Am I the only one who thinks… “everyone else is so much better than I am”

who watches the videos posted and thinks…

“everyone else is so much better than I am”

seriously.

you guys are awesome.

i am not.

kgb

11 Likes

haha I’m right there with you on this one!
I try so hard not to compare myself to others…but dang…it’s hard!
It makes me feel self conscious and ashamed.

I just have to accept that I’m a slow learner and that I’m not as fast to progress as others. I go on faith that as long as I don’t give in, I will slowly inch my way there.
It’s going to be a long journey!

9 Likes

I honestly try not to compare myself to others be it that they are more skilled than I am or much less. I’m just in this for fun and relaxation :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I honestly think that my skill is not worthy enough for my yoyos :rofl:

11 Likes

Change your perspective.

Less than 1/10th percent of the entire World population throws yo-yos.

So… even on your worst day.

You are still better than 99 percent of the population of the planet Earth.

If I entered a Yoyo Contest. And there were prizes for the top 10 finishers.

I would end up in 11th place.

And if at the last second; the Janitor decided to enter. They would prolly hand him 11th place.

And leave me holding his Mop.:flushed:

Throwing yo-yos is about having fun. If you enjoy yo-yos. You are as good as you need to be at that moment.

Even people that climb the tallest mountains only move one step at a time. Some never get to the top. But the adventure is taking the challenge. And the determination to improve yourself generates a more positive mindset.

You don’t have to be better than everybody. You don’t have to be better than anybody. You just have to make an effort and have some fun.

I throw… I am not that good… But I throw and I smile,

Over and over…

26 Likes

Very true indeed!

But I’m not so sure of my judgement, because according to @yoyodoc, I have a ‘disturbing brain’. Lol

4 Likes

I have felt the same way, but there are three questions that keep me going and happy.

1. Do I enjoy throwing? - Yes.
  2. Do I enjoy collecting. - Yes.
  3. Is it an affordable hobby? - Yes.

My other hobbies are photography, playing music and modular synthesis. I have one camera that cost more than all of the yo-yos that I will ever own. I have one guitar that cost even more. Don’t even get me started on the cost of modular synthesis. I have found my cheap hobby and I enjoy it, no matter how long it takes me to get good at it.

5 Likes

There is term for this, “imposter syndrome”. I think we should all remember that, ultimately we came here to have fun, learn, and share knowledge about this spinning thing at the end of a string.

4 Likes

Yeah? Try telling that to my bank account! :sob: :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I’ve never heard of this before…after google searching it, damn it nails me!
I wonder if my doc has a pill to treat it? lol >.<’

1 Like

Right when everybody almost forgot.

You slay me Glen…

Just take comfort in knowing that the larger the brain. The greater potential degree of disturbance.

I would consider you only very very slightly disturbed.

:wink:

6 Likes

Well that’s much better.

I have a small, slightly disturbed brain.

4 Likes

Recognition and realization is part of the cure.

I am seeing promising improvement here.

Remember, Glen. I have a problem too.

My brain is too tense.

Two tenths the size of a normal brain.

:clown_face:

5 Likes

Well as long as I can still make yoyos, I don’t care the size or psychological defecit of my brain.

6 Likes

That’s the score.

And honestly that’s why I keep throwing. Because I need to keep coming back to the moment and reminding myself that THAT’S what matters. Not some impossible, insatiable desire to compare. If you’re able to play authentically and give yourself to it one throw at a time, no one can better than that.

8 Likes

I guess I’m in good company then.

I didn’t mean to sound all negative. I love throwing and I understand that I’m better than everyone else I know but DANG. The tricks that some people throw. I was watching one where the guy throws and is immediately into a more complex situation than I’m capable of, continues to toss/ bounce/ twist through it and nails the bind. :flushed: it was beautiful and humbling. I was struggling to figure out the first part and he made it look simple.

I’ll keep practicing and celebrate the little things, like nailing a kamikaze all smooth. :grin:

It’s what I can do.

kgb

7 Likes

if you throw it into the ground, or throw it into the air… if you’re enjoying yourself, learning… at your OWN pace- not the internet’s pace - what makes you happy, then who cares? it’s not about the yo itself, it’s about the yo and you… the yo in you.

9 Likes

I have a lot of issues, but impostor syndrome is not one of them. It is highlighted by a need to be thought of as smart, or at least informed on the subject. I think I have made it abundantly clear that I am an idiot. I don’t know how to live on a budget, I don’t know how to just say no to BST, I don’t know when to keep my mouth shut. I could go on and on, but I am sure that someone will do that for me. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Kinda surprised to hear you say this. Not a word I’d go anywhere near when trying to describe you.

3 Likes

Do not compare or compete with others and people will respect you.

4 Likes