7075?

Why are yoyos made of 7075 so desirable? I know its a higher quality aluminum but does it make the yoyo play/feel different? I saw a picture paul dang put of instagram of 7075 cascades. I might get one when im birthday comes around, if its worth it seeing i already own a cascade

I never played a 7075, only a 6061. Just to add a question to ur topic, if it doesn’t say 7075 or 6061, then what is it really?

7075 is stronger, so you can push more weight on smaller walls and change around how a yoyos plays.

hmm allright. does that mean the cascades are gonna play differently?

depends what you mean by “desirable”

in all honesty its not the fact they are desirable
they just change the feeling of yoyos

6061 has a (using the term loosely) “softer” feel, and
7075 is just cold and hard.

7075 is denser so giving that “harder” feel, but because of that can build momentum better

in my most honest OPINION(so please dont bash me for stating this)

7075 makes yoyos seem more solid
where as 6061 adds a bit more float
(again using terms loosely)

so comparing say the code 2 with its GZR counter part
its harder hitting and heavier

and like the Super G its the same deal
[/quote]
Gentry Says: The 7075 Super G is more hard hitting then the Original. When it lands not he string it hits, you can feel it. You know it’s happening.
[/quote]

1 Like

It has it’s pluses and minuses like any other alloy. 7075 is stronger so you can make side walls a little thinner… not titanium crazy thin, but thinner none the less. It is also heavier so if you have two yoyos, like a 7075 GZR vs. 6061 regular 54, the 7075 version will be about 2 grams heavier.

The two biggest downsides to 7075 over 6061 is that 7075 is more expensive and harder to anodize. If you again take the GZR line from One Drop for example, the 7075 GZR version of the yo-yo is about $30 more expensive than the 6061 counterpart. The ano finish is also not as durable on 7075 as opposed to 6061. It can actually show dings a little because the ano on 7075 can come off easier.

Overall it is a trade off in materials just like anything else. Some feel that it makes the yo-yo play differently and better. Others think it is better because quite a few Japanese companies use it and their yo-yos are quite a bit more expensive in the US, this follows the theory that higher price equals higher quality manufacturing. Overall, I subscribe to the fact that it has less to do with the material and more to do with the manufacturer. If you have never liked a 6061 yoyo from “company x” then you probably will not like a 7075 yoyo from them either. On the flip side, if you love every yoyo made by “company y” then you will most likely love their 7075 offerings as well.

3 Likes

The GZR line takes the same machine files used in the original to create the 7075 GZR version. Since there are no major changes to the design the yoyos will play extremely similar. The post by aznnboyaZ is pretty accurate. The GZR Cascade is going to play heavier by about 2 grams or so. It will hit harder on the string and feel a little more “solid” during play. The David and Shawn over at one drop have said the GZR versions play “ballsier”. I have no idea how to quantify that but it is pretty accurate.  :smiley:

You might check this out, I wrote up a review of the GZR line for High Speed Yoyo, it goes into detail about the differences in the various One Drop models that are now 7075 vs. their 6061 counterparts.
http://www.highspeedyoyo.com/reviews/n-z/one-drop-yoyos/one-drop-gzr-line

Could you post a link to the 7075 Cascade Paul posted?

1 Like

instagram is only on a phone and i dont know how to find a link to the picture. ill try though. but thank you for the help!

Wasn’t the GZR line designed because someone said One Drop’s 6061 Code 2 (or it might have been a different yoyo. I don’t remember.) dinged too easily? Then OD made a yoyo out of 7075 so that it would be stronger.

So I guess they are more durable.

Correct me if I’m wrong.

You are partially correct. Someone did say that the 6061 aluminum dinged too easily. There was a huge kerfuffle over it because the yo-yo had hit a plastic shirt button. It was all blamed on the metal used without any explanation of how hard it had hit the button, what angle the edge was at, or anything else. This all devolved into an argument over whether or not One Drop was competent enough to machine 7075 an that the Japanese obviously were better because they could. (I kid you not this was all part of the argument.) In the end, as a way of showing that the alloy has little to do with it the One Drop team made a few of their models in 7075 without making a single change to the design itself. The end result was a yo-yo that played ballsier than the 6061 version. both the 7075 and the 6061 played brilliantly it is just up to the personal preference of the throwers. I found that if I swapped around different Side Effects then I could get incredible levels of play out of both the regular and the GZR versions.

On a side note, in the whole button situation the GZR version could have ended up showing MORE damage than the 6061 version. As I said above the alloy is stronger but the oxide layer of the ano does not adhere as well. The 7075 version would have more oxide layer come off showing more raw metal underneath. Where 7075 shine is that it is more resistant to deformations in the metal. What this amounts to is the following situation:

A 7075 and a 6061 hit the same object at the same angle and with the same force:

7075 - no dent in the yo-yo but some of the finish rubs off exposing the raw aluminum underneath.
6061 - there is a dent in the metal but the finish stays one leaving a mark but ano finish is intact.

In the end it all boils down to this. If both yo-yos ended up with a 1mm bit of damage which would you rather have, a ding that you can feel a little bit or see a little bit.

1 Like