4️⃣🅰️ Everyday — (former 4️⃣🅰️ Offtober 2023)

Why whole offstring collection in one hand

5 Likes

Next task is to get them all going on one string. :rofl:

3 Likes

My whole offstring collection in one hand

Getting all of mine going on one string is a real struggle for me

5 Likes
4 Likes

Holy cow dude!!! I was thinking how smooth your tricks were and then all of the sudden you are throwing a Flea!! That is so impressive!!! Wow!! Just WOW!!

2 Likes

Yo you’re killing it @Bendy! Loved the flea leg orbit and the Ian Johnson grind!

2 Likes

haha thanks! never concentrated so much on catching a yoyo but didnt actually take me too long.

1 Like

COUNTING IT

5 Likes

episode 5 of my learning soloham grind

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5SHik3R3kL/

can’t post on discord anymore cause no nitro so we got the direct sauce. I got wayyyy better with my ryhthm after this too so hopefully that stays good. Im still too panicky with the rolls here.

Gonna work on my throws and dismount next

2 Likes

Thank you for posting all these vids, it gives me hope. That’s funny about playing over grass, I juggle, throw tops, I have never had to walk as far to retrieve a prop as I have this week trying to learn 4A! It seems hard to imagine getting that much control to play inside, I can’t even throw near the edges of the park, I need like a landing strip of grass in front and behind.
Your progress is impressive.

3 Likes

Yo welcome to the 4a thread @kevinm ! Glad you’re joining in on the offstring goodness! It definitely is a lot of chasing down the yoyo but throwing inside is honestly not as bad as you might think as long as you put up padding and/or cardboard to protect the baseboards and walls (probably should have done that sooner but better late than never).

Haven’t posted here in a while but I’ve been posting regularly on Instagram (Daniel Garrett (@dan_dan_the_yoyo_man) • Instagram photos and videos) and YouTube (https://youtube.com/@dg_throws_and_tunes?si=kigOKGsL5tleR_4T) and here are a few vids from the last few weeks!

5/23/2024 Late night ring combo

4a leg combo

Riverwalk 4a!

Finally getting soloham!

Late night arm combo ideas

5 Likes

A few days of practice and my non-throw hand hurts, I keep hitting my face, my right shoulder is sore. This is great. There are a lot of similar element to throwing tops involved here, of course the tops don’t smash your face as often, but they will go after your feet.
I think my YYF Flight is a little grabby, I have a Sky Dancer on the way from the YYF sale, I have read they are a bit easier on the knuckles. I am trying to keep from jumping into a higher end model until I have practiced enough to figure out what I might prefer.
Yo-yoing was getting a bit of a slump for me and I have been juggling and throwing tops a bunch more lately, this has been a real eye opener just trying to learn the ropes with 4A.

4 Likes

Any pointers on this release? I can boomerang a top, but I am having trouble feeling the spot to pull back with the yo-yo.

1 Like

Oof I’m sorry it’s been rough on the body! 4a can be pretty demanding and I’ve had my fair share of being sore in the neck, shoulders, hips, knees, everything lol. One thing that helps with the soreness is to warm up your body before hand. Maybe do some arm rotations, some yoga, squats, etc. but something to get your muscles warm can help. As for the yoyo hitting you that’s rough but comes with time and practice to figure out how to get it not to snag. 4a throws are often very responsive so it can be really easy to get snags. You’ll figure it out as you experiment with the string length, thickness, and how much string you throw in the gap when you bind. I’m glad this has been helpful for getting a new perspective on yoyoing and I hope you’re enjoying the process! It can be a grind but it’s honestly a really fun style. Good on you for waiting a bit until you’ve developed a foundation before getting other yoyos, I did the same thing and that was very helpful.

As for the release I think you mean the one where you throw it down and then yank it up and the end and it flies up but still off the string? The timing on that on is pretty finicky and I’m still figuring it out, but it’s right at the end of the string when you pull up. Not sure if there’s a specific length but maybe a couple inches before fully unwinding. You do have to yank it up pretty hard to get any amount of air time with it, but be careful because if you pull up too early it won’t unwind and may come back to your hand really fast. I try to practice this one a bit slower and deliberately since I don’t want to hit myself on it. @Bendy or @eap314 any additional tips on that? I’m still pretty new to figuring it out honestly.

2 Likes

I was refering to what you describe as a one arm release element in the vid you posted, it’s from a fwd throw.

2 Likes

Oh gotcha my bad! That one I also try and throw a bit softer and pull back a bit at the end so it doesn’t go forward. There’s probably a way to do it with a stronger throw and pulling back similar to the down throw or maybe throwing it higher but that’s usually what I do. I find that the slower throw is a bit easier to control when it comes off the string without the other hand to intercept it, but with the tradeoff of the yoyo spinning a lot slower. Hope something in there is helpful! I’m also happy to experiment with it and put together a vid with some commentary on it if that would be helpful!

3 Likes

What you’re referring to is the forward throw, aka topspin. Doing this requires smoothness, no sudden accelerations. You have to pick up a certain amount of speed to get the yoyo to pop upwards, and then you have a forward-spinning yoyo. The yyt app can help you.

3 Likes

If you’re referring to a one-handed throw, I still have difficulty with that, but I’ve learned thru soloham to throw slightly down and pull back, this gives you a lot of spin. Of course, without the other string you would rather use the upwards momentum of throwing forwards. You need to accelerate smoothly the same way you would for a forward-mount throw. No sudden movements.

3 Likes

Great tips for both types of throws, thank you!

1 Like

What is the secret to getting a fast spin with a fwd pass? When I try to throw harder I often get a snag and it is smacking my non throw hand pretty bad.

2 Likes