Am I the only one who thinks… “everyone else is so much better than I am”

Something that makes me feel a little more accomplished is try to think of every trick you can do. Not the huge combos you see online but the most basic beginner trick. Count them all up, its probably quite a few tricks to someone who doesnt throw. My number is way more than I give myself credit for. Granted I can barely string two together unlike the dramatic symphonys of beautiful throw flow we see online.
Bottom line I enjoy it and it is something I will do till I cant physically. We will see where it goes. I think we should judge how good we are by how happy it makes us.

10 Likes

I am certainly guilty of having this thought at times.

I play with yoyos because I really enjoy playing with yoyos and that is what it is about for me. I know that my skills steadily increase over time and don’t fall into the rut of thinking I have to get to a certain level by a certain time, if it was just about getting good I would have packed it in long ago.

7 Likes

Yes, but yoyodoc is right…You can see what he means when you look at peoples reaction to even the simplest of tricks. Unless you put the average person in a room with Gentry Stein, Zach Gormley, or Shion Araya, and me, the reaction to my moves will be just as impressed. I do like to point people to what’s happening on the stage during contests, and if I am around them enough, show them a video of someone at the absolute highest level of this art.

I almost stopped throwing a year or so ago because I became discouraged with my apparent lack of progress compared to many of my yoyo friends, but after I entered a contest for the 3rd time, I realized I don’t need to base my view of myself on comparisons with others. All I need to do to be a good yoyoist is to have fun doing it…

9 Likes

do what you like, and for the reasons you like it. there’s no arbitrary bar we have to meet to join the yoyo party. our money is as good as theirs…

5 Likes

I mean at the end of the day most people on here are probably better than I am. That said I really could care less, I love throwing and just learning in general. If it takes me 6 month to learn a trick so be it. I am not numb to the skillsets of those around me, but this is a hobby for me and as such comparing myself to pro/high calibur players isn’t a realistic way of going about things.

5 Likes

i’m not aware of any yoyo caste system being put in place. if you feel as such, @yoyodoc is the head of global guerrilla yoyo justice tribunal (GGYJT) and will be able to assist in any duress you may encounter…

5 Likes

i definitely feel like a fraud, especially when i buy a nice new expensive yoyo.

3 Likes

did you steal it? did you obtain by deception? are you possessing by unseemly methods? if you’ve answered no to all of these questions, it would suggest that fraud is not the case. however, i’m not a lawyer or an officer of the law… just a rando on the internet.

3 Likes

Look, no one’s perfect okay?
I choose to exercise my rights and am choosing to plea the fifth.
Also…I need a lawyer.

3 Likes

5 Likes

I completely agree with OP, which is why my Instagram is only pics of my throws and no videos.

2 Likes

I feel like a fraud not that I’ve committed fraud it’s because I keep buying expensive multiple items for hobby that I’m not that good at it. It’s like if I decided I was going to start running so I bought a pair of hundred dollar running shoes and then I bought five more pair

4 Likes

I definitely think everyone else is much better than I am because it’s basically true. However, that does not stop me from throwing or collecting. I’m old enough to be at peace with my (physical dexterity) limitations, and so I try to just enjoy what I can do rather than get down about what I can’t do.

6 Likes

I take a different point of view on this. I just got a G2 Banshee SS in a mystery box. My thought is “I’m not yet ready for this.” … … … Not YET ready. I look at it every day. It is incentive. As will be the TI Vader and the Hommingbird that are on my very short wish list.

If designers don’t want us to buy yoyos to look at they should not make them so pretty. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i learned the 1.5 GT today.

so that’s cool.

kgb

3 Likes

Is that because it is an unresponsive yoyo and you don’t yet know how to bind? Or maybe because you don’t yet have good control over the yoyo and are afraid you’ll damage it?

'Cuz other than those concerns, a Banshee SS is no harder to play with than any other yoyo. In fact, I’d say that its spin time and stability make it easier to play/learn with than most.

In any event, I’m glad you didn’t say you didn’t feel “worthy” to play (or own) the Banshee SS. The whole, “I’m not very good so I don’t deserve to throw a high-end yoyo” attitude mystifies me.

1 Like
5 Likes

This. Mostly because I hear bi-metals are easier to damage. I actually prefer to learn on a good yoyo and thus, I use a Deep State and Weekender. For unresponsive I use a couple of nice B grades.

1 Like

lol yoyo purchase guilt. I can never get over that. Nice to know I"m not the only one

You chose to flea the pith! Awesome.