American Yoyo companies? Canadian yoyo companies?

Hello everyone, I was hoping you could all help me compile a list of yoyo companies based in USA and their yoyos also being made in the USA. Looking at companies based inside the USA and their yoyos being of top quality, my plan is to support America and buy American only. I’m proud to be an American and plan to start putting my money where my mouth is. If I’ve got $120 to spend on a new yoyo, and my choices are foreign-made or American/Canadian-made it’s going to the American/Canadian company.

I’ll start the list:

One Drop
General-Yo
YoyoJam
Foxland Precision
3yo3
VSNYYC

I’m ok with supporting Canada as well since they are our neighbors and our economies are closely related.

Canadian companies:

SPYY
CLYW
Nothern Spin Co
Monkeyfinger

DOn’t put your money in your mouth. Money is dirty.

I can get away with buying YoYoJam. Why? Made in the USA. Plus, my wife is from Vietnam and is supporting “made in the USA” as much as possible. So, YYJ is a slam dunk!

Now if One Drop is an American company…something tells me my bank account is in danger.

Mokey Finger is also Canadian (I think)

Country loyalty is a terrible thing.

I like to keep my options open.

People who are all “omg america made omg we rock, america america woohoo” just tick me off.

I wouldn’t limit yourself to just buying US (or Canada) made throws, as there is a very high chance that there will be other stuff made out of the country that you will like very much.

The statement you made saying that other countries stuff isn’t as top quality I don’t see at all. Some of the YYR stuff, King-yo star, and the ILYY stuff I have thrown are absolutely superb compared to many US made throws.

Not saying all USA made throws are bad, but you gotta broaden your options.

Only way you can truly be getting the most out of your yoyos ya know.

J

1 Like

You have never tried a YYR

2 Likes

lolwut?
so YYR, H spin, c3, ilyy, werrd, tuning point, etc. are low quality? man, I never got the memo.

1 Like

Well, I’m always keeping my options open.

I have stuff from YYJ, YYF, RecRev, HSpin, CLYW, Duncan, Yomega, OD, Werrd, Crucial, Shinwoo, Aoda and more. I just have to know how to play my “system at home” so I can do what I want.

I won’t discount a throw because it’s not made in america. I agree there’s lots of good stuff all around.

1 Like

Foxlandprecision is made in America

He’s just trying to help our economy. Is that so bad? I buy american made things the best I can but the flood of imported products makes it hard not to buy imports.

well helping our economy is one thing. But boycotting products not made here because they’re “lower quality” is just outlandish, wrong, and discriminatory.

Well, I apologize for certain biases and preferences.

My next audio desk is going to be British. It’s either going to be an Allen & Heath iLive T-series(probably the T112 surface) and the IDR64.

If I go Midas, it’s going to be the Pro2, provided I can get at least 64 channels in, 8 channels at the surface and 24 busses going back out. I mean, we’re scaling down from eht $385K XL8 console. There’s gotta be some give and take somewhere.

As far as yoyos: Yes, I’ll buy American, but I’ll also support whatever is GOOD regardless of where it is made.

Oh, and manufacturing for both those consoles is NOT done in China.

(then again, we’re talking about puchases that are going to range from $24K to $32K, not a $120 yoyo, I’m going to spend more on the Cat6E cable and reel than a $120 yoyo)

I’m on a buy american kick myself, but not because other products are not as good, just I would rather keep what money we have here locally for the time being. Just my own personal adult opinion.

P.S.: I’m an Allen and Heath, and believe Midas dealer as well, so if you want the hook up on your next board I’m sure it will only cost you One Drop :wink: hehe.

I was also told the 3yo3 is based out of tampa? yet, I hear or read that it was out of china. So I’m confused with that one. A couple of people have told me that the person who does those is Landon? I believe? Here in Florida. Not sure, still confused on that one.

3yo3 is Landon Balk. I know this as fact.

C3 is over seas.

ahhhh that must have been what was confusing me. Thanks for clearing that up.

Why does having pride on one’s country tick you off? Country loyalty is very important. Many American’s don’t realize the large impact of your small daily decisions on what you purchase has in this country. I don’t wish to educate you about it, because you’re probably not interested in hearing it. I’m not saying boycott any company. It’s a personal decision mainly to help our economy.

Unless there is a shortage of American/Canadian-made throws, my money is staying here.

