does different aluminums made a big difference in play?

Does a more expensive aluminum actually make the yoyo play better? Or is it just higher quality or something? Like 6061 and 7075. If I have a 7075 super g and a 6061 super g, will they play a little but different?

I believe they will play different. Weights change mostly

6061 - 2.70g per cm3

7075 - 2.81g per cm3

So 7075 is very slightly denser, although I’m not convinced that there will be a noticeable difference in play. 7075 feels different, it’s more resonant and generally shinier, but it’s also more difficult to anodise/blast. 7075 is stronger so it can be machined to greater tolerances, meaning that you can be more precise with weight distribution and also relieves the need for too much metal around the axle area, alleviating the need for hub nubs/nipples and the like.

7075 is generally a better material for making throws because of the ability to minimise centre/wall weight and put more weight at the rims, or anywhere else that it may be desired with more precision. However the same design made in both 6061 and 7075 won’t have too much difference in performance, just perhaps in feel due to the slight weight increase.

1 Like

Okay, so getting a cheaper 6061 isn’t a bad idea? Haha, I want a super g. So I can get a 6061 for like $85, and if it’s a b grade, it will be even less… Right

No, of course it’s not. Most throws are made of 6061. Look at CLYW: Most of their throws with the exception of a few are 6061, and they are regarded as some of the best in the world. One isn’t better than the other, they’re just different.

I’d just get the 6061 Super G. It’s only $85, which is a respectable price, but I would never pay $120 for one. If you can find a B Grade, that might be good, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Thats what I was thinking, because the only throws made of 7075 that I know of, are the super g and supernova (which you can get in 6061)
I feel there’s no point in buying a 7075, its just like x2 as much money…

No, as far as play is concerned you won’t see a difference. Unless you beat it up you probably won’t notice a difference in durability either.

Better is a matter of interpretation. Different would be a better term.

The GSquared Triton in the AL7(7075) plays the way I really want it to play. So, in those regards, it is “better” to me than the regular Triton, which ain’t a slacker in any way either.

Actually, I prefer all the GSquared AL7s over their originals. However, these are the only ones I have where I can A/B the 6061 and the 7075 aluminum.

As far as I know, ALL YYR’s are made of 7075. Someone please feel free to correct me on this. Just thought I’d throw this in here as a fun face for the OP. :slight_smile:

^ thats true

except that the stardust v1 and i think the original stargazer or something was 6061

I have done reviews on the entire GZR line from One Drop. If you are unfamiliar with it, the GZR line takes an existing design that was machined with 6065 and instead machined with 7075. Nothing else about the design is changed except for the aluminum used. What I found was that sometimes the added weight enhanced the play and other times I preferred the original weight more.

I have also played the first and second run General Yo Majesty. The first run was 7075 and the second run was 6061 but the the design was tweaked to make it feel EXACTLY like the denser first run so it showed that you can make the two alloys feel identical on the string.

At this point I don’t see a huge difference but I am sure that others will say the opposite.

So it turns out I have tried 3 or 4 7075s then, haha. Thanks guys, ill start looking for 6061s since there much cheaper.

Ain’t nothing wrong with 6061 yoyos. If you’re enjoying it, who cares what metal it is. I base my decision on factors other than the metal. I will say that “yup, 7075 is gonna cost more”.

I’ve got a bunch of 7075’s. But I can only A/B compare 3 since I have them in both versions. I like how they play, and that’s all that matters. I do think the 6061 has a softer feel. Not soft like “can dent or scatch”, but more of a “doesn’t feel quite so hard” feeling.

The funniest thing about the alloy debate is that people love tout the durability of 7075. Funny thing is that since 7075 is denser than 6061 the oxide layer built up during anodizing does not adhere to the metal quite as well. This means that it is easier to “damage” the yoyo by scraping it off.

Actually, the funniest thing about this “debate” is your relentless campaign to disparage the use of 7075 in yo-yo’s. By any measure, the sheer number of 7075 yo-yo’s now on the market make that “debate” moot. From your days mocking those that use 7075 on the OneDrop forum, to your pathetic attempt to discredit 7075 in you “review” of the GZR line. You have steadfastly stood against the industry winds claiming that there is no difference and insisting others believe the same; even as countless manufacturers bring 7075 throws to market. If there is no difference then why is it used so much? Do you think it some sort of placebo? Why are countless yo-yo’s made from 7075? Oh yeah, because there is no difference.

From a trusted Japanese retail website:

“7075 aluminum has become popular for competition yo-yos, and many high-end Japanese throws are made from this material now.”

Oh yeah, that is because there is no difference.

Slow your roll there troll boy. I didn’t mock any of your precious brands or disparage your precious alloy. You are still justifying the much more expensive Japanese yo-yos. I never said 7075 doesn’t have its uses, it does. All Side Effects are made from 7075 which makes sense because the hub takes a lot of strain and 7075 is tough.

For those unfamiliar with Geezer’s rantings, he had a heated argument with several members of the One Drop forums, including the owners of the company and myself, over 7075 aluminum. It all started with a post by someone else who damaged his OD yoyo on a shirt button and ended when Geezer insulted the company owners by calling them inexperienced machinists who couldn’t properly machine the denser alloy not knowing that they had been doing so for quite some time since all the Side Effects are 7075 as stated above.

And now back to Geezer, it is nice to see you come out from under your bridge for this one. Is it possible to make a 7075 yoyo that can’t be replicated in 6061? Sure, anything is possible. At this time there is one manufacturer that has proven you can take a 7075 design, tweak it slightly and make it play identical using 6061 aluminum. So Geezer, I will ask, are you saying that Ernie from General Yo is a inexperienced with 7075 aluminum and doesn’t know how to make a good yoyo? Now the question begs to be asked, if those yo-yos can be made in 6061, play the same, and save the $30 to $40 price increase then why not use 6061. Also, it has been shown that 7075 is not indestructible. If it were then you would not need this YYR warning posted on a prominent Japanese store site:

And, for what its worth… if I am going to spend that much money on a YYR I want “smooth and Elegant” play, but that is just me.

1 Like

If there was no difference, then why does it end up costing more?

Really, since it is denser as a grade of aluminum, it gives designers perhaps a bit more freedom in how to distribute weight. If there wasn’t some technical advantage to the designer for using 7075 as the material, then the odds would be that they’d just go with 6061 aluminum instead to save cost. That doesn’t mean one is superior than the other though. It just means that with two different grades of metal, one may present a situation that may be better suited for the design from an engineering perspective.

But, the bottom line is that some companies choose to use it, others do not. My bottom line is: Do I enjoy this yoyo? If the answer is “yes”, I could care less what it is made from.

I can have fun with a plastic yoyo or a metal yoyo, or a yoyo made with both.

1 Like

While I do agree with what you are saying in principle, I believe that that warning is mostly as an insurance policy after a slightly bad batch.

I think the disclaimer verbage is just standard CYA boilerplate. Nothing to be taken seriously.

Keep in mind, modern yoyos MUST come apart for bearing maintenance and response pad changes.

I’ve heard that as well. I think it was more a problem with their early runs. There are people with yyrs that unscrew that fairly often and have no problems with vibe.