A lil sOMEThING something. [Anglam question as well]

Yup. You don’t see every 9/10 kids with an Anglam like you see kids with Iphones and such.

Still need to get myself a FIRMY, The V, and Crazy D. I’m a huge fan of Mickey and I’ve tried the FIRMY before. From what I can see, even though his style [yoyo and clothing] may be a little extravagant, his yoyo designs are pretty simple enough to let it function what it needs to do while still keeping a simple aesthetic.

As for Christopher Chia’s weight rims in his signature Anglam, it’s a secret and no one seems to know what it is. Even in Hironori Mii’s store in Japan, known for its very detailed specs for every yoyo, lists the material for the rims as “secret”

For some reason, might be something I read somewhere, I thought the rings in the CC version were made from 7075 aluminum. Somewhat similar to the Berserker. I thought that explained why they were able to reduce the price so significantly.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Nice rant.

If there is no difference between the play of 6061 and 7075; then why does the Berserker bother adding the 7075 rings? Obviously, there is a difference - or is it all in C3’s head? I had no idea that all the 7075 YYR throws were designed for the “unskilled” and “ignorant” players. Thanks for clearing that up.

I will not dip into the morass of alloy arguments. That has been beat to death. The proliferation of 7075 throws PROVES that there is a difference. Those who continue to say otherwise, or try to insult hose with contrary opinions, are simply showing their own ignorance and immaturity. Why is it so obvious that 6061 is a better material for making yo-yo’s from when there are no facts to back that up? Why is it so important to obsessively proclaim to the world that 7075 is not good for making yo-yo’s when clearly it is? Grow up.

The REAL reason that 6061 is favored over 7075 is the increased price and the wear/tear on the manufacturing machines. 6061 also takes the pretty colors better than 7075. NONE of these factors is relevant to the consumer; only the manufacturing companies trying to cut their costs and pad their profits.

So which is best? Don’t listen to the opinions of those with skin in this game. Throw them and see for yourself.

You clearly either did not read my post (based on reiterating me saying 6061 is less taxing to machine as if i didn’t just say that LOL) or you have a serious lack of reading comprehension

I’m going to refrain from making a judgment and going to let you reread my post before i actually respond to your post.

Thanks for your positive outlook on this discussion.

If a yo-yo made from 6061 aluminum has a mass of 66 grams, then that same yo-yo made from 7075 will have a mass of 69 grams. There certainly is a difference, but it isn’t as magical or significant as what some yo-yoers believe. In the hand, a few grams of difference is going to be barely, if at all, noticeable. On the string, the mass of the yo-yo can be deceptive—what you feel is going to be largely dependent upon how that mass is distributed.

He never said that at all.

You just did.

No, truth is independent of what the general populace believes.

Contradicting someone with a counterpoint is hardly an insult. It is the basis of discussion. SkyHigh’s post may be slightly sensational, but you are guilty of the same transgression. How about you show your own knowledge and maturity rather than name calling?

No one in this thread has said that 6061 is a better material to make yo-yos from. However, it does have its benefits of being cheaper to produce yo-yos made from 6061.

It is not that 7075 is not good for making yo-yos; the matter of discussion is that 7075 is an over hyped material and people tend to think that it produces ‘better’ yo-yos when, in fact, it simply allows for slightly different designs that may cater toward some throwers’ preferences. How about you grow up?

Your facts in this section are correct, but your conclusion is flawed. Lower price is relevant to consumers (see: RecRev). Last I checked, color is extremely important in a yo-yo buyers’ mind. Take a look at how many different color ways and special edition yo-yos are on the market today for evidence.

You even believe that color is important yourself. In the YoYoRecreation Appreciation Thread, you name off both what YYR yo-yos you have and what colors they are. Again in that same thread, you state “Wow! That is flippin gorgeous squared.” in regards to the color of the Rainbow splash Attune. If color were not an important selling point for consumers, why do you discuss it at all?

2 Likes

True, True.

We seem to have totally gone off topic here. Let’s return to our regular programming shall we?

Anyway, comparing the original Anglam to its CC brother, I’d have to say that the CC feels a tad slower (though by no means sluggish) but a bit more stable. Also feels quite a bit more solid on the end of a throw. I’d also like to know what that weight ring is made of. Hopefully nothing radioactive :wink:

Yuki

1 Like

Is it?

You tell me, i would expect you to be an expert so what’s my opinion to you?

