERSONAL OPINION (nothing more) that yo-yofactory makes the best yo-yo for the money spent, ergo i won’t be buying a foreign made throw anytime soon unless it’s from a friend for less cash than they paid. you can do any trick you want to learn on a Genesis, why pay more?(that was just my opinion, not based on anything other than blind instinct)

Be on the lookout for canadian companies. Were coming :wink:

What do you mean coming? CLYW is here and landed with amazing products!

Honestly, yoyos are such a small industry it doesn’t really matter where they come from.

Spin Dynamics is in the USA, and Chico Yoyo Company. (Sorry if either has already been mentioned, as I found my head swimming with all the names!)

As mentioned, YYF manufactures several of the metals right here in Arizona; others are manufactured overseas.

I think quality really depends more on the company than on where it’s located, as others have pointed out. But if country of design and manufacture matters to you, then I say include it in your selection process. From that standpoint, knowing where something is made is about the same as knowing how much it weighs, what size bearing, etc. etc.

For the record, I like to buy USA. I view it this way: I’m rooting for everyone to win, but sometimes you have to give the home team a little extra enthusiasm :slight_smile:

Information can be sourced from many places. rarely is it free.

To the OP,
It’s awesome that you want to stick with the US/Canada. I’m not a diehard “America is the best at everything” but I am proud to live in this country. I would also like to buyers US throws simply because it has a bit of sentimental value, and as stated before, it helps the economy. That said, I would buy anything from outside the US except maybe YYR and other overpriced yoyos. For that price, I can get a custom anodized yoyo or a titanium yoyo.

I don’t know about you but I’m excited for the Code2. I plan on buying one when it pops up on the BST or a B grade(or what does OD call their “inferior finished” yoyos?). The arctic circle might be good, although CLYW seems to charge too much for their throws lately. Also a Skywalker is on my wants

So CLYW is enough for Canadians?

:frowning:

Umm. SPYY IS AMAZING!!

aww, we have a stalker. You’re adorable. :wink:

That’s cute.

I have industry knowledge. That’s my job.

That must be an awesome job. You can go around and be like:

http://fuuu.us/219.png

ok “knowledgeable” and adorable then.

1 Like

Oh, say can you see by the dawn’s early light What so proudly we hailed at the twilight’s last gleaming? Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight, O’er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming? And the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there. Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep, Where the foe’s haughty host in dread silence reposes, What is that which the breeze, o’er the towering steep, As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses? Now it catches the gleam of the morning’s first beam, In full glory reflected now shines in the stream: 'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion, A home and a country should leave us no more! Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps’ pollution. No refuge could save the hireling and slave From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave: And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand Between their loved home and the war’s desolation! Blest with victory and peace, may the heav’n rescued land Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation. Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto: “In God is our trust.” And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Just my 2 pennies.
Go America.

But seriously if it is good, buy it.