7075 vs 6061

Generally speaking, which do you prefer on the same yoyo? I guess 6061 aluminum both feels and is softer, though I have never compared two same designs with different materials.

We just recently used some 7075. I think I prefer the 7075. But it might just be specifically on the albatross.

I’m not sure if I prefer it overall.

Whichever suits the particular model better. Some work better in 6061, some work better in 7075.

Yuki

1 Like

doesn’t matter to me, both are strong enough to take the abuse.

In the same way as titanium is stronger and gives more possibilities than 7075-alu does, 7075 is somewhat stronger than 6061 and gives more possibilities design-wise.
And as long as you dont throw over metal/stone/concrete, you wont be able to ding it.

It will come as no surprise to most that I prefer 7075. To me, it is like steroids for yo-yos. The increased density adds momentum to the spin that means it dies on the string far less. I also find that the increased weight adds to speed and agility.

Just like steroids in humans, however, 7075 will not make a race-horse out of a Donkey. Without a great design to start with, the alloy moot.

I also agree with the statement that some designs are better suited to 6061. The CLYW Avalanche comes to mind (the old one, I do not have the new one) . That yoyo has a powerful spin and solid weight that would probably not be enhanced by the feel of 7075.

1 Like