Chat GPT settled the debate over 6061 vs 7075. 🤯

I asked the AI program ChatGPT:

“Is 7075 better material than 6061 for a yoyo?”

Here is what it spit out:

Both 7075 and 6061 aluminum alloys are commonly used for yoyo material, and which one is better depends on the specific requirements and preferences of the yoyo player.

7075 aluminum alloy is generally considered to be stronger and more durable than 6061. It has a higher tensile strength and yield strength, and is more resistant to fatigue and wear. As a result, yoyos made from 7075 tend to be more stable, long-lasting, and able to handle more abuse than those made from 6061.

On the other hand, 6061 aluminum alloy is more easily machinable, which means it can be manufactured at a lower cost than 7075. It is also lighter than 7075, which can make yoyos made from 6061 feel more nimble and agile.

Ultimately, the choice between 7075 and 6061 comes down to personal preference and the specific needs of the yoyo player. Some players may prefer the added durability and stability of 7075, while others may prioritize the lighter weight and lower cost of 6061.

21 Likes

Give me that float on the low low

1 Like

This was incredible lol

i cant wait for this topic to be brought up again in 3 weeks, and ultimately result in the same outcome. love this forum so much

3 Likes

Hard to argue with that answer. I would agree it really does come down to preference.

3 Likes

Depends on the throw :person_shrugging:

1 Like

While 7075 is denser, it’s also stronger. Because of this, yoyos designed for 7075 aren’t necessarily heavier.

2 Likes

Bah! Get off the fence, Chat GPT. Pick a side!

1 Like

Neutral response ftw. Can’t be wrong if you shift the question to somebody else

1 Like

Here’s where the real power of chatgpt lies!!!

“Now explain it as if you were dr Seuss”

“Oh, 6061 and 7075,
Which one should you pick for your yo-yo dive?
Let me tell you, dear friend,
The differences between the two, from beginning to end.

6061 is lightweight, oh so true,
With complex shapes, it’s easy to do.
It won’t cost much, and that’s a plus,
Making yo-yos affordable for all of us.

7075 is strong, oh my,
It can take wear and tear and never die.
Yo-yos made with it will last and last,
But they may be heavier, so spin time might not be as vast.

So, which one to choose? That’s up to you,
Think of your playstyle, and you’ll know what to do.
For light and fancy, 6061’s your call,
For durability and strength, 7075 stands tall.

Now, go pick your metal, and yo-yo away,
Having fun, whether at work or at play”

8 Likes

I don’t think so.

3 Likes

Both of those are yesterday’s news
Only 7068 will not give you the blues!

6 Likes

Yeah not mentioned here is that 7068 has the benefit of taking ano better while maintaining much of the increased durability/hardness properties of 7075.

Also of note is that material alone is somewhat meaningless without design. A design made in 6061 that was just made again in AL7 with no changes to design might play worse! Typically you also maximize the design elements to fit the material (like thinner walls).

Very cool that the AI basically gave a really educated answer though!

8 Likes

I was hoping Chat GPT would’ve responded:

“Neither 7075 or 6061! 7068 is the best. Titanium is over rated and don’t get me started on magnesium.”

2 Likes

Do not question the AI Glen!

2 Likes

Oh its an AI… lol. Didn’t realise that.

The real power lies in the question:

“Write a love letter to my wife. “

The response will allow for the purchasing of many yo-yos. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Interesting how ChatGPT has ignored the fact that 7075 has slightly more density than 6061. That is the real difference when designing. That may be where the stability comment comes from.

1 Like

Facts! I had it write my wife a poem when she was mad and it changed her mood :sweat_smile:… crazy times

1 Like

ChatGPT only ignores things that are newer than mid 2021. The density difference must be a recent development because we all know the AI can’t be wrong…

1 Like

Drat! You are totally right.

1 Like