62 out of 100 strings in 3 months

100 pack of AMMO didn’t last me a month. It just soooo good! And I love fresh color. Keep in mind that I used a lot to make a video, which sadly never got published because my dad wiped it off my computer :/. I still have a few left but I’m saving them for competing in next years BAC.

A lot of people who change strings every few hours are the same people who say “all you need is bulk poly”. Not necessarily the peeps in this thread, but I’ve noticed this over time. Just sayin’.

Bulk poly, I change regularly. And I’m not saying that’s a bad thing. It feels good, it makes the string perform well, and there’s something satisfying about it.

Many so-called “boutique” strings don’t have any “bounce” to recover, even in the early stages. They play the same when they are fresh as they do after a few hours. And they don’t get fuzzy/full of tension very quickly. Now, I have really dry hands, and they’re pretty darned clean all the time (some people with kids might have dirtier hands… me, I find cleaning up after the kids and changing diapers makes me wash my hands a LOT)… so my strings aren’t accumulating TOO much gunk from my hands (a little is inevitable, even just at a microscopic tissue level).

SO, with a great many of the strings I favour, I change them out when I get bored of them on that yoyo rather than when they’re worn out. “Ehhh… been playing this rough-feeling Type 3 for a few weeks now… I think I want something soft on my Revenger for a change.” And when this happens, I don’t bother transferring the string to another yoyo, I’m just done with it. Even boutique string isn’t THAT expensive.

No real conclusion here other than just saying that the type of string is a major determining factor on frequency of changes. And bulk poly (including Kitty) needs changing quite frequently.

2 Likes

EXACTLY! THANK YOU! YOU JUST HIT THE SPOT, EVERYTHING YOU SAID WAS 100% TRUE!

YYE strings tend to fray, twist and bunch on me after 20-35 minutes (Depending on what I’m doing). Since worlds I’ve probably used 40 strings.

When I was throwing quite a bit more than I am now, I was going through 100 packs in 1-2 weeks.

I’m sorry, but that is a little too general. It is not necessarily true; although, it may be for some(and is probably more likely to be the case among bulk poly users due to the fact that it usually doesn’t hold up as well as boutique string can). However, maybe a better way to say it would be, "Some of the people who change strings every few ours also believe that “all you need is bulk poly.”; and, another thing to say would be that some do not and vise versa. I would agree that boutique string can outlast bulk poly; but it is not necessarily better, and does not necessarily need to be changed every few hours. A LOT of pros use bulk poly; and, even if it doesn’t last as long as some boutique strings, it will get the job done. It really just comes down to preference in that respect. Just like most things in yoyo. I’m not saying that you are saying anything negative against bulk poly or people who prefer to mainly use bulk poly, just that people who prefer to use bulk poly should not necessarily be grouped into that category, or possibly others.

Congrats on forum eXpert, Greg.

So…bulk string. I’m a user. I started off with the YYE stuff, hated it. Moved to the “boutique” stuff, and it lasted a nice long time. Disliked it. Moved to bulk Kitty, LOVE it. That said…have to change about every 45 minutes. Recently working on a 100 pack of 1.5. It’s ok, but I’m not fond of the color, and while it lasts a touch longer, I still prefer the Fat.

That said…why so harsh on GregP? He didn’t dis bulk. He just kinda said the exact same thing I did above, but in reverse.

Be kind. Greg is a gentle soul. Homba, your sign off comes across harshly. Perhaps you didn’t intend that?

-bpg

I didn’t mean for that to be harsh at all. I meant it genuinely. I do see now how it could come off that way. If I offended, I apologize.

What’s funny is that, to me, it seemed that he did dis bulk a bit, or people that prefer to use it.

It’s ridiculous how your words can get twisted on the internet when you are just typing them out and there is no face or voice behind it.

That is the reason I haven’t been around lately; and, the reason I * won’t may not, but probably will, be back. ;D

Greg IS a gentle soul; and, he absolutely deserves forum eXpert and all the kindness in the world.

edit: * :wink:

So bulk kitty poly doesn’t last as long as what y’all are referring to as “boutique” strings? Excuse my noobness as that is the string I was referred to by quite a few people and bought 100 pack of normal orange, some candy wires, some toxic, and some YYE. I really do like the feel of a new kitty poly and find myself changing them every 15 minutes or so of hard throwing. I haven’t thrown any of the others I ordered except the toxics and didnt like them (which I believe is because I have yet to play a toxic long enough to break one in). Maybe I need to start really throwing the boutiques just to see if like them well enough to avoid changing kitties so frequently. A NEW kitty string just feels so good though lol.

Jeepers. I don’t know what’s going down here. I have a bunch of bulk poly. YYE stuff, 2 types of Kitty, and want some of that 1.5 (but I wish I could get a 50-pack instead of 100). Not dissing it at all. I find YYE and normal Kitty work particularly well for suicides and big open slacks.

If anything, it was a mild reaction to the bulk poly purists who have called those of us who buy some premium strings “sheep” or “idiots wasting their money”. I’m no hipster-- I like bulk AND premium strings! Lots of love here.

Lots of love for you, too, homba! Sure don’t want to see you go. Glad to see you didn’t mean that last line harshly, because for a moment there I was an injured puppy. :wink: Let’s all agree that forums don’t present the best methods for communication and not take everything so seriously (me, too)!

Midlifeyoyoman: nothin’ like a fresh Kitty string. :wink: I really do think people can benefit from trying a bunch of different stuff, and if they land back at bulk poly, it’s just that it turned out to be their preference.

The month before a contest I can burn through a 100 pack of poly in a week. Nylon lasts me a bit longer though.

Its kind of funny how half of you answered that I’m using too fast and half of you are saying im going slow.

I keep strings on for a while. I maybe put on a new string once every 2-3 weeks ( on a throw i play daily)… I love nice broken in fuzzy soft caterpillar super loved and played strings :slight_smile: plus it saves $…

Since they cancel out, doesn’t that mean you are using them just right?

Hahaha i guess!

I enjoy trying different strings

Many different “Small Brand” strings last much, much longer than a regular poly, too.

How long did that last pack I sent ya last?

Dont know how you made it last that long. I go through 40-50 a month.

I usually go through a 100 pack in about 3.5 months. It differs for sure, but I’d say my average is 100 strings in 3 and a half months. I usually go through one or two strings a day.