I meant to specify the machining element. The harder material presumably will wear out the element faster.

I would hope that your CNC machine would not even notice the difference in terms of motor/drive capability. If it can cu Ti; then Aluminum in any form, would be butter.

I wish people would remember: I did not start this rant.

That’s right, i started it cuz it needed to be said.

Nice how out of my whole “rant” the only thing disputed was a variable i threw in as a tidbit lol. Says a lot eh?

If a mod wants to move all this to a diff thread that’d be cool, if not i apologize for derailing

It doesn’t really wear out the tools or stress the machine any more than 6061. It is a harder and denser material but not enough to affect machining.

7075 IS much more expensive to purchase though. And as Geezer said, it is more difficult to anodize. There are trade-offs for both materials. Our experiment with the GZR line was to take a model that was made in 6061 and make it exactly the same in 7075 and compare the difference. Our conclusion from this experiment was that design has a much bigger impact on play than the difference between 6061 and 7075 although the difference in material matters as well.

Interesting, from all the research I’ve done on machining receivers, the gun world typically tends to say 7075 wears tools quicker… But I’ll take your word for it.

Regardless, tidbits aside, thank you for basically backing my post by saying design has a much bigger impact. That’s truly what I wanted to say.

No disrespect to you, or your brand (which I’m unfamiliar)

[quote=“da5id,post:33,topic:53619”]

[quote=“YoyoGeezer,post:31,topic:53619”]

I do not think that I, or anyone, ever said that the material was “more important” than design. Clearly, design is the most important thing of all. Look at the OG vs Comeback Avalanche. They both look the same; same materials, but the play is just slightly different. Obviously, a small change to the design has far more impact than any material tweak will.

I certainly would rather be spending this time talking about design. Not aluminum.

All good :slight_smile:

1 Like

You know what’s funny?

You guys pronounce it “A-loo-min-um”

We pronounce it “Al-oo-min-ee-um”

I prefer 7075 anyways because of the nice polish you can get on it. My 7075 Genesis glistens in the light, it’s gorgeous. :smiley:

yeah in egypt we pronounce it ‘‘Al-oo-mon-ium’’… kinda funny

I’m with you on that one. I think the difference in pronunciation comes from the difference in spelling. Stateside (and most other places, judging by online shops) spell it as “aluminum”, while the UK and most of it’s constituents spell it as “aluminIum” with the extra ‘i’. Highly doubt the truth behind it, but there is a story that the difference in spelling is because an early American dictionary had a typo and they’ve just spelt it that way ever since.

Yuki

Wrong.

You can do as much research as you want but the fact you fail to include the basic concepts in yoyo-ing just renders all of it futile. You’re not a manufacturer.

Exhibit A:

I don’t understand why you even pick pounds and inches as unit of measures when yoyos are weighted in grams and are measured in centimeters.

Here’s are my conversions:

6061 = 2.70 g/cm^3
7075 = 2.80 g/cm^3

Now lets consider an area of 25cm^3.
2.8 x 25 = 70 grams
2.7 x 25 = 67.5 grams

2.5 grams is a lot when we’re talking about yoyos.

Exhibit B

the density numbers you got are obviously wrong. Why would you even round the numbers when we’re talking about yoyos that weigh 60-70 grams…

7075 = .102
6061 = .0975

The difference is .0045lbs which is 2 grams. That’s alot when we’re talking yoyos

Exhibit C

Again with this “research”

Why do you just casually throw around that ," I’ll take your word for it.", to a real manufacturer from onedropyoyos? Such a condescending attitude. Is is the “reputation” you bestowed upon yourself here at YoYoexpert?

Heres another manufacturer, Steve of SPYY. You can take 2 “words” from 2 yoyo manufacturers now.

“I use 6061-T6 because it is readily available and isn’t overly priced (keeping the cost low = lower retail price). I’d prefer to use 7075 because it machines way better and doesn’t act so gummy. The 6061 can build up on tools/taps etc and doesn’t give you the same finish, which means that most SPYY yoyos need to be polished, buffed or bead blasted after machining for a nice final product. Unfortunately most suppliers in Canada charge up to three-four times more for the 7075.”

Exhibit D

I re-read your post. That’s not what you ,“truly what I wanted to say”, in fact, that’s not even close. Why are you trying to take da5id’s credit for his post? You’re discussion about the weight differences is invalid as was shown.

Besides, here’s what you, “truly what I wanted to say”, and I quote: