2A Discussion Thread

Just don’t even think about it. If you have issues with patience, just don’t think about how long it takes for you to progress. Just do it. It’s one of those things that’ll hit suddenly.
Don’t tense your arms/shoulders; it should be relaxed.

Just for the sake of learning loops, keep your strings shorter than what Andre prefers in his tutorials. I prefer middle finger to the pointy part of your shoulder. That should give you better control for now.

Hey all, I’ve been doing 2A on and off for years. I’m not great, but can do double inside/outside loops, milk the cow, ride the horse, tangler, cross arm loops, shoot the moons, etc.

A few tips I can give:

I find looping with 31 inch string (from top of yoyo to knot) works best for me.

If you are entering sport ladder divisions, looping is what will get you the win. You should at least be able to do the first half of the looping list to give yourself a huge advantage.

Learning shoot the moon is easy, if you practice sitting down watching tv. I learned this trick real fast by practicing for a half hour a day watching my favorite program.

If you are having problems with a trick, try a Duncan Speed Beatle or Pulse’s (for those who like slightly heavier loopers). The speed beatle is one of the most stable loopers ever made. The break pads are a pain, which is why they’re not my main players, but the stability of them help with tricks that are giving me problems. Once you can do a trick with speed beatles, transferring the trick to other 2A yoyo’s is easier.

Ehhh em!!! Shu Takada??

I think Kuya meant guys that finish in the top 3 in the United States. I don’t think Shu competes in the U.S.

[b]
snip

yoyodoc, take your negativity elsewhere –mrcnja[/b]

1 Like

So Duncan is looking to sponsor 2a players.

Your sarcastic remarks about forum members are not needed here.

It’s OK. I’m planning on leaving permanently in a little while anyways.

I’m tired of all the negativity towards each other on YYE. Can’t we just bond over our common passion for yoyoing?
Anyways, I recently got back into 2A, after getting bored with 1A and 5A. (I still love 4A though)

I’m not insinuating negativity. I was planning on leaving here on a permanent basis for quite some time. Probably sometime after Worlds 2013 will be the last I’ll be seen here.

Okay, let’s get back to the topic.

In the US, thank you very much. Japanese 2A players are in a different league, it’s ridiculous. I see lots more people in Japan picking up 2A as their main style whereas in the rest of the world it’s almost in a flat line.

And it’s exactly why I’m practicing hella hard getting the hang of 2A because I want to revive and at least compete someday.

Duncan needing 2A players? I hope they do well on that, 'cause from what I’ve been hearing from my friends especially from Japan, the Hornet doesn’t sit well with their preferences. I think they said it’s too light or something. Still, it’s a new product and it has room for upgrades. I still wanna try it though…
I wish Duncan nothing but the best on finding great players to promote the Hornet.

After practicing my ambidextrous skills (writing, throwing a ball) I picked up on it very quickly

I started 2a a few months back on 2 unleasheds and two loop 1080 (still trying to figure out which one is better) I can understand how looping is not very popular in that it takes forever just to learn how to loop 1 handed and when you start 2 handed its crazy hard so theres no instant gratification. I think its more popular in asia because over there people work really hard to get there. Thats why asians always win the world contests.

I wasn’t talking about you necessarily, but I just meant on the forums overall.

I think that more people should learn 2A or 3A, because if you have the level of control necessary to be proficient in these styles, you can do really well in any style. The amount of practice is much, much higher than any other style, but it feels really rewarding when you get a trick down, even just 2 handed loops.

2a and 3a seem to have the least people doing them. Off the top of my head I can only think of 4 2a players and 2 3a players.

I agree. For me, the learning curve for 2A has been quite high and my progress has been especially slow. do feel the time I’m putting in is worth it, but I’m just still not seeing real results for myself.

3A I don’t see being quite as difficult from one point of view. I can do 1A on my right hand, so I’d have to re-learn 1A on my left hand. I don’t see that being hard. What I do see hard is getting my hands cooperate. I do intend to be able to do some 3A, but that’s a ways off.

I don’t know where you’re at, but I think the most important part of basic loops and hop the fence is getting the right release off the throw, with the yo-yo already tilted at the correct angle for continuous looping. It should be just like you’re already in the middle of looping.

Experiment with different starting wrist angles and motions until you get it. For me, basic loops were counter-intuitive. I found that starting with my wrist rotated outward then swinging inward got it going just right. Once I got the throw down, looping came much easier. Wish I had just experimented with forward pass until I got the tilt down right. Probably wouldn’t have taken that long.

Even though it takes tons of practice to get proficient at 2A, practicing efficiently and deliberately can make up for many hours of sloppy practice.

Sorry if I’m saying what y’all already know. ;D

I think that 2a is the most impressive to an untrained audience because its really fast and the 2 yo-yos at the same time make it even better

Currently when I mess up ,which is 50% of the time, it’s the 4th loop and the yoyo kinda spins into a sideways UFO.

I’ve got looping pretty well down pat now, but it helped me when I got really good with my dominant hand; then when I started with my left I’d concentrate mainly on my left. That way I’d be looping by instinct on my right while practicing with my left. That at least got them going at the same. Then after doing that a while, I was able to do both without full mental attention. :slight_smile:

Day 2: Can do about 20 consecutive loops in each hand. Can do about 3 simultaneous and 3 alternating.