A message to young players...

Listen, guys, this has been really bothering me recently. I’m not saying that this is all young players, and I’m not naming any names or anything like that. But guys…

YOYO IS ABOUT FUN.

It’s not about being on a team, or being sponsored, or about winning contests. All that stuff is great, but if you make it the focus, you completely miss the point and should honestly just quit yoyo. Yoyos, at the end of the day, are just toys. What are toys for? Playing with and having fun. You know why I love and respect players on say the Duncan Crew or Team Chubby Lovin’ rather than the players on say Team YoyoFactory? Because when you look at those videos from the Crew or Team Chubby Lovin’, its all about having fun and being with friends and spreading the joys of yoyos. Then you look at Factory videos, and yes, they are incredible and, as a player, they totally make my jaw drop, but they just don’t have the soul that other videos do. I’m knocking the Factory players, they are some of the best in the world, but honestly I think sometimes they miss the point a little.

Now, to address you guys specifically. I’m on Team Foxland Precision. I wasn’t really ready to join when I did. Alvin Rolins just needed to have someone test out his yoyos since he doesn’t yoyo himself. I live a few minutes away from him. That is the only reason that I initially joined. Now that I’m better, I can go to contests to represent the company. But, guys, thats what being sponsored is about, REPRESENTING THE COMPANY. Not getting free yoyos. Contests are about having fun, and trading tricks and yoyos, and being part of a community of players and friends. NOT WINNING TROPHIES AND MEDALS. Teams are about players getting together and playing together and becoming better players… Look, I’m not trying to reprimand anyone, I’m simply reminding everyone why we all started doing this, because it looked ridiculously fun. If you aren’t having fun anymore, or you’re not in it for fun anymore, i don’t want to sound rude or anything, but just quit.

That’s all I had to say.

tl;dr QUIT YOYO IF IT ISN’T FUN FOR YOU ANYMORE. THATS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT. inb4 Hokey pokey.

29 Likes
14 Likes

WORD!!!

1 Like

Great post! Thanks for posting this. :slight_smile:

You stole what I was going to say. :stuck_out_tongue:

Zach, I love you!

Lol my wife says that that video looks like me when I yoyo sometimes :stuck_out_tongue:

You hit it right on the nose Zach :wink:

Zach, you’re my hero.

Nice!

pretty much the truth bro thanks for posting this! As much as i wish i could be sponsored , if i ever did get sponsored by anyone i would make sure i’m still having fuun, there’s no point in doing this unless you’re having a good time! As far as the factory players not having fun don’t say that they don’t all take it seriously. i’ve seen some pretty awesome players have fun while repping the factory.

Example 1:

Example 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWxBpKzGGKQ

Not defending them but i’m making a point that they’re not all serious all the time. They’re all really chill people when you talk to them and don’t take this all seriously. I’ve talked to some of them about contests and some of them say they just want to rep the factory as best they can. I agree on alot of what you say zach as far as taking yoyoing too seriously goes but not everyone on every team is going to be all fun all the time, they just feel like they need to do the best they can to represent the company they’re sponsored by.

mmk got my 2 cents in… don’t be hatin’ kids! remember…

YOYO=love

1 Like

Oh no, I totally agree, I didn’t mean to generalize YYF’s team, cause I have talked to a few of them, and they’re great people, this is just something that I’ve noticed in several cases. Thanks for the post. :smiley:

1 Like

You sir, have made my day year.

This deserves a sticky.

Zach, you are officially my hero.

I said it first. :stuck_out_tongue:

I so agree !

what I believe is, people who succeed in yoyoing are people who are the ones who play for fun, they have so much fun that they end up playing that much and get better.

Fun is what makes the grind work

but you know, kid’ll be kids, they got to learn the hard way, and all in all, if a kid yoyos, it’s better than if he was out there smoking pot and messing with the wrong crowd, so even if they focus on competition and whatnot, it’s not that bad of a thing anyways, so I say we should just let em.

1 Like

Well, yoyoing to me is all about the contests because you get to meet other players. So, my theory would be:

Win contests>Get sponsored so you can go to more contests> Meet other players> profit

You can still go to contests, not compete, not be sponsored, still meet other players, and still profit/learn from the experience.

I somewhat disagree. This may seem strange but I think yoyoing is what you make of it. If you want it to be fun then it can be. If you want it to be a challenge then it can be that too. Don’t tell people that if they aren’t having fun yoyoing then they need to stop. That is just plain wrong. Maybe people do it for other reasons. Stress relief is a good reason. I mean I don’t always have fun yoyoing but I love it. lf you think you can’t yoyo productively and not have fun then you are wrong.

4 Likes

I agree with you on so many levels. Yoyos are a TOY. It’s amazing how many people forget this. Yoyoing is more than playing for fun though. Competitions ARE fun, so some people will focus on competition. They are still yoyoing for fun. I agree that if a person’s only focus is the next comp, and they are crushed if they don’t place where they want, they are missing the point.

1 Like

Yoyos are definitely a toy, and I still enjoy it. I’ve been throwing since like, April, and I love it. I’ve been trying to learn so many different styles at once, because everything just looks so amazing. No matter what people say, I’ll still throw my Genesis in school. I’ve thrown it so much, the edges look like crap, because I had to satin it, but I’m always excited when I get a new trick, and cold fusion, no matter how basic, is still fun to do :smiley:

Yeah, don’t get me wrong guys, competitions are a blast. I love going to them. I meant don’t get the wrong idea about actually competing. My freestyle at SER placed 13th because i deliberately made one that I knew would score little points but look ridiculously awesome. It was a blast. I don’t get all busted up over losing. its not even a thing.