2A Tuesdays ( a Looping Thread)

A little bit of my 2A practice today. Duncan Hornet and R2FG Ion Cannon, both with FS 85cm. Please feel free to give me some constructive criticism on keeping my loops straight.

7 Likes

Good to see some more 2A discussion on the threads. Got my Yomega Raiders back out, thick lubed and some fresh yellow Slick-6 at 76mm. When I switched over to wood in February my loops were drooping and I had to adjust my flick, now that I’m back on the bearings they are shooting high, so I’m going to just work on some vertical loop reps. My Raiders are cool because I actually picked these up at a real brick and mortar toy store, and when I broke one from over tightening I was able to go back and find another one there years later. These play and have a glassy feel compared to 720s, compared to the 720s these are not as snappy but they spin longer.

5 Likes

I would love to try some raiders but the response is my concern. I know the starburst is on the smaller side. Even with double blues on the 720s I struggle. I need at least one red spacer

1 Like

Yeah, in these Raiders I’m using double 720 red spacers. I run 1 red and 1 blue in the 720s.

2 Likes

I’ve been working my 2 handed 2A for a while now… still suck but i can get inside outside loops] and work in the occasional ATW… for 4 to 5 reps. Today I’m on stroller duty outside so i only have one hand. I actually haven’t practiced one handed loops in about a year… i can now hit 10 inside loops or outside in a row perfectly straight with both hands individually! Such a great feeling! Unfortunately if i alternate or try simultaneously it gets sloppy so not there yet!

5 Likes

Sorry for the day late! I changed over to some Kitty Normal and the thicker string has worked wonders for the Ion Cannon responsiveness. Initiator felt great right out of the box. The grind also continues on 2-handed loops.

5 Likes

Getting back to some reps , Raiders. Still looping up, probably cause the gap it just a little wider than good old 720s. Still fun to make adjustments and with the extra spin I’m experimenting with some wraps.

3 Likes

Still grinding on loops but also working on flips, Shoot The Moon, and clumsily remembering Hop the Fence.

4 Likes

@hobby_master asked about cutting the same length string everytime? For 2A I use a yard stick with a little jig and measure out to my desired length of around 76mm today. Today’s strings are some of the new First Class Kitty Regulars in white. Going to lace them up on some YYF 720s set up with one red and one blue spacer each.

5 Likes

Let us know how you like the First Class Kitty. I’ve been using their Normal, but I’m trying out different strings. I also want to try out their collaboration with Zipline.

1 Like

Throwing loops down 7th Ave, noticed a mini flower bed between the bike lane and the car lane. Happy Tuesday!

4 Likes

I have a couple thousand loops on them now and I can say that I like them. The First Class are not as springy or have as much rebound as the Kitty Loop Lites and are just a tad slicker and thinner than Classic Kitty Regulars, but still thicker and a lot softer than Classic Kitty Slims. I feel they have a lot of control especially when paired with the YYF 720s.

Today I warmed up with some reps, 100 Inside / Outside alternating loops. Then I did some 20-40-20s for a few cycles switching between Hop the Fence- Inside Loops - Outside Loops. Then I just did some jamm’n of Milk the Cows, Sword and Shields and dueling Warp Drives, remembering not to take it seriously. #2A4Fun

3 Likes

I have been trying to get a bit more 2A into my 2a… so I’ve been trying to go from ATW into loops, shoot the moon, and hops. I can get a bit of everything with my right. I think I’m going to give myself a black eye every time i shoot the moon with my left. This stuff is so challenging for my brain.

4 Likes

So is anyone here a 2A player as their primary style of play?

@Tricksyouforgot44 and @Luke_Renner stop by the YYEF every now and then and they were 2A National champs.

2 Likes

Thanks very much for the update. I just put on a pair of the ZipLine/SOCHI Alphaline so I’m going to spend a little time breaking those in.

Still working on cleaning up basic flips for speed and more consistency. Mostly just ducking, dodging, and trying to compensate for weak/sloppy throws.

5 Likes

It’s been mostly 2A for me the last couple months. I’ll throw 1A maybe once a week.

2 Likes

Working on my 2A regularly. Never enough time. But today i was trying to see how many consecutive loops i could get with both hands, and i can consistently get 8-10 inside loops with both hands at the same time. That was a very cool accomplishment for me.

A week later I’ll add my edit…
SHOOT THE MOON! Consecutive reps in both hands consistently! Not brave enough to try both hands at the same time yet.

4 Likes

I always have trouble hitting STM with loopers. Fixed axle and normal string length it’s no problem, but I can’t seem to get the rhythm down with shorter string on my loopers.

4 Likes

Three weeks in and I can throw single inside loops with relative consistency and often get somewhere between four and six before the inevitable spin out and ufo sting oscillation – terrible I know, but I’m pleased nonetheless (for ages I could only throw a loop as a fluke!).

My greatest difficulty is in tilting the yoyo to 1 o’clock. Whatever starting position I throw from always results in the yoyo rotating straight and it’s that, I think, which results in it spinning out of control after just a few loops.

Groan. Practise, practise and more practise!

Here’s what I’m throwing: alternating a Duncan hornet with the plastic spacers installed and my own home-turned oak looper with my own six-strand cotton string. When it begins to go badly wrong with one and I switch to the other rather than giving up.

5 Likes