A lil sOMEThING something. [Anglam question as well]

My whole point of that entire post is this.

7075 is not better than 6061.
Design is the important factor.

David, whom is from One Drop (I just now learned that from your post) said Design is more important, so I was happy. In terms of “Me not being a manufacturer”… … Do you know how many people use machines to cut Aluminum every day? You don’t need to be a yoyo manufacturer to have knowledge of such things. Am I an expert? No, and David (whom again, I just learned) clearly has enough expertise to settle the score. Which he did. I wasn’t stealing his thunder. I have great respect for OD, and I would have rather come off more polite knowing that now, I even feel awkward calling him by his first name.

Regardless of the numbers you (or I) throw around, or what units they are in, the difference is still minute (in this application). You might be calculating this 2.5gram difference off the Density of Aluminum alloys… I’m not going to follow you down that road, because A. It’s irrelevant B. I’m very confused what you’re to convey with this calculation. Basically, regardless of some 2.5g difference, in 25 cubic centimeters (which I can’t visualize), it’s null. You only need to add .002"*** (or 0.00508 cm if that’s what you’re into) to the thickness of the walls to accomplish the same weight. Btw, why are you discussing the weight difference? Do you really think that’s what 7075 is used for?

Therefore, the density, is nearly the same between the two. Is there a difference? Yes, and it will scale up to to a number that makes it look so much more mighty than 6061, but in this application it’s not that big of a difference. If you take a 7075 design and completely replicate it in 6061, it’s going to be lighter right? Well you can just baaaaaarely tweak it to get that weight and it will essentially be the same shape. You would have to use a caliper to find the difference (0.00508cm). At the end of the day you basically have the same yoyo.

So why would people use 7075 if the difference is so minute? Because it’s strong as heck. It can take more abuse than 6061. I’ve knocked my 7075 throws on some stuff and it only left ano marks. It’s great. If you were to come into a thread saying “Gee, I love how strong 7075 throws are!”… but it almost Never is talked about like that. Which is why I’m explaining this stuff. Sure you can say 7075 is like the “Premium” aluminum, but in all reality, it’s just more durable, which is great. I just don’t want people to spark this common misconception that 7075 is some magic alloy that makes mind blowing yoyo designs.

***more or less depending on size of yoyo etc, using number from the majesty because it’s a pretty common size and weight

From my experiences throwing and reviewing the GZR Line compared to its 6061 counterparts I came to the conclusion that design is the deciding factor. The added weight from the increased density added a little extra “oomph” to the throws but that was about it. They played extremely similar to each other.

I will have the best 6061 vs. 7075 test in a little bit. Ernie is sending me a v.2 Majesty that is 6061 compared to the v.1 which was 7075. He tweaked the weight on the v.2 so it feels like a v.1 and has said in a blind test of a raw preproduction of each model had people unable to tell the difference between the two. I am so looking forward to seeing if this is true.

When the whole yoyos made of 7075 compared to 6061 you can definitely feel the difference as clearly seen with the GZR line or SuperNova LITE, but I’m kinda skeptical adding a 7075 weight ring would make a noticeable difference. Yes the Berserker does do that and yes it does play fantastic, but is the weight ring the key behind that awesome play or is it just the weight placement which could have been achieved without a 7075 weight ring.

I do find it much easier to accept that a titanium or stainless steel weight ring would actually influence play because of the larger weight difference to 6061 aluminium.

And to get back to the topic of sOMEThING, I’ve briefly tried a few including the ANGLAM, Superfly and Firmy, and none of them particularly appealed to me.

I haven’t had the opportunity to try any of the something yoyos, but I can put in a good word about their string. We bought a 100 pack of something string on a whim and it has quickly become the goto string and favorite of my two teenage throwing sons. I also like it and find it very soft and pliable. It tends to fray quickly though and then does not hold its tension well once worn (true of most strings I suppose).

Right now, you don’t stand up to your words. You only got to this conclusion after da5id’s post. Don’t even, it’s just shameful…

Here we go again with not standing by their own words.

Clearly you started the rant discussing the weight different, where you say its “minute”.(by the way, you should really check the dictionary. You aren’t using ,“minute”, right. "Difference is so “minute”, I think you mean minuscule because “minute” means precise. Different but precise is an obvious oxymoron) So why are you asking me why I’m discussing weight difference?

Anyways, regarding you’re sarcastic question “Do you really think that’s what 7075 is used for?”, let me counter that question, Was I the one that was just corrected when he said 6061 is less taxing to machine than 7075? Both the fracture toughness of both aluminums are similar therefore you can’t do thin out the walls or it will crack easily. In terms of hardness, 7075 is about twice as hard as the 6065 therefore it’s more resistent to abrasions(blasting), dings, scuffs, and all those aesthetic damages. I understand what it’s not and what it is used for.

Obviously, it’s you who have no understanding behind the 7075 alloy which is the same reason why you keep demeaning YYR throws and their pricing.

Lets me use both manufacturers words again:

Here’s the take of a manufacturer from Canada

"I use 6061-T6 because it is readily available and isn’t overly priced (keeping the cost low = lower retail price). I’d prefer to use 7075 because it machines way better and doesn’t act so gummy. The 6061 can build up on tools/taps etc and doesn’t give you the same finish, which means that most SPYY yoyos need to be polished, buffed or bead blasted after machining for a nice final product. Unfortunately most suppliers in Canada charge up to three-four times more for the 7075."

Here’s the take of a manufacturer from USA:
"7075 IS much more expensive to purchase though.  And as Geezer said, it is more difficult to anodize."

Also, let me save you from shaming yourself once again in the future when you throw out another rant on YYR pricing:
http://bit.ly/12umLeQ

Couldn’t agree more. Whilst I don’t doubt that there are slight differences between 7075 and 6061, in the context of such a small object (weight rings) the difference in mass is surely negligable.

Maybe it’s something to do with machinability? Perhaps the rings due to their size or thickness would be more difficult to machine in 6061? I’m just theorising here.

Edit: Have to agree with Iyoyo about the Yen/Dollar (or in my case Yen/Pound) at the moment. YYRs are now priced the same as most CLYWs, it’s wicked. =D

Goodbye willpower! XD

Yuki

I hear that!

Actually, the lack of IRG means it’s easier to machine.

In the end, YoYoJam still does the best application in terms of making Bi-material yoyos. Their bronze weight rings are 3-4 times denser than aluminum. People think little of YYJ but they actually have some of the better engineers making their yoyos.

OMG I’VE CHECKED THE PRICING IT’S 145$ FOR AN A-GRADE YYR I DON’T EVEN THIS IS HEAVEN