How long do strings last you?

I went through 3 Kitty Fats today. That sounds wrong. How long do strings last you on average, what string do you use, and am I missing something?

8 Likes

how long have you been yoyoing? usually if your new to yoyos, you go through string crazy fast. it’ll get better though.

2 Likes

It depends on how much a throw (Literally) shreds a string, what kind of string you’re using, and if you use gloves.
Gloves prevent oils from your hand gunking up the string, but that can be resolved with washing the strings.
Also the markmont brand strings should last around 7 months to a year per string depending on which kind you get. Though I also remember an retired yoyoer (Miguel Correa) said that he would go through a string after one go of his routine so he would go through lots of strings in competition. I think Kitty Strings should last for around a day to a few months if your YoYo doesn’t shred through it.
That being said, I think some yo-yos unfortunately grind the string a lot to the point where they wear out the YoYo a lot. There was one incident where John Ando was doing a horizontal speed combo and his YoYo broke off of the string. :laughing:

1 Like

For me, Kitty string fat last 30min to 1hr depends on tricks.

4 Likes

For me, the CLYW Bonfire is ripping through the string like it’s cotton candy but when I used the YYF Marco it was like it didn’t wear the string at all.

Lastly I forgot to mention that the change in string tension can effect the longevity of the string. So like one of the comments before having experience is important.

2 Likes

It’s been two years now. I wouldn’t say I’m good but I yoyo a LOT

4 Likes

well, that’s probably why.

2 Likes

Kitty thin about 24 hours of play or little less or a little more. Hooks work better on a dying string.

My current theory is there’s better strings out there than kitty… I just don’t know what they are and where to buy them so I stick with kitty. The generation of pros just had it as their go to string when they were learning

3 Likes

Two or three days.

2 Likes

Can’t go wrong with kitty.

2 Likes

I feel like kitty has two playable stages after which it needs a change

3 Likes

I use generic, no-name string and it lasts 3-4 weeks with regular daily play.

5 Likes

I have gone through t one day, bulk string is not made to last long that’s why its so cheap. boutique string (zip-lines, airetics, lifeline, 2ndarystrings, Etc…) are made to last 2 to 4 weeks long as long as you wash them. even if these string Frey up they still are good, I have a string that is about 5 weeks old (one of mine) I have washed it about 2 to 3 times and its still good through its freyed pretty bad but I don’t change my strings intel they stop holding there tension

4 Likes

If it helps at all, I’m using a Hummingbird

2 Likes

what yoyo you use does not matter (unless the string is breaking)

2 Likes

I’ve got at least 50 hours on the Kitty Fat currently on my Replay. I’m seeing how long I can use it before it breaks, and it looks like it’s got a long way to go. I always roll strings up loose when I’m done practicing, I’ve been told that makes them last longer.

1 Like

By “generic, no-name string” I am implying “bulk”. That’s all I ever buy. I bought a bunch awhile back and it’s served me well. Maybe the quality has gone down recently, I don’t know…

2 Likes

I usually use my kitty fat for 1-2 months with no problems. Really depends on your tolerance for frayed strings

1 Like

Markmont strings are my favorite strings currently and it last a really long time and you can get a long string option so if the stock string is to short then that should not be a problem also there is a sample pack on his website if you want to try all of them out.

1 Like

If it’s not a bother, I’d love to see some pics of what a string that needs to be changed looks like. I’m still trying to figure out what a worn out modern string looks like. As a cheapskate, if I can get more play time out of my strings, I’d like to.

2 Likes