Al 6061 or 7075?

So I am currently designing a yoyo but I am stuck between 6061 or 7075? For 6061 it weights around 63 grams without the bearing and 7075 weights 66 grams without the bearing. Also which is better for grinds, fingerspins, vibe, and overall feels?

1 Like

7068 ftw!!!

3 Likes

My favorite is 6061, because it still feels and plays great, and it isn’t a very big hit to your wallet!

1 Like

If you don’t know how to use 7075, stick with 6061. The 7075 option can actually be lighter than 6061 If designed proper.

1 Like

True, but what about cough Titanium cough :wink:. Dang I must be getting sick

7075 has a slightly higher density but much better strength. It is also tougher to anodize and dye. The type of aluminum doesn’t have a very large effect on the other parts of the surface treatment like bead blast, etc, so it won’t affect grinds or fingerspins. The material doesn’t affect vibe as long as you aren’t making it thinner than the material allows in places where it matters.

You should choose a material that works well with your design - if you don’t need super thin walls you don’t really need to go beyond 6061 material-wise, and there are plenty of amazing yoyos that make good use of 6061.

66g without bearing/axle/pads seems a bit high to me, personally. That’d put it around 69.5g assembled. If you do go with 7075 you should adjust the design to compensate for this.

2 Likes