4️⃣🅰️ Everyday — (former 4️⃣🅰️ Offtober 2023)

Great question! Interesting that it’s snagging as you’re throwing harder, do you pull back near the end of your throw? I wonder if you may be pulling it back unintentionally before it fully unwinds. Either way throwing harder will help some, but I’ve found that when you intercept the yoyo with your nonthrowhand, if you pull the string down with your nonthrowhand with more power as the yoyo is unwinding you can get more spin without sending the yoyo super high. I’m still working on this tbh and would love to hear other people’s thoughts but that’s something that helps me at least

3 Likes

Not to get too far in the weeds, but as I am out here in the weeds…when you talk about pulling back, you mean my release with my throw hand, correct? Because what would be the difference between that, and pulling down with the nth to get more spin?
I have to experiment with the throw, I am wondering if I am holding my nth too high.
Thanks for the input, I want to figure this out.

2 Likes

Absolutely, get out in the weeds so that we can help you learn! Asking questions is the best way to get to the answer you’re looking for :slight_smile:

Yes, you don’t want to do this, or to stop the momentum too soon with the throwhand as this can cause it to wind back up before it’s fully left the string.

I probably could have worded this better in the original response, but the difference is that when you intercept the string with your nonthrowhand, you push the string down to force the string to unwind faster. I just filmed a video going through some tips and tricks on improving your offstring forward pass. Once I get that up I’ll share it here and hopefully the visuals along with the explanation in real time will help! I may not be able to finish it today but in the mean time I hope these explanations help :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

So far so good. I managed to get deep in the ivy and also improved the percentage of clean throws. I believe I was pulling back on the release because I was not getting my hands close enough together or high enough. Now I can get more speed on the throw, and I think I understand pulling down, because the yo-yo was going too high, and I am starting to get a feel for dropping that too.
Thank you very much for the tips. This is going to be a long learning process for me, it reminds me a lot of learning to throw tops. It will take a lot of throws.

3 Likes

That’s awesome, I’m glad it helped and that your throws are getting more accurate and more spin! It definitely takes some practice and experimentation but I’m proud of you for sticking with it and I’m excited to see your progress!

I likely won’t have time to edit the video today so I posted the uncut version unlisted with the link and will eventually post the edited version but I hope this helps as well! Thank you for sharing your journey and asking questions!

4 Likes

Oh man, that follow through. That explains so much. When you show the throw without follow through, that looks like what I was doing. I was experimenting with the breakaway throw and I seldom had a problem, but that forces me to do a smooth throw with a pull back that creates that arc.
Thank you for that detailed breakdown, I will work on this.

3 Likes

Not a problem, I’m so glad that was helpful! The follow through was an epiphany I had while trying to explain how I do the harder throw while also realizing why my second throw for soloham kept failing. I kept thinking at first it was just because I wasn’t throwing hard enough :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Aim down

2 Likes

some time in the near future i’ll upload a ■■■■ tonne of single element tutorials to yt lol

3 Likes

I’m pumped for those! The tutorial for the quick restart was a great addition to the one Sean posted, and both helped a lot in finally figuring it out. Can’t wait to see what you’ve got planned!

1 Like

My finger feels like yours looks, no blood yet, but that may be due to my lack of blood pressure… Gotta figure out some of my technique issues before I destroy my nth.

2 Likes

Step 1, tape.

Step2, glove.

Step 3, practice.
Been experimenting with the throw, it’s remarkable how much variation is possible, it really is similar to spin tops in that way.

1 Like

Great ideas! I’ve noticed the glove helps more than I expected for a lot of reasons:

• Relieving pressure on the slip knot
  • Less friction on the string
  • String stays cleaner
  • Way better grinds
  • Less snags and the snags don’t hurt as bad when the yoyo hits your hand

I will say I am more prone to dropping the yoyo because the lack of friction makes it hard to grip the string so it slips out of my hand. To combat this, some people in the Throwers discord suggested to cut the thumb off the glove so your thumb is exposed to better hold the string in different mounts. Glad the gloves and tape are helping and I agree, there’s a ton of room for variation in the throw! Happy throwing!

3 Likes

That makes sense. So far I only use a glove on my left hand, and I don’t really like it, but it makes my throw better because I relax more knowing my hand is a bit protected.
Hey good luck at Nationals.

4 Likes

Yeah it definitely takes some getting used to. I’m glad it helps and that you feel less apprehensive about the throw with the added padding! I don’t love it either but I would rather put up with that than the alternative of more snags, more friction, and gunked up string because Texas summers :hot_face:

Thanks man I appreciate it! Looking forward to it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Tape upgrade, glove upgrade, throw upgrade. I liked the pink, but
I couldn’t turn down the pre-grass stained edges.
Less painful now, only occasionally snag. This is going
to take a lot of practice.

4 Likes

Let’s go! Great upgrades! The UNLiMiTED is an awesome throw and I’m glad you’ve been enjoying it! It definitely takes practice but you’ve got this!

3 Likes

4A tricks are a lot like spin top tricks , if any of you 4A people are doing a one hand throw and return, or open string binds, those elements are very similar to spin top boomerang and whip catches. The recaptures with 4A are like lasso catches with tops.
So if you ever get curious about tops and you are good at 4A, you already have a good skill set to start with.

4 Likes

The tops don’t bite as hard either… :smiley:

2 Likes

True, they can sure hurt your feet if you don’t wear shoes though.

4 Likes