difference in 6065 and 7075 yoyo

what is the difference in these types of aluminum does it change playability?

LOTS of threads on this.

7075 is technically a harder alloy than 6061. The makeup is different; they have different elements added to the aluminum, but the numbers on alloy-series for Aluminum indicate the hardness of the alloy.

7075 is harder than 6061. This is why people say it is more durable. Sometimes 7075 is called “Military grade” because it is specified in many military applications due to its hardness and resistance to heat.

7075 is the alloy used almost exclusively by Yoyorecreation. Their designs, manufacturing and exquisite performance originally brought 7075 to the attention of the yo-yo community. While others had utilized 7075 before, it was Yoyorecreation that used it to its fullest potential. Their single-metal yo-yo’s are the standard by which I judge all other single-metal designs.

7075 is more dense than 6061. The difference is not huge, but he slight increase does amount to increased rotational momentum relative to 6061; if the design is the same.

6061 takes anodizing much better than 7075. That is a major factor as to why 6061 is preferred by manufacturers. Anodizing 7075 is a bit of an art, and that art sometimes has its flaws. Less rejects means a lower price to consumers and more profit to the manufacturer. That is why most yo-yo’s are 6061.

7075 is not inherently “better” than 6061. Adjustments can be made to the design of a 6061 yo-yo to make it have the characteristics of 7075 yo-yo in terms of performance The CLYW Avalanche comes to mind. While made of 6061; that yo-yo has power and stability to rival any 7075 throw I know of. As many have rightly pointed out, the design is much more important than the alloy.

6 Likes

^^

Its doesn’t dings easily. I got my cyborg 2.0 and its got some beating but its still smooth.

While an 6061 would have been vibey with those kinds of dings.

You can have thinner walls an more rim weight using 7075.

Mostly most 7075 yoyos have that heft to them. Besides turntable.

But mostly my favorite yoyos are 7075.

Weekend.

Cyborg 2.0

Valor.

Gelada 2.1 al5 which is not hefty that’s why its unique.

And more.

You know, I clicked on this thread ready to read a rambling load of…stuff… and was debating if I’d bother to jump in to dispel the hype and myths surrounding this question…

Then I read the very first reply and it was shockingly coherent, accurate, and fair.

Well done YoyoGeezer.

Kyle

1 Like

wait what kyle?

YoyoGeezer’s post was the perfect explanation.

1 Like