Ninja Changing Manufacturing Country of Origin; Ethical?

Ehh. If thats whats keeping you from trying certain throws then you’re missing out on some good stuff. Im all for buying American when possible, but business owners need to widen their margains as much as they can. Look at it this way perhaps: These Chinese yoyos are putting food in the mouths of an American family. Jake seems like a good dude and i wont hold his manufacturing choices against him…especially considering the quality of the products he puts out.

9 Likes

You mean other people put out for him.

His QC is great though.

5 Likes

Sure. He still had to put in the foot work to find a shop that makes products to his standards, though. He could have just went with the lowest bidder but that would just mean he would throw out way more throws than he already does. I respect your view, I do. I just would rather support Jake and what he does for the community regardless of where he sees fit to have his yoyos machined

4 Likes

Assuming I don’t eh? Patreon supporter here. Rather give him monies than buy Chinese stuff.

7 Likes

I suppose it was unfaire of me to assume that. Based on your previous comment it seemed pretty obvious where you stood.

1 Like

If you don’t mind me asking, why do you refrain from buying Chinese manufactured yoyos?

I don’t. I refrain from purchasing Chinese made yoyos when the company behind said yoyo got popular from priding themselves on American made. Then they quietly shifted production overseas once popular. Throw in reason x,y,z. But it comes down to business. Just makes sense to have things made overseas. Doesn’t mean I have to get on that train.

No issues with Chinese made. More of an issue in ethics ‘n such.

8 Likes

Second part to this.

There are so many awesome yoyos out now days. Need to be picky or I’d be broke with far too many yoyos.
But hey, I bought a Reaper. It’s awesome. Do I wish it was machined like old G2’s? Heck yes. But hey, I still get behind his stuff.

Doesn’t mean I have to be happy about his choice though.

6 Likes

Gotcha. I definitely understand from where you’re coming.

1 Like

Good points. We may not see eye to eye but I appreciate a clean discourse. Thats one of the reasons i like this forum.

6 Likes

The only people who really put out their own yoyos are people like Onedrop who both design and produce them themselves.

And there’s also people like me who both design and make every single cut on every yoyo I produce. You can’t get more direct than that. :grin:

12 Likes

Need to pick up one of your unresponsives. Long time lurker of your work. Love it.

7 Likes

Did I miss something that happened recently?

Edit: oh I see, this was split from another thread

1 Like

Nothing new.

I just fly off the handles now and again. Bear with me.

3 Likes

I missed the original thread, but IMO it’s fine. Especially in the case of American designers simply outsourcing the manufacturing.

2 Likes

I feel like long off-topic digressions should be moved to their own topic anyways in almost all cases…

1. Easier to follow a properly named topic rather than “kitchen sink this could be about anything and everything, who fricken knows what this is about, do words even mean things any more really”

2. Gives the digression breathing room to become its own discussion

3. Does not bogart the original topic and drive it in unwanted directions

3 Likes

I live in the USA so I will give preference to yoyos designed and made in the USA. I see no problem with someone from China having a preference for Chinese yoyos, or someone from Europe having a preference for their products. Do I ONLY buy USA yoyos? No. I give preference. And lets face it, as long as companies like One Drop are around, why not? But, I do like to collect, explore and experiment. I will be buying foreign products, but I do have a preference.

6 Likes

Well said! :point_up: I too give preference to US made. I don’t try to kid myself that I’ll only buy US YoYos though, only @Grendel has this kind of will power!

2 Likes

OK, then if you feel strongly about this, do you only buy cars made in America? That has a much larger impact.

3 Likes

Prefer US vehicles too! I’ve owned 5 fords and 2 Chevys. Have 2 Ford trucks and an old tractor currently. Like YoYos this is just a preference though, not completely opposed to owning something foreign. Definitely not gonna buy a car made in China though!!!

3 Likes