Clyw made in Canada? Or still at OneDrop?

SO basically I heard Caribou Lodge was machining their Yos at OneDrop. So why not get a OneDrop and Drop (pun not intended) the 20-60$ and get as great a yoyo? But then I heard another rumor that they started making them in Canada? So what has happened? I am sort of mixed up with information here.

I’m no authority, but I understand that they currently do both.

One Drop doing the machining doesn’t make it a “One Drop” yoyo. CLYW still controls the design both from an engineering and aesthetic point of view. When you buy a One Drop yoyo, you are buying a One Drop design, machined with their top-tier expertise. When you buy a CLYW yoyo that is machined by One Drop, you are buying a CLYW yoyo, machined with a third party’s top-tier expertise.

TL;DR: the machining process doesn’t make it a “One Drop” yoyo. Just ask One Drop themselves.

1 Like

Thanks man! Just had to clear things up.

CLYW has certain runs manufactured by OneDrop, but most of their throws are made in Canada.

Why not buy a OneDrop? Well you should anyway. OneDrops designed and machined yoyos are amazing. CLYW throws manufactured by OneDrop are great also, but are designed by CLYW.

Kind of like Coke and Dr. Pepper. DrPepper is designed by DrPepper but manufactured and canned at Coke plants. That is a bad example./././././././

Smartphones. the Processor in the your iPhone is made my Samsung, so why not just by a Samsung? well beacuse the design of the experiance is different.

1 Like

I think both of those examples work well and was trying to think of a better way to describe it, but gave up after a few minutes. The Samsung example is perfect.

How do you know which models of CLYW throws are made in Canada vs. One Drop? I’m just curious :stuck_out_tongue:

Chris has stated on more than one occasion which throws are machines in which country. In the case of Chiefs and Canvases, they are machined by One Drop.

At least 70% of CLYW are made in Canada. One Drop themselves make excellent yoyos.

I like to think of the smaller companies as a team. Notice how MFD, CLYW, and One Drop are always working together. I personally like it. CLYW seems to be selling plenty of yoyos at their current price point. That’s their marketing and if you want to save the money MFD, One Drop, G^2, and STYY make good throws at different price points.

My goal is to get a product from both OneDrop and CLYW. They are both awesome companies.

It’s the design you are paying for not the machinist. Needless to say, One Drop machined CLYWs seem to be a lot smoother than previous CLYW incarnations. Then again, it may be more of a reflection of Chris’s developing skill than expert machining. Or it could just be a combination of both. Though it’s my understanding that some CLYWs are machined in Canada and some in the US.

My great grandmother used to sew rips in very expensive fur coats for the rich ladies of neighboring cities. Once she was done, and they got the bill, they would always complain about how much it cost. They would say they know the thread and stuff isn’t that much, so why is it so expensive? She would then reply Well, you aren’t buying the thread, now are you? You’re buying my experience and expertise in sewing fur coats.