If I’ve got $120 to spend and my choice is between American/Canadian-made and foreign-made, I’m going to choose American/Canadian-made.

If I’ve got $10,000 to spend, I’ll probably dip my toes in foreign-made throws after supporting America first… I didn’t mean to insinuate that foreign-made throws are bad. I’ve tried ILYY, they are great and I’m sure others are great. I just find it hard to believe that anything could be better than American made when it comes to yoyos. Ernie makes top notch General-Yo throws, Shaun and David make top notch One-Drop throws, Landon makes top notch 3yo3 throws. Heath makes top notch VSNYYC throws… I could keep going. I know who makes the yoyos I like and I’m going to support them. They are active in this community.

Who makes YYR? I don’t know. They don’t participate in the community here. Who makes Turning Point? No clue. They don’t participate in the community here. Why should I buy someone’s throws who I have no idea what they stand for? Just because the yoyos are “excellent”? The guys I know also make excellent throws. So to me the choice is clear.

YYR can have quite a bit of vibe if you dare unscrew it even once. I unscrew my yoyos quite often. I’ve seen a recent warning about YYRs not being designed to spin smoothly or gracefully. I heard YYR are for professionals only. I’m not a professional. I like smooth throws. I’m just not a fan of Japanese throws altogether. Their price tag doesn’t appeal to me, nor the aesthetics. I find I can get just as good of quality from America.

1 Like

I honestly dont care about America much, so maybe thats why, yeah Ill get hate for that statement, whatever, don’t bother me. I honestly don’t have that great patriotism toward the country like some do, and usually the extreme patriotism I see just annoys the hay out of me. But whatever. Apple bucking stupid.

You have the thinking that you cant find anything better than US made yoyos. Again, I don’t doubt that US made throws are excellent, I own many, but so many companies overseas. Kingyo star for example. Makes the smoothest playing throws I have used, and C3 as well is amazing with the quality of their yoyos design and build.

those companies you mention as you not knowing of their creators, I can honestly tell you that those guys actually do a ton for the community, maybe not what you see here on YYE forum as some might not know much english, but all around, those guys put tons into raising up new players and giving back to the yoyo world.

YYR stuff is amazing, yeah their last run had a few issues, but the quality into their throws is something I have not tried anything of to match with it.

Don’t limit yourself.

J

Well, as an American, I tend to prefer that my products are made in America. I’m kinda getting sick of getting Chinese made home appliances(even if American branded) that are literally falling apart in less than a year. Or other Chinese made stuff that falls apart quickly. Or clothing made in India, Thailand, China, Cambodia or even Vietnam that just doesn’t last. I mean, I have Polo shirts I’ve had for 12 years in great shape. These shirts my wife gets at Express don’t even last me 3-4 washes. Serious.

Regarding yoyos, so far I’ve naturally come to the conclusion that I do in fact like American brands. But, I had no influence other than “I bought this stuff and it turns out I like it”, and sure enough YYJ and One Drop stuff. But I like CLYW stuff too.

Not to keep knocking on the Chinese, but I keep seeing the Chinese, who make a fair amount of audio gear, stealing designs and then selling it as their own. Annoys the crap out of me. Mics, outboard, consoles, speakers, amps, active cabs, you name it, they’ve stolen it and are remaking it as if their own. But it’s hard to buy American gear for me when the gear I like to use is not made in America. Sorry, I like British consoles and my speakers are made in the Czech Republic.

But back to yoyos. I’m not sure what the mindset is, but we do know there are Chinese companies making bootleg yoyos. We also know that some of these same companies making bootlegs are also licensing designs to the same companies to make yoyos for them, that the company may in turn also be bootlegging other models of. Go figure that one out.

The bottom line is a good yoyo is a good yoyo. I’m not going to condemn anyone for “not buying America”. It would be nice if companies like YYF made their products in America. But, if they didn’t, the prices would be higher. This is a problem all over the palce, where it’s cheaper to outsource and ship via ocean container.

I want to support America, but I also want to buy the best I can get, sometimes at the budget I have, which is sometimes not too much. In regards to yoyo, I’m not going to miss out because it’s not made in America or Canada. I respect those who want to keep their money ultimately domestic and narrow their options. That’s their choice to make.

I’m not going to limit my options. That’s all I’m going to say.

General-Yo

YoYoFactory probably produce as many yoyos in the USA as all the manufacturers listed in the original post combined.

and that’s not a small amount